Old 08-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sewer Solution

In response to a question on another thread, I just got this little gizmo and it works! It replaces your slinky hose with a one inch hose. The hose is partly clear so you can verify that it is running clean before disconnecting. Also it's thick walled so you can't poke a hole in it with a twig, fingernail, etc. Nothing like having a six month old slinky turn into a "soaker hose".

Order it online or check your Camping World magazine (where of course it's less expensive.... sigh). Do a search of "sewer solution" or go to www.sewersolution.com for more detailed info.

Two things I found out on my first use of the Sewer Solution. 1) on my A/S I did have to change the direction of the quick connect valve - my blackwater shutoff protruded too far out and interfered with it, but by pulling it out and changing it so that it fit on the gray water side, it worked fine. (READ the directions and to ease the "O" rings back in, work from the inside of the sewer fitting.) 2) a one inch hose will drain a lot slower than a 4 inch slinky, BUT most of that problem is that this thing fits SO tightly that it creates a vacuum. If you just pull the small sealing plug out of the quick connect, air will go into the sewer solution and the fluids will drain much faster. I only hook up my rinse hose & bucket (see previous "Mascerator?" thread) when I'm concluding draining my black tank which I do about every three days. Almost everything in the black tank is liquid at that stage and drains by itself, but the rinse hose cleans the fugitive "bits" of toilet paper or whatever quite well. My CCD does have built in rinsing within the tanks, but again there are issues with hooking a white water hose to a gray or black tank, so again I use a bucket that I've rigged up with a short hose. I also fill my toilet bowl and kitchen sink with fresh water, drain my tanks then pull the plug on the sink and flush to create a tidal wave of water to drain leftovers from both tanks.

I've heard elsewhere that Airstream owners think their ..... doesn't stink, which is poetic license I'm sure; but the thing about a standard slinky is that it is flimsy and punctures easily, the inside is ribbed so there are plenty of nooks for stuff to stay in and "ferment". The sewer solution doesn't have that problem and being only a one inch hose you can rinse it thoroughly. It also fits EASILY in the rear bumper - in a plastic box I found at Walmart. I hated getting my old slinky out of it's storage pipe because it fit so tightly that I couldn't open or close it without using a strap wrench.

Tin Lizzie

Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
While pre-shopping for our stream' I stumbled across an ad for the sewer solution and figured anything that made that particular task any easier was worth trying. I've got to say I haven't regretted that decision yet.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Sewage

So has anyone else that has used this product happy with it.I am looking into something that i dont have to worry about getting POO all over me if something were to happenor at least a better solution.Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You may want to read the product reviews from CW. The one where the unit broke and sprayed everything sounds nasty!

http://www.campingworld.com/customer...17&reviews=all

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
3 yrs and running...

I've had my sewer solutin for 3 yrs... best thing since, well, sliced bread. My only downfall was the lack of a hose spigot at some campgrounds, but Paula's idea is so great, I'll use that instead. I've also been thinking of making a "hose bandit," myself, but honestly, I haven't had too much of an issue with it. I honestly can't see how one could break it... it seems pretty much bulletproof to me.

big thumbs up from me!
Marc
Old 08-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I have the system and tend to use it when I'm hooked up to full service at the site. However, when using a dump station when others are waiting it does take alot longer to use so I go back to the slinky instead. Another advantage to it is if at your site the dump is uphill, the system will push waste up to a certain height.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Adapters

What ype of adapters go with the unit so it will hook up to the Airstreams dump.Does it hook up to the adapter or do you have to add anything else.
Would by chance someone might have pics of it.Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
What ype of adapters go with the unit so it will hook up to the Airstreams dump.Does it hook up to the adapter or do you have to add anything else.
Would by chance someone might have pics of it.Thanks
See the reply from AZFLYCASTER - it has a link to Camping World which shows the device and six reviews. I didn't buy any adaptor - my 2005 hooks up to a standard slinky and what came with the Sewer Solution is the same size. I understand earlier A/S's used a different connector though, so I assume they'd use the same adaptor they'd need for a slinky. Vern Townsend (53FlyingCloud) sold me my A/S and was envious when he found out that Airstream had switched over to "standard everything" as he put it. I even have a porcelain throne instead of plastic.

As for the one negative review I just don't understand it "blowing the unit off"? Sounds like he didn't get it connected right in the first place. I found I always have to check the connection to the hose... Now HERE's a dumb design thing... why is everything made out of BLACK or clear PVC? The connection is UNDER your A/S and in bad light you think the hooks have grabbed and everything's locked on tightly... wouldn't it be easier to see if the connectors were contrasting colors like black and yellow? I always do the braille method and feel to make sure both hooks have properly engaged and are fully seated.

And as far as really flushing your tanks, why not just take a 5 gallon bucket of water inside and flush it down the toilet or fill the toilet bowl completely before dumping. Oddly enough I had to adjust to the idea of a wet bath - now it makes more sense to me than having two separate areas. At any rate, In my A/S the bathroom sink faucet is on a hose and converts to my handheld or ceiling mounted shower head. It's no big deal to aim it over the toilet bowl, fill the bowl and flush heartily when I open the black valve. I use the built in tank flush when I'm breaking camp and getting ready to move.

If you only drain your black tank once every three days or so, there shouldn't be any appreciable "solids", they will disolve in the liquids - especially if you use standard (and cheap) septic tank enzyme based cleaner instead of the perfumey formaldehyde stuff. It eats the paper too.

A huge moho just moved into the lot next to me and he commented that he'd bought a Sewer Solution, but that his drain plug "wouldn't fit" the standard 4" drain. I got him to get his out of the storage locker, then I put it over the drain and stepped on it to seat it in the drain! It fits, just VERY tightly - which is a GOOD thing, no stink! He liked my bucket with hose too. Dare I say it thrilled the sh** out of him?

Turns out he's ANOTHER one who always leaves his black tank valve OPEN - so I also told him about the "tower of terror" or the "black hills". A flashlight check and - Houston, we have a problem - - -

I set him up with a couple of gallons of warm water, a large dose of septic tank cleaner and a closed black valve... to erode the black hills! In a day or two it will be dump, flush and retry. Meanwhile he and his lovely wife are using the camp bathrooms to avoid adding extra solid "deposits."

Another poster noted he'd cleaned up a PO's leavings by using septic tank chemicals and letting it sit for 3 months - got news for you - three days it's liquid, three months it's fermented! Poop is very very very biodegradable, warm water, enzymes and 48 to 72 hours later you have "manure tea".

Gee, I've become an expert. (An expert is a former drip, now under pressure)

Have a good night all. Tin Lizzie
Old 08-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Since we're getting to the bottom of this topic I've also attached a link to the stuff I use in the black tank. The OdorCon only takes a couple of ounces, has no formaldahyde (sp) or perfumes. Someone on the forum recommended it and I've used it for over a year with great results.

http://www.billydump.com/3r/3rhome.htm

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I'll use my mascerator instead. I can empty a 35 gallon black tank in three minutes and push it through a one inch hose. The mascerator is easer to use in the long run than using a bulky larger hose.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I have owned and used a sewer solution for several years now. I also purchased an extension hose set for it, which proved to be a good idea.
It can "pump" and mascerate sewage quite a distance, and as someone else mentioned, it will transport it up inclines, eliminating the need for sewer hose supports.
I do use a standard sewer hose at dump stations, as TinHut suggested already. I believe that occasional quick dumping of the tank contents with the good old slinky is essential to keep the tanks clean and odor free.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Question How'd ya hook it up?

OK, based on everyone's reviews, I went out and bought one for myself. I looked at the install guide, our sewer outlet on the AS, and reailized that indeed I do have the double elbow connection that needs to be adjusted to fit the Sewer Solution.

http://www.sewersolution.com/installation.htm

One question to those who have it:

I have a metal "ring" around my Y pipe outlet, like a sheet metal frame that is riveted to the sheetmetal of the underbelly. I think it's function is to take the brunt of anything I may accidently hit....

So the question is, in order to "adjust" the double elbow connection and point the "Y pipe" down to fit the Sewer Solution on, how'd you guys get around the metal frame? Did you guys just take it off completely?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 01-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Since we are on the subject, can anyone comment on this product?

http://www.emptythetanks.com/

Sergei
Old 01-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
My elderly dad found a swimming pool vacuum hose, which he retrofitted as a dump hose. It's about 2" in diameter, very hefty, and not heavily ribbed like an RV dump hose. He uses a liquifying de-stink'em agent in his black tank to reduce the size of solids somewhat. Seems to be working great and shows no signs of wear after nearly a decade of use!

Lynn