Old 02-01-2003, 02:26 PM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hello again.

Called CW. We are going to look into purchase of several different Thetford connectors and try for best fit, if we go that route. Salesman said that would be best way to go and return ones that didn't work with receipt. Didn't know if we could, if we opened package, but he said yes - sounds reasonable.

Price wants to also check into the Sewer Solution. As far as boondocking, I meant "pretty rustic" usually no dumpstations at campsite, water might be a pump, toilet maybe a regular built facility, but often just a port a potty. So question is, is Sewer Solution" going to make the process go more smoothly, quickly, happily, when we have to take trailer to dumpstation and back to campsite after couple of days camping? Marc, have you used both methods? The cost could well be worth it, if it makes that job A LOT easier, faster and pleasant. I welcome all imput. Thanks, Leigh

Old 02-02-2003, 11:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Sewer solution

Hi Leigh, sorry, just back from the w/e. Well, I never did try a slinky. Just the idea of having to open the system to flush the leftover waste in the tube out disgusted me, as I knew the grey H2o wouldn't be enough to flush it through. The "Flush King" (also sold at CW) would do the same thing as the sewer solution - I think. However, there still is the risk of leftovers being trapped in the folds of the slinky. Cost wise, by the time I would have bought all of the attachments, hoses, etc, I thought I was pretty close to the cost of a Sewer solution (don't even get me started on the idea of the attachments coming apart while dumping! ) It seems like you wouldn't be dumping at your boondocking sites until you get to a dumping station - so I guess the availabilty of H20 is not an issue. So far, I really like the SS. No problems so far, although reading Picks post makes me want to get a stopper for the shower, just in case. I also have a box of medical gloves I keep in the trailer just for "dirty" procedures. (ok, call me a wimp!) The SS is alot smaller to store away, and seems a very clean "solution" to the "unpleasant" side of camping. Besides, it was kinda fun to watch everything "blow" down the hose - AND because it is clear, you can see when your tanks and hose are clean. (I have one of those front washers that you can see your laundry go roundandround. Keeps me entertained as well. Wife says I'm a cheap date!)
Marc

Old 02-03-2003, 03:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Leigh,

You want the "white" connector. The size should be the same for all white Thetford brand connectors. They should have it or should be able to get it for you. I bought mine there. You will need to determine if a 45 degree or stright fitting will be best. The easiest way I've determined is by where your dump fitting is. If it is in the bumper area with the pipe coming out the side of the frame, then a straight fitting will be best. If your dump pipe is exiting the bottom of the trailer, then a 45 would be best.

Good luck!

Tripp
Old 08-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp
You will need a "white" Thetford coupling to hook to your airstream. The one in the kit most likely is for the standard fitting used today. It will be too small. Other than that, you should be in good shape!

Tripp
Ok, here I am in camp right now. We arrived yesterday and the so-called standard fitting does not fit my 2005 model? How can Airstream a build trailer in the current day and not use the "standard" size couplers? The kit my Airsteam dealer gave me is the standard kit and it doesn't fit! Why even give it to customers if it won't fit? Uggh, so frustrating!

Fortunately, I found the coupler that fits, but the standard-sized hose clamps aren't large enough to clamp the hose to the larger diameter of A/S coupler, so I had to use the old stand-by - Duct Tape!

My question is this: Is there a 'reducer' coupler made that fits the larger airstream size coupler down to a 'standard' size can be placed on?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic67
Ok, here I am in camp right now. We arrived yesterday and the so-called standard fitting does not fit my 2005 model? How can Airstream a build trailer in the current day and not use the "standard" size couplers? The kit my Airsteam dealer gave me is the standard kit and it doesn't fit! Why even give it to customers if it won't fit? Uggh, so frustrating!

Fortunately, I found the coupler that fits, but the standard-sized hose clamps aren't large enough to clamp the hose to the larger diameter of A/S coupler, so I had to use the old stand-by - Duct Tape!

My question is this: Is there a 'reducer' coupler made that fits the larger airstream size coupler down to a 'standard' size can be placed on?
The Hose size for a Thetford fitting is not any different than the Valterra, hose clamps sold along side these fittings at any RV store will work. I don't understand what your experiencing. Show us a picture of what the dealer sold you and the "new" fitting you bought and the hose clamp that doesn't fit.

BTW, you should just buy a Thetford fitting and put it on a normal sewer hose and do away with any adapter. Just something to get lost and screw up your trip. Everyone with new coaches has hoses that work fine, so you should have no problem finding the correct combination.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Langley
Thanks, Craig!
I appreciate the feedback. I'll go in on Monday and get the adapter. I was glad my friend had one that fit.... the trailer was sold to me with a full black water tank! Didn't find that out until I got home.
I know this post is a little old, but in reading it I am having visions of Robin Williams at the dessert dump station on his first night in the RV. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
The Hose size for a Thetford fitting is not any different than the Valterra, hose clamps sold along side these fittings at any RV store will work. I don't understand what your experiencing. Show us a picture of what the dealer sold you and the "new" fitting you bought and the hose clamp that doesn't fit.

BTW, you should just buy a Thetford fitting and put it on a normal sewer hose and do away with any adapter. Just something to get lost and screw up your trip. Everyone with new coaches has hoses that work fine, so you should have no problem finding the correct combination.
While I have a Thetford termination cap and the Thetford cap with male garden hose fitting to connect to my grey hose, I use my Valterra adapter so that I can connect a clear angle fitting in order to check the color of fluids exiting my tanks. It also allows me to connect a FlushKing to reverse flush my tanks should I desire. I wish Thetford made clear fittings.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #22

1986 32' Excella
Athens , Alabama
Had the same problem when I got my 86 Excella without drain hose.

The "standard" drain connection is 3 1/2 inches inside diameter where it twists onto the AS. The Thetford that I needed is 3 7/8 inside diameter. Found a 45 deg connector at a local RV supply. I could tell it had been hanging on display for a long time.

The Thetford number for the 45 degree connector is 01665. It is white in color.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Just go to the CW website and order a complete set:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...gs/prodID=1712

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #24
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Like some others here, I learned the one the hard way; as I was getting ready to dump for the first time with our new Excella!

Ordered that set from CW as soon as we got home...

Anyway; what have others done to adapt a Flush King to the Thetford size dump valve?

Thanx, Bill
Old 08-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #25

1986 32' Excella
Athens , Alabama
Flushking to AS via Thetford

You could probably easily make an adapter as shown in the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	24600  
Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

south bend , Indiana
airstream holding tank question

I am considering buying a 1974 30' ambassador. I will be putting it on my lot for a least five years and want to know if there is a way to have the waste end up in a holding tank or somewhere that I could get rid of it or have a septic guy take care of it for me.

Any ideas?

T