Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
Chuck/Skye, Where did you find the 6" clear extension? Does not seem to be available from Sewer Solution. Thanks. Jack
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39572-Cl.../dp/B00192KZQ2

Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Does this extension hook right up to the A/S or do you need an adapter of some sort?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #31
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It hooks right on to any Airstream with a standard Valterra connector on it which includes any made after 2005 and any earlier ones that have been converted. For a 1978 you need a Thetford to Valterra adapter.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Gotcha...thanks.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
Chuck/Skye, Where did you find the 6" clear extension? Does not seem to be available from Sewer Solution. Thanks. Jack
We got it at a local rv supply. (sob) the clear extension allows you to see progress as well. Also agree with posters about backflow prevention. Just follow the instructions.
I'll get a picture on here later for you.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are a lot of options. Some people are more grossed out by sewers than others and some decisions are based on that. We use a Flush King to backflush the tanks periodically. You can see what is coming out until after a number of back flushes the water comes out clear. We have a dedicated garden hose to deliver water to the Flush King and the device has a ball valve built in to prevent backflow. If you can't see what is coming out, you can't know if the black tank is clean.

Our first sewer hose was a cheap slinky with detachable ends that we bought at the dealer when we picked up the trailer. It was a pain to screw the ends on and sometimes if you don't get it right, they leak.

After fighting this thing for too long, we bought Revolution by Camco. Though you have to be careful about anything so far as quality at Walmart, that's where we found it. The ends are glued on and for about 2 years it has worked fine. It had 2 sections of 10' and they lock together well. There are caps for each end so they don't leak nasty water afterward. Sometimes 20' isn't enough and so I bought a 10' extension I found on the internet. Amazon may have all of this available.

The Revolution hose is ultraflexible and needs some support. There is a product that opens like an accordion—can't remember the brand name—that provide support for 15' or so. Sometimes some blocks of wood help support it. Sometimes the sewer connection at the CG is too high and I have to hold the hose and move the remaining fluids along. Not fun, but it works. We keep the original junk hose and ends with us for extra long needs.

We keep most of this stuff in a large plastic box that lives in the back of the truck along with some rubber gloves that provide some cleaniness to your hands.

A rigid support system made of PVC, for example, will not work for many sewer connections because every one is different. Sometimes they are so close, a 10' hose has to be attached like an S.

When people are thinking of buying an RV they rarely think about sewers. This is not the best part of camping, but is necessary.

Gene
Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
At the risk of being on the bottom of the dog pile, I have to add another comment about a picture above. Mixing potable water and sewer connections is really a recipe for disaster. Fresh water filters and potable water hoses don't mix with the connections to the black and grey water tanks and the sewer. I believe the picture above is a case study in bad camp sanitation.

I beg to differ. 500+ nights of camping and dumps with the Sewer Solution, and it works flawlessly. The system is set up to preclude mixing black with gray or fresh. It is NOT a recipe for disaster, nor is Lucy's set up a study in bad sanitation. On the contrary, what you see in the photos is an excellent and responsible RV dumping set up.

It is the stinky slinky set up that is questionable. I can not count the number of times that I have personally observed black water escaping from another camper's slinky through several tiny pin holes.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Back to the pic I promised earlier. Here is how the clear extension looks, installed on my 84 Sovereign. (I hate doing this, now I can see I will have to paint the bumper) The extension got it out beyond the bumper so I could connect a water supply to it. We really like it. You can change the valve setting and push water back into your tank for a flush or two. Amazing how much more you can get out by doing that. And the clear extension lets you see if you need to flush again or if you are done. (someone said that earlier I think)
Either way, hope the pic clears up the extension issue for you. And no matter what the ads say, we keep a box of vinyl, disposable gloves handy for connecting and disconnecting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer solution.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	133581  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Are you telling me that a brand new AS does not come with a first class sewer hose? I would expect it to have a potable water hose and of course a shore power cord as well. Maybe it's just me.
The FC 25 I bought this August did not come with a water hose or a sewer hose... for $70,000!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #38

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
One would think that a $70,000 RV would come with a sewer hose like it comes with a shore power cord. It's kind of like buying a new Cadillac, and then having to go to an accessory store and buy a steering wheel for it.

It doesn't really make any sense, but it's the way of the RV world.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #39
RV Fixer

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to wickedrevs56
I would go to the sales manager, grab him by the necktie, ask him to come empty the black tank out for ya. Make sure he gets some all over him, throw him in your shower and invite him to clean himself up!!!!! LOL!!

You would think that if he sells you a new trailer he could throw in $20 worth of accessories........
wickedrevs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
Well, in all fairness, the dealership did provide a 'gift certificate' for $50.00 to buy a few of the things Airstream failed to include. I bought it at George Sutton RV in Oregon.

The issue I still have is that for $70-100k (and without an engine, drivetrain, generator, steering, or proper insulation) one would expect the factory would include premium equipment to include connectors to water and sewer. It's probably a good thing for Thor that the Japanese don't build RVs for the US market.

Russ
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #41
RV Fixer

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to wickedrevs56
Well there is part of the problem...Thor Industries.......not my favorite..
wickedrevs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
This is more the dealer than Airstream. Most dealers provide everything to get you started.
If you want to compare Airstream to General Motors or Toyota, how much gas do they give you in a new vehicle ?