Old 01-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Cool I just used my Sewer Solution for the first time...

...and I thought I'd share my observations with y'all.

First, it's a quality unit, and well thought out. It works just like it should.

Second, you'll need a Thetford to Valterra adaptor to hook it to your tank; if your trailer is laid out like mine, it will work better with about an 8" extension, so you can position it with the discharge hose pointing down.

It ain't real fast. You wouldn't want to use it with five people behind you in line at the dump station, but that's really not what it's for. IMHO, it's for those times when there's no other way to do it. If you don't need one now, you will some day!

You can buy a supposedly "second" quality direct from www.sewersolution.com for $75, although I cannot for the life of me see a defect in mine.

I used 1" PVC pipe on the discharge - I had to pump the full 10' length of the discharge hose, thru 30' of straight pipe, up a foot and a half, and thru (3) 90 degree bends, and down into the cleanout at my house. Here's a couple tips on piping that will help you out considerably, I believe:

First, do not use regular 90 degree elbows, as they add considerable flow resistance and will slow things down to a crawl. I use 1" PVC electrical conduit sweep elbows, which reduce the flow resistance quite a bit. Same stuff, same glue, more expensive, but they work wonders for the flow.

Second, if you'll be dropping into a cleanout, like I was, add an extension to drop a couple of feet down - this will let you take some advantage of a siphon effect.

Overall, I'm happy as a clam with it. It let me do something that would have otherwise been impossible!

-Don

Old 01-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Would trade for the sewer solution

With a year of use, I could not be more happy. I have yet to use that big, messy 3" hose. I agree that it is not quick, but that is a small inconvenience. I have used mine with 50ft of hose (bought from sewer solution) going up a slight incline to my cleanout and it works perfectly. There is NO way that I could empty my rig at home without the sewer solution. There may come a day when I use the old 3" hose, but it will certainly be the exception to my wishes.

david

Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Sewer Solution

Camping World is advertising something called the Sewer Solution (their part number 16617). It uses a high velocity water jet to pull sewage from the RV sewer pipe and eject it from a small-diameter discharge hose.

Looks interesting, but has anyone had any experience with this or a similar device? It seems to perform sort of the same function as a macerator pump. I'd like to eliminate that big floppy sewer hose if possible.

Bob
Old 07-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
Camping World is advertising something called the Sewer Solution (their part number 16617). It uses a high velocity water jet to pull sewage from the RV sewer pipe and eject it from a small-diameter discharge hose.

Looks interesting, but has anyone had any experience with this or a similar device? It seems to perform sort of the same function as a macerator pump. I'd like to eliminate that big floppy sewer hose if possible.

Bob
I have thought about these and see a big down side with my rig. The shower drains into the main dump pipe and if the sewer gismo ever fails to work the black water will back up into the shower pan.
I guess I'm a chicken and will not be using one of those things.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:48 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

I'm new to camping, but it's the only thing I've ever used and it works great. I carry the larger hose along, but have never used it.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:04 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Merged 3 threads with same topic. Have fun!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:05 PM   #21
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I've had mine for a while, and like it a lot. It flows enough to leave the grey valve open, and eliminates the need for slinky supports etc.
It makes dumping the tanks easy, although slow.
I do use the slinky about every 4th or so time, because the sewer solution does not create enough of a flow to remove everything in the black tank all the time.
But, part of my maintenance routine is filling the black tank with water and flushing it out at dump stations once in a while, when there is no line.
For hookup camping, you can't beat the sewer solution.