Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Arrow Sewer hookup-what to get

The trailer came with one 10' hose and it has plenty of holes.

So assuming I'm starting with nothing, what should I get to be compatible at most sites and what about these flush systems.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
The trailer came with one 10' hose and it has plenty of holes.

So assuming I'm starting with nothing, what should I get to be compatible at most sites and what about these flush systems.
I use my Sewer Solution about 99% of the time. For a quick dump at the campground dump station I gots the regular old SSSS...(Super Stinky Sewer Slinky)

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Black Tank st*nk.... Peew!

Bob -

When my trialer was new to me I did a lot of asking around here and several members recommended the Flush King. Checked the web site and bought one. Use it religiously!!!

FK is esentially a clear elbow with water hose hookup with a ball valve (I carry a extra green hose so NO mixups occur), and a valve that allows the BT to fill, then dump.

I will flush the BT several times (water is paid for at Full Hookups) and am always surprised at how much Yuck comes out of there. I try for at least 2 flushes, filling the BT to at least 1/2 so that I am sure I got it ALL out. Not getting it all out is where the PEEW comes from. The 'twice fill/flush' cycle takes maybe 5 minutes, depending on water pressure.

The clear elbow allows for SEEING if you got it all. Not the most pleasant thing, I'll grant you! But I would rather SEE that it is all getting out of the BT, than to have problems present because I didn't, couldn't or wouldn't see that it was flushed properly.

My unit actually has a BT sprayer that the PO added but it so far sits untried by me - I have a better solution. Your experience my vary....!

Axel
SilverToy

BTW - I have no interest in FK, in any way. Period.
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You need to be mindfull of what you get. Most models of Airstreams came with a sewer tap that is a slightly different size from the "standard" size bayonet mounting. But once you get that connection, I have found the standard hoses fit it. I also found that two 10' hoses are best. A 10' is sometimes too short to reach to some sewer ports. Also, most camp grounds require you to use either a donut or an elbow at the end of sewer hose into the septic port. Another good item is a hose support to help provide down hill flow. You might consider an all in one kit plus the hose support if the bayonet mount works with your sewer connection. See below from Camping World for $45-$50.
Attached Images

WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Your trailer was originally built with Thetford sewer fittings. Unless a PO changed them out to Valterra, make sure you end up with compatible sewer fittings or appropriate adapters. Thetford and Valterra don't mix - they will leak; not a good thing.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
It all looks original Thetford, I just rebuilt the gate valves so I know!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Then peegreen is correct, you will need adapters to use the kit in the photo. I don't know if my '06 came with Thetford or Valtera, but I bought an elbow kit and the hose that came with the trailer fits without leaks or clamps.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Looking under the hood of some newer Airstreams, I've noticed that some are manufactured with Thetford while others are using Valterra. Don't know the reason for the differences (model), but beware that your fittings may not be compatible with a neighbors. I'm not really into sharing sewer hoses anyway unless we're really good friends or a fellow A/Smer, 'cause you know our %&*# don't stink.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Looking under the hood of some newer Airstreams, I've noticed that some are manufactured with Thetford while others are using Valterra. Don't know the reason for the differences (model), but beware that your fittings may not be compatible with a neighbors.
How do you tell the difference? Is it just the diameter?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
All of the Thetford fittings I've seen are white. They're also slightly larger in diameter.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
All of the Thetford fittings I've seen are white. They're also slightly larger in diameter.
Mine are all black. Does that mean that standard fixtures will fit? My hose is definately tight on the black bayonet connector that came with the trailer and the grey elbow I bought at Camping world.

Also, does Thetford make for anyone other than Airstream?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Mine are all black. Does that mean that standard fixtures will fit? My hose is definately tight on the black bayonet connector that came with the trailer and the grey elbow I bought at Camping world.

Also, does Thetford make for anyone other than Airstream?
As a rule, current Safaris have Valterra; Classics have Thetford.

Other high-end units also use Thetford. There is no doubt that the Thetford product is of better quality than Valterra. They go on and off more easily and don't leak.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Anyone try this http://www.sewersolution.com/basic.htm

Claims the SewerSolution System includes SewerSolution pump unit, a 10' length of Dump Hose and the Full Hookup Adapter Kit. Everything you need to get started! Additional 10' Hose Kits are available to extend the range of your SewerSolution.
The SewerSolution Jet Pump is molded from high strength clear Lexan polycarbonate plastic. The jet nozzle swivels to switch from the Dump to Flush mode. It looks like about $90.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
As a rule, current Safaris have Valterra; Classics have Thetford.

Other high-end units also use Thetford. There is no doubt that the Thetford product is of better quality than Valterra. They go on and off more easily and don't leak.
I won't debate quality issues, because I really don't know and would not be surprised that Airstream saved the higher quality product for the Classic line; they certainly did when it comes to windows, but that is another thread in itself. But my connection doesn't leak and I really can't imagine anything going on any easier. You just slip the bayonet connector over the sewer outlet and turn it a quarter turn and presto, its connected. The hose does seem to fit the standard items at Camping World and even one of the couplers I got at Wal Mart so I'm sure it is the Valterra. I'll look on it this week end when I pick it up from the dealer that is installing the additional awnings and see if there are any brand markings or I'll just ask.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Newer Airstreams

I've got an '05 CCD and an '06 Safari Special Edition. Both take the standard Thetford connector. I've looked at the older ones and the Valterra is definitely a smaller diameter... it isn't a quality problem that causes the leak, it's that the Thetford fitting is too loose for a Valterra.

I do use the Sewer Solution and yepper it works great, and stinks less. It's VERY easy to make sure that there is nothing left in the hose. The hose material is thicker than a garden hose so having it develop a hole is very unlikely and no odor permeates through it. Having gas back up into your tank from the sewer seems less likely too. I rarely have to flush any solid waste down the hose. If you let "it" build up in your black tank for two to five days (depending on occupancy and amount of beans eaten), it will all dissolve into a fluid state. The newer units also have a tank flush system and eeeewwwhhh! it works well.

If you have any solids left they MAY clog the Sewer Solution where the hose connects. The fitting is clear so you can see the problem easily. The SS kit contains a backflow protected quick connect fitting that I attach to a green hose. It blasts the crap to little tiny pieces... and you can aim it and move it back and forth to accomplish this.

I never use the stinky slinky. If my tanks are very full and there was no sewer hookup I dump when there are no lines, or only partially dump. Nothing scrubs your tanks like going down the road with six gallons in them. Dump at the end of a trip and you'll really have waste that is both shaken AND stirred.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Anyone try this http://www.sewersolution.com/basic.htm

Claims the SewerSolution System includes SewerSolution pump unit, a 10' length of Dump Hose and the Full Hookup Adapter Kit. Everything you need to get started! Additional 10' Hose Kits are available to extend the range of your SewerSolution.
The SewerSolution Jet Pump is molded from high strength clear Lexan polycarbonate plastic. The jet nozzle swivels to switch from the Dump to Flush mode. It looks like about $90.
Lipets,

That is the same one I recommended back in post #2 and I think it is the same one Foiled Again is using. I use it all the time when I can. We use it a lot at the house when there are multiple RV's parked there. I only have one sewer hookup available but on occasion have had up to 4 RV's parked there (being used) so we make a morning of pumping out everyone's black tanks typically we run gray out on the ground into the woods or gardens.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I also would most highly recommend the Flush King. The Flush King has become my best "sewer buddy".
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 AM   #18
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Ok, that's the one I'll get.

Is that place the best place to get it?

They appear to be the manufacturer are they.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My '06 has the flush system and so far I have found that if I let it run for the recommended two minutes, the sewer hose is stinky when I disconnect; if I let it run for 10 minutes, there is no smell in the sewer hose when I disconnect. I haven't used it enough to tell what the optimum length of use is, but I have definately found that two minutes is not it!

BTW, rubber gloves and hand sanitizer are my camping best friends!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-26-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Sewer Connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Your trailer was originally built with Thetford sewer fittings. Unless a PO changed them out to Valterra, make sure you end up with compatible sewer fittings or appropriate adapters. Thetford and Valterra don't mix - they will leak; not a good thing.
Hi, "Safari's have Thetford and Classic's have Valterra". Or something like that. My 2005 Safari came with a crappy 10' sewer hose; So I went out to the nearest RV store and bought a good quality 20' hose kit. Works fine. My real question is: Today I recieved my new Camping World Fall 2006 sales magazine and on pages 22, 23, and 24 are three pages of sewer hoses and adapters Etc. I see no mention of anything on these pages declaring different parts for different brands or sizes required for different RVs. Or can I assume that, after a certain date, these become standard for all RVs?

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote