Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Mora , Minnesota
Sewer hose storage

Where do you all store your (used) sewer hoses? The built-in storage compartment under the Airstream can fit a small one, but if there's any plastic elbows/joints/couplers/etc, the hose won't fit. Given what it's used for, I don't really want to intermingle the hose with much else. Just throw it in a Rubbermaid container?

Thanks!
sotastreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
We use our back bumper compartment for hose and elbow storage. It works great!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I installed a sewer hose carrier that is a little larger in diameter than the standard one. Cost about $60 I think. It will carry a Rhinoflex with the coupling on each end. But not the elbow. I keep the elbow in the back bumper.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Use back storage drawer. Had mine refashioned out of stainless steel... Spray down the drawer with a bleach solution... After return home.. Or as you want to kill stuff in the tray.

Camping, I flush the hose then disconnect and store... When I store, I collapse the hose and connect the ends to each other... No leaking. No stinking!

At home, get nitrile gloves and a 5 gallon bucket, fill half with water, add two ounces of bleach and push open sewer hose into the solution. Get solution in the hose and slosh around inside... Don't spill on the ground... Discharge into your sewer clean out.... Of course not the on the ground.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
We use our back bumper compartment for hose and elbow storage. It works great!
I kept all our sewer stuff there including a Sewer solution, regular sewer hose and various fittings.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotastreamer View Post
Where do you all store your (used) sewer hoses? The built-in storage compartment under the Airstream can fit a small one, but if there's any plastic elbows/joints/couplers/etc, the hose won't fit. Given what it's used for, I don't really want to intermingle the hose with much else. Just throw it in a Rubbermaid container?

Thanks!
Welcome. I know a few people with connections in Mora.

Like other posters, I have more or less dedicated the back bumper compartment to wastewater hoses and adapters. I still use the stock hose tube for the hose we use at dump stations (which is the one that originally came with the trailer), but have the full hookup related gear in the bumper compartment.

Over time and with many experiments I have ended up with:
- a "viper" hose and elbow
- a cheap 20' hose to use for an extension when the "viper" won't reach
- an adapter that allows me to use a garden hose as a wastewater hose (greywater only), while still making a gas-tight connection to a 3" sewer inlet (useful when a full size hose would pose a tripping hazard)
- spare ends and clamps
- a 2' piece of PVC pipe that is useful as a hose support and for various other purposes
- left over pieces of a rhinoflex hose that didn't last and that I mostly consider to be a failed experiment at this point
Old 07-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I'm going composting on my reno and bathroom redo... This post conforms those decessions
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Get a piece of PVC pipe slightly shorter than the width of the trailer, and large enough diameter to accommodate your hose and attachments. Glue a cap on one end and threaded fitting with clean out cap on the other. Spray Paint black and attach with straps under the trailer.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Get a piece of PVC pipe slightly shorter than the width of the trailer, and large enough diameter to accommodate your hose and attachments. Glue a cap on one end and threaded fitting with clean out cap on the other. Spray Paint black and attach with straps under the trailer.
I have something similar to this in my 84 Excella 270 MH. I used perforated pvc pipe with a screw cap at the rear bumper end and the other end aiming toward the rear axle under my generator with just a threaded rod through that end of the pvc pipe to allow drainage and ventilation. Note that some of the glue on threaded ends have a tight clearance to the sewer hose hooks. I had to grind out some of plastic on mine to get it to fit.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I store in my bumper trunk with both ends sealed. I keep a small bottle of bleach water in there. I use it to wipe the fresh water connections at campgrounds after I watched a guy disconnect his sewer pipe, then wash it using the fresh water spigot and I mean he stuck the sewer pipe over the spigot to do this. Disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Mora , Minnesota
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the back storage compartment is a common place to keep this. Connecting it to itself is a fabulous idea. I also like the idea of using bleach and having it on hand.

Jammer, who/where are the connections you have to Mora?

Thank you all again!
sotastreamer is offline   Reply With Quote