Old 01-18-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
Sewer Hose Connector

The bayonet sewer hose connector that came with my '65 Globetrotter doesn't fit. It's just a hair too small. Thanks goodness my friend and her Airstream were with us, I borrowed hers on our last trip.

What do I need to buy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
sewer fitting

Diana,
You bought a standard fitting which you found is just a tad too small. Camping World sells an adaptor made by Valterra that converts the larger Thetford bayonet fitting down to the standard 3" bayonet fitting. The CW in Nashville also had Thetford fittings on their shelf so I bought the Thetford 45 degree hose adapter just in case my adapter was lost or broke.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Thanks, Craig!
I appreciate the feedback. I'll go in on Monday and get the adapter. I was glad my friend had one that fit.... the trailer was sold to me with a full black water tank! Didn't find that out until I got home.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:23 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
diana

are you saying you bought a load of......? oh well, you know what i mean!

sorry i couldn't resist!

john
Old 01-19-2003, 07:58 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Unhappy

Yea, I hate to admit it, but I did! I was surprised since the toilet was replaced before I brought it home. You think they would have noticed!
Old 01-31-2003, 11:47 AM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
want to get this right!

We are trying to get things together for a possible trip this Spring, we made a list and realized we had no sewer stuff (no hoses or adapter or couplers). Looked into CW and saw #14020 listed as a "Presto-Fit Ultimate Sewer Kit" with 2 10' hoses, 1 universal adapter and 1 coupler. My ? is what is missing? Even tho this says it has everything, I don't feel quite sure enough about our trailer knowledge to accept that. Where does the Valterra adapter come in? Help, Help!!!! Leigh
Old 01-31-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

You will need a "white" Thetford coupling to hook to your airstream. The one in the kit most likely is for the standard fitting used today. It will be too small. Other than that, you should be in good shape!

Tripp
Old 01-31-2003, 12:38 PM   #8
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Tripp - thanks. I still have a bit of a problem. I went back to CW re:Thetford coupler. They don't list Thetford (I put it in search). Is this the same as the Valterra adapter listed above? Also, they listed a 25' hose(Presto-fit) on sale for $31.47. Would it be better to just buy a 25' hose and the coupler(s) for each end rather than 2 10' hoses and joining them? Leigh
Old 01-31-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sewer Hose Connector

Greetings Leigh!

You are unlikely to find a Thetford connector in any kit other than one that might be sold by an Airstream dealer. Most of the kits will have Valterra adapters that will not fit the OEM outlets on either Vintage Arogsys or Airstreams.

The Thetford sewer hose adapter is available as a separate part from Camping World the last that I checked, but I don't believe that they list it in their on-line catalog. I believe that it is available only through their mail-order catalog or at their stores. I know that I purchased mine at their suburban Chicago store last spring.

In addition to the sewer hose adapter, you might want to consider purchasing a spare termination cap with garden hose adapter if you plan on attending WBCCI Rallys in the future. It is also nice to have a spare with a Minuet (at least if the 22' is similar to the 20') as it is very easy to drag the termination cap off when entering or exiting a steep drive. I did just that on my first day with my Minuet 6.0 Metre.

I have found that a 10' sewer hose is usually adequate for dumping the holding tank, but usually find that a 25' hose is nice for those extended stays at a campground with full connections. I am planning to mount a carrier tube on the Minuet for one of the hoses similar to the pair that I have on my '64 Overlander.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I have to be different :>

This summer I bought the "sewer solution" from CW, and it fit right on my "sewer pipe." I dreaded the thought of leftovers sitting in the corrigated pipes. So far, works great, just as advertised, although I was a bit taken aback by the small diameter of the tube. So far, no clogs!
Marc
Old 01-31-2003, 02:24 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
OK guys, don't give up on me yet.....Marc, it sounds like your "sewer solution" takes the place of all the hoses, connectors, adapters, etc. I looked at it on CW. We do most of our camping at this point w/o full hookups. More boondocking (altho we haven't done anything in "Mini" yet) Have you used it in different situations, including boondocking. I am guessing you would find/be close to a dump station and use right away, altho the ad on CW indicated you could take it home and use a toilet.....whewwww???? That might be scary!!!! I am definitely still in training here. Leigh

Kevin Thanks for the tip on the Thetford. We have a CW fairly close by. I will call to see if they have on shelf... want to know all options.

Update. I just called the local CW, the good thing is they carry Thetford. The bad thing is they carry several - so am I suppose to ask for the 45 degree Thetford Adapter, as mentioned above. Is that what the Argosy uses? Wow, never suspected sewage issues could be so overwhelming!!
Old 01-31-2003, 04:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
"sewer solution"

Leigh,
The sewer solution is an "all in one" item that uses a jet spray from a water source to "breakup" waste and propell it down a SMOOTH small diameter tube to the waste station. (Sounds EXCITING doesn't it?) The advantage that I notice is that I can backwash a bit into the black tank, and then clean up the tube without disconnecting - just one neat operation without getting my hands dirty (although I use rubber gloves anyway - call me a freak ) and no residuals in the slinky -because it is a smooth tube. I suppose one could empty just liquids without the water spray, and one previous poster did mention that they use enzymes (which I use) and don't notice a problem dumping without the water. I'm either at a dumping station with a hose, or only a short time without hookup. By boondocking, do you mean without a dump station, or at one without water hookup. Any dumpstation with a water spigot to clean up will work.

By the way, does the grey tank flush into the black tank, or just into the same outlet hose? I'm never sure that if I was to empty the grey tank first by accident that it would overfill a full black tank?

Anybody know? - Marc "just a waste wondering boy"
Old 01-31-2003, 05:00 PM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
the grey tank shouldn't back up into the black tank, unless you leave the black tank valve open. you're right...they just share the same outlet.

one thing I found out (the hard way) about the sewer solution is that if you don't have a grey tank, your sewer can backup into the shower (yuck ). since I don't have a grey tank, the shower and sink drains just flow into the sewer outlet; when you open the valve for the black tank, that stuff takes the path of least resistance to exit the system, and since the shower-pan actually lower than the top of the black tank.....

all it took was one slight delay from a wad of TP in the sewer solution. sure, the high pressure stream of water broke it up and sent it along...in about 3 seconds. that 3 seconds was enough to allow the drain pipe from the shower to fill with sewage, all the way up to the shower pan. So I'll not be using it again until I either install a valve on the gray-line outlet line, or retrofit a grey tank.

you guys w/ grey tanks dont' have anything to worry about, though...

Of course, this isn't the "sewer solution's" fault. I found that the same thing can happen w/ a slinky. one place we stayed last fall had the sewer hookup located uphill from the parking spot, and I didn't have any decent support system for the slinky. I think the inlet to the campground sewer was only slightly lower than the floor level of my trailer, so the slinky sat down on the ground, then travelled uphill to the connection. When it was time to dump, the same thing happened. just that tiny bit of back-pressure slowed down the flow for just a second, and a little bit of sludge wound up in the shower again. I understand why they didn't put grey tanks in these older units....but they shouldn't put some sort of valve on the grey line outlet to prevent this sort of backup. Oh, well. Live and learn, eh?
Old 01-31-2003, 05:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sewer Hose Connector

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
Update. I just called the local CW, the good thing is they carry Thetford. The bad thing is they carry several - so am I suppose to ask for the 45 degree Thetford Adapter, as mentioned above. Is that what the Argosy uses? Wow, never suspected sewage issues could be so overwhelming!!
You might want to double-check your Minuet to verify the angle that you need. The termination valve points directly down toward the ground on my 6.0 Metre Minuet, but I don't know if this is true on the 6.7 Metre model. Even with the arrangement on my coach, I generally use a straight adapter, but carry a 45 degree angled adapter in case there is reduced clearance due to approach or departure angle problems at the dump station. The 45 degree angle is also necessary for periods when I am hooked up to full connections.

Greetings Chuck!

Quote:
the grey tank shouldn't back up into the black tank, unless you leave the black tank valve open. you're right...they just share the same outlet.
I am not certain, but I don't believe that the gray tank would back up into the black tank on my Minuet as the gray tank is actually somewhat lower than the black tank both of which are mounted above the floor in my Minuet.

Quote:
all it took was one slight delay from a wad of TP in the sewer solution. sure, the high pressure stream of water broke it up and sent it along...in about 3 seconds. that 3 seconds was enough to allow the drain pipe from the shower to fill with sewage, all the way up to the shower pan. So I'll not be using it again until I either install a valve on the gray-line outlet line, or retrofit a grey tank.
Depending on the type of drain in your shower pan, it might be possible to find a snug fitting rubber stopper to insert in the drain. I have one for my Overlander (it has the 3/4 tub rather than a true shower) that is always firmly inserted before either traveling or dumping the holding tank. I just wish that I would have been in the practice of keeping it plugged during the WBCCI International Rally in Dayton - - returned to the coach after a session at the Nutter Center and found that gray water had backed up and nearly filled the tub - - we were connected to a gray water disposal system that wasn't able to cope with the slope where I was parked and my bathtub became the retaining pond - - at least temporarily.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote