Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Sewer hose fell out or was misappropriated

At the end of our last trip we rolled into the campground and found the sewer hose storage cap hanging by the tether and the hose MIA. We had stopped for the afternoon at a hot springs and the trailer was parked in less then great spot. There were many signs saying not responsible for theft from vehicles, etc.

So, I don't know if someone actually misappropriated the hose or the cap came open going down the road and the hose fell out. We were on some really crappy roads so I'm guessing that is possibly and I can't imagine someone taking an old sewer hose, yuck.

Has anyone had problems with the storage cap coming off going down the road? Any good solutions to make sure it does not come loose short of a piece of tape?

Also, I'm buying a new hose and fittings and don't remember if the one from Airstream had an angled end that connects to outlet or if it was straight. It worked fine for me whichever one it was so I'd like to order the same.

Thanks!
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've lost one on the road also, and feel sure it was not stolen. "Stuff" happens.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If someone stole a used sewer hose, shame on them. Like you said...YUKKK!

A number of years ago we were pulling Old Lucy down the road. I happened to take a glance in the driver side rear view mirror and saw the greater portion of my bright red slinky dragging along the road. One end was still in the tube. I was able to stop pretty quickly and put things back together. It had been dragging for a while as the end was pretty torn-up.

If I had not taken a glance when I did, I'm sure that slinky would have been history. The cap on my storage tube was tight, so I am guessing that I had failed to close it properly.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have lost several in just this way over the years.

Maggie
Old 04-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hmmm, never happened to me ..... yet ..... but if it did, I guess my first thought to prevent a repeat would be to look at the possibility of drilling a small (1/4"?) hole on an angle through the cap and diagonally through the side wall of the tube when the cap is in the closed position, then finding some sort of locking pin through both holes so it couldn't rotate.

Alternately, if you have enough free space in the tube when the hose is in there, just a drill a hole right across the tube so you could put a securing pin or rod across so that even if the tethered cap comes off, the hose could not work its way out with the pin in place.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Solution is duct tape. Silver so it matches the tow vehicle and the trailer. If you apply it correctly it pulls off your latex gloves so you do not have to touch them and keeps them flapping in the wind to remind you to reinstall the hose for the next sewer connection. Duct tape wraps up into a nice neat package to throw away. Just make sure to repeat the glove removal process or you have to wash your hands. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I do have a suggestion to the question about an angled connection to the sewer hose connection. I bought a clear plastic angled connector, this allows me a visual on the emptying of the tanks. Makes life easy, not odor free.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
We have had the sewer hose storage cap open while traveling but we don't use it... too short.

I keep mine in the bumper storage with the flush hose since that compartment is stainless and drains.

I can't imagine someone stealing a sewer hose.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
If your hose was in a storage tube, then it likely did not have an angled head. I don't think the angle fitting will go into the tube.
I made my own storage tube using 4" PVC and used a loose fitting cap that was held in place by a 5" long bolt with a wing nut. If your cap continues to come loose consider a 5 "x1/4 or 5/16 bolt and drill the cap and tube so the bolt goes through both and fasten with a wing nut
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Had it happen this summer. Hose dragged hard enough to pull loose the carrier. I saw that dragging and stoped. A car stopped and said they saw a run over hose a couple of miles back. Just put the replacement carrier on Tuesday. I have both the angled and the straight fitting. I much prefer the straight fitting.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
If you apply it correctly it pulls off your latex gloves so you do not have to touch them and keeps them flapping in the wind to remind you to reinstall the hose for the next sewer connection.
A home-care nurse taught me the trick to removing dirty gloves when I was temporarily home-bound following surgery, and had to self-administer intravenous antibiotics— wearing disposable latex gloves.

Grab the right glove at the inside of the wrist with the thumb and index finger of the left hand. At the same time, grab the left glove at the inside of the wrist with the thumb and index finger of the right hand. Pull both hands apart while holding onto the gloves. If done properly, both gloves will end up inside out, one glove inside the other, and you never have to touch a dirty glove surface.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Our cap is so loose it won't stay on. At first I used a plastic toothpick, then I found a mini bungee cord . Problem solved, my hose never fell out, but when people beeped a few times I became aware of the issue.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The under the belly pan storage tube on my 20' FC has a white cap and a white end. It is very hard to see when they are properly aligned when fully closed. I put a piece of colored tape on mine between the fixed and movable parts, when I was sure I had it done right. I slit the tape with a knife and now when I put the cap on, I can easily see that it is properly aligned, and thus closed up right. When the cap is on right, there is no possibility of it coming off by itself, at least on the one on my rig.

A straight end is all that will fit into the tube on mine, no angled fitting will fit.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Yep it happened to me on my last trip. Not only did the hose bail out, but the wind ripped the plastic cap off as well. Lucky I had a spare hose in the outdoor storage compartment.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Anybody who would steal somebody else's used sewer hose - trust me on this - needs it a lot more than you do.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I used a small hitch pin clip to secure it from rotating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp0366.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	260716  
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Have never used the sewage storage tube use the rear bumper and bungee cord stretched to both securing tabs. Haven't lost anything yet come to think of it. Have never opened the tube up. Might be a storage hose in it. Won't hurt to look! Life is good!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
On my Bambi II I lost the entire hose and tube while going down the highway. I do not use the tube in the Safari. I keep my hoses and misc extras in the bumper compartment.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm pretty sure mine came with a 45 degree fitting with the factory supplied line, and if so it did go in just fine. I think I'll just add a piece of tape for now and once I get the trailer back home add a pin to make sure it doesn't open.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote