Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Sewer Hose Question

We're taking our baby out for the first time on Thursday to Jersey Shore Airstream Haven. Although we've tried to anticipate everything, we know that the most important things to carry are an open mind and a pad of paper and pen to write down all the things we forgot/need/want.
My question is sewer hose. The one that Colonial gave us Seems long enough. What is your recommendation. Camping world has an internet sale on a really long one, but would a really long one fit in the storage tube under my 27'? Also, thanks for all the "don't forget" lists!
Mark & Susan

Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The one that Airstream includes is plenty long for most uses, I picked up a longer one because my house poke through is a bit further. One of the things that is important is the thickness of the hose.....for obvious reasons, the cheapo ones tend to tear a bit easier leaving you with, well a mess.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
The one thing on your trailer that you never, ever want to try and save $ on is the sewer hose.

Get the thickest, most expensive one at Camping World. As far as length is concerned, because they compress, a 15' will fit in the tube.

John
Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We keep two 10' hoses in a single tube (coupled together so you can get the 2nd one out if needed...instead of having to reach in to fish it out )...we have a third 10' we can take with us if we are uncertain of the situation where we'll be and which we need to use at home...but we have never had to use more than 20 feet in a camp ground. You can add another of those tubes under the belly pan if you need to. We have a friend who carries her rolled up rugs in them, too.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Relentless is right on, do not cheap out on the sewer hose, 10-15' is plenty but for the most unusual situations. I carry a 10'.

1)Make sure you have a breaker bar for your lug nuts and know that the tire wrench fits good.

2) Ice cube trays
3) Plenty of plastic trash bags
4) An outdoor carpet/rug to put down on the ground in front of your door. This is good to take off your shoes, etc.
5) A small doormat for inside so you can wipe them off when you are too lazy to take them off, like I am.
6) Not critical but something I bought and take with was an auto-transformer for low voltage parks.
7) A small cheap voltmeter
8) Even though you are going to a park, put 10 gallons or so in your fresh tank in case your wife wants to stop and use the facilities, you stop for lunch and want to do dishes, your rig breaks down and you are stuck in a parking lot overnight, etc...
9) Carry some tank chemicals, see last item in #8, but you can get by without, I almost never use them unless boondocked for extended periods.
10) Plastic dish rack small that will fit in your sink.
11) you need more than 1 pan and more than 1 pot.
12) tea kettle unless you don't drink tea
13) You said you were going to jersey shore. I assume you have an external H2O connection. Carry a 25' hose with a nozzle. I also carry a Y fitting to hook onto park water so I can hose stuff off without disconnecting. Then you can spray off outside after you get all sanded up and lubed up with tanning oil
14) Lighter/matches.
15) 30amp to 15/20 amp connector converter.
16) A damn good pair of soft comfortable work gloves. Every good trailer man has a good pair of leather gloves. Wear them religiously, they will keep your hands clean and keep them from getting nicked/scratched up when setting up/pulling out.
17) Enough lengths of 2x6 (enough to span your wheels lengthwise) to block up one side or the other in case your spot sucks and you can't get level side to side. Enough for me is enough to stack two.
18) A 1' level or whatever you have. I have a small one I keep in the rig to set on the counter so that when we unhitch, the wife calls out up or down, and we get it dialed in. I like my rig a little high in the back (head of bed is to back in ours) since sleeping with your head inclined down can be a very uncomfortable feeling but that is just me.

I assume you have all the other usual stuff, this was just the stuff I could think of that did not necessarily make the first trip that we took, but was definitely part of the package by the 5th trip.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The best sewer hose I have tried is a Rhino hose. It is tough and expandable from 5' to 15' It will stay in the 5' length if you want it to and stay where you put it so you don't feel like you are wrestling an anaconda.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I quit the slinkies 2 years ago. They are junk. I went tot he Sewer Solution, never to return.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I quit the slinkies 2 years ago. They are junk. I went tot he Sewer Solution, never to return.

Brian
AMEN! I also use it. Just SO much less disgusting and so easy to clean up after.

Paula
Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Sewer hose.

Hi, my trailer came with a 10' hose and the very first camp ground I stayed at, it was too short. I bought a 20'er and store it in my rear bumper storage compartment because it wouldn't fit in the tube.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
So any lessons learned after a sumer of camping? Hope all is going well for you.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Lessons learned? Lots! Rule # 1. Have fun! Be flexible, don't sweat asking "dumb" questions. Rule #2. Friends are great, but I'd rather it was just the two of us in the 'stream. Rule #3. What you don't bring is as important as what you do bring.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
As a veteran camper and novice Airstreamer I found out the hard way that the connector on the outflow tube is not the same as most slinky's sold at camp stores. Pay attention to the coupler when you buy your slinky.

Bob
Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Thanks to moosetags and Foiled Again, ( Brian and Paula), I bought a Sewer Solutions. Some of the best advice I've received on this forum. I now keep a slinky in the tube for emergencies. The Sewer Solution is the way to go.

John
Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We lived in our MH for 2 months in the driveway of our rental property before heading out fulltiming. We learned what we needed & what was excess weight. Keep that pad & pen handy to write down what you use & what you wish you had when you go out. After several trips you'll find stuff you packed just in case that just gets in the way. There are many "just in case" items that are easily purchased as needed at Walmart or camp supply stores. We can guide you but expereience is what will be your best teacher. Don't forget to enjoy the trip, that's why you go through the work.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote