Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2004, 08:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Sewer hose recommendation

My '67 Overlander is in need of replacement sewer hoses. I have, what I believe, are the original connectors. They are white in color which makes me think they are Theford connectors. Since I also have a Macerator, I just want new, regular hoses.

I am a bit confused after reading through the Plumbing Forum. Do I need to be careful about the hose I buy in that it may not fit my connectors? I think I saw some hose at Walmart. Will it probably fit? There are some RV dealerships in town (not Airstream) that can probably sell me what I need if I brought my connector with me for comparison. Is that the safest thing to do?

Anyone have a specific brand recommendation for sewer hoses?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The hose is not an issue. The size or ears on the connector is the thing to watch out for. You have the connectors, so you have no worries. Any generic sewer hose will work. In this area you do get what you pay for. I buy mid line hoses. The cheapies will leak in a year of use, the really expensive ons will hold up for a long time.

The issue is the fact that they all have a wire frame, the hose lies on the ground and small holes get worn in the plastic. Better plastic costs more. It is funny when someone els pulls the valve and it looks like a lawn sprinkler, but not when it happens to you.

Be sure to get clamps, and if you want to make attaching it to the ends easy, take the hose out of the box, lay it in full sun for about an hour, and the ends will slip right in.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Anyone have a specific brand recommendation for sewer hoses?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom, sewer hoses are all the same dimension so you shouldn't have a problem there. As far as hoses go I would recommend buying a 20' hose. I've been to too many sites where a standard 10' hose would have been short or be stretched to its breaking point. I'd rather not have to bridge 2 10' hoses together. Also spend the extra $$ and buy the heavy duty hose. It will last much longer and is more resistant to tears and punctures. The hose is especially prone to puncture when you stretch to reach a far connection. I also use the Presto-fit connecters on the far end of the hose to better connect to the various sewer outlets.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks Brett & Jack!

I noticed Camping World carries the Camco & Prest-o-fit brands of hoses.

Unless someone has had a bad experience, I'm leaning towards the Camco.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I use the camco press to fit stuff.

I carry 2 5 foot sections joined by a no longer available clear union. The clear union is nice because you can see when you are done. I have 2 different bayonet fittings for the coach and use a threaded fitting that works on 4 different sizes of sewer connections.

This system offers tons of flexibility, and I have only had one instance where the hose would not reach in 2 years. I may have to buy another 5 footer and union. I am beginning to notice a little seepage on some of the ends. I have a connection that is near the rear bumper like the vintage trailers have so I can normally get pretty close when I park it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
My trailer has the white conection on it as well. I guess it's thetford. I bought a black thetford to valterra adapter since most of the hose connections use the valterra as far as I can see.

I went with the ez system. They are the bright red hoses and the fittings screw into the pipe. They have a nice threaded peice that fits into the sewer outlet and a right angle the snaps into it. No rocks needed to hold it in place.

I also went with a clear 45 degree angle adapter to come off the trailer. Like Brett it lets you see when things are clean. It also has a connection for a hose so you can back flush the tank and clean the bottom side of the valve. I rarely use that option though.

The hoses and connections have held up great for the last 3 years. They have a starter kit with everything you need, less the clear angle adapter. It comes with a 10' hose. They also sell a 15' hose option, which I purchased and had to use once.

Good luck with your purchase!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Forgot to add. I also started spraying the rubber seals with the silicone spray and coating with silicone plumbers grease to help stop leaks. So far so good!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Self-contained sewer hose and carrier!

I am looking to replace my sewer hose on my 1993 21' Sovereign. Among the many alternatives is a self-contained sewer hose and carrier, the Camco Easy Slip Travel Pak 20. It is a 20ft. clear hose with all connections housed in an integrated storage tube.
Has anyone used this product? Looks like a neat idea! I like the concept because it makes hauling the old slinky a lot more sanitary with minimal use of space.
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote