Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Question sewer flushing systems recommendations?

Can anyone tell me if a sewer flushing system realy works and if so any recomendations on brands?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Tracker,
There are some high tech and low tech solutions out there. On our '06 the black tank has a built in tank washer / flusher. There was no such beast on the '87 so we went low tech with the Flush King. It isn't fancy but seems to work ok. Every once in a while we also use a wand that has a rotating spay head at the end to rinse the black tank from the top by opening the toilet and flushing from above. Most RV stores or camping world have the items you want.

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
Can anyone tell me if a sewer flushing system realy works and if so any recomendations on brands?
My built in flushing system died after three months.
I bought a flush king. works much faster and you can see when the tank is clean.
The down the toilet flusher can damage the toilet seal if you close the valve while it is down the toilet. It can nick the edge of the "puck" and cut the seal. You toilet will not hold water from then on.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Pottsboro , Texas
Flush King

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
I bought a Flush King at Camping World based on recommendations from this forum. I am very pleased with it and prefer it (by far) to the built in system on my Safari.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
The Flush King won't help much if you have a couple of 'bends' in the outlet piping - it will only allow some water to back up into the holding tank, and not really clean all that much.

Any of the 'rotating' devices that are permanently installed in the holding tank will eventually get clogged to the extent they won't 'rotate' the flushing water spray any more...

I installed a permanent flushing device (in our Truck Camper) in the side of the holding tank that is a 'nozzle' type, that has a fixed spray pattern. It has a check valve and a quick disconnect connection...I attached a short hose, with another quick disconnect fitting, so I can hook the flushing water hose out away from the tank in a convenient location...It's worked great for years.

I haven't taken the time to install one in the AS yet...the black tank is a 'pain' to get access too...but, eventually I think I'll make the effort...it's really a great way to keep the tank cleaned out when dumping, without having to go back inside the Rig and us a 'wand'...IMHO.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
The Flush King won't help much if you have a couple of 'bends' in the outlet piping - it will only allow some water to back up into the holding tank, and not really clean all that much.
Mexray, I'm confused. Last I heard water goes around corners, so I don't understand how bends in the outlet would matter. It might create a little back pressure, but I don't think it would be very much.

The only problem I had with the Flush King was when I didn't realize how high the water pressure was at a campground and I filled up the tank, then the soil stack, and the water came out of that and down the side of the trailer—it was clean by them fortunately and I know the toilet seal is in really good shape.

Gene
Old 01-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The only problem I had with the Flush King was when I didn't realize how high the water pressure was at a campground and I filled up the tank, then the soil stack, and the water came out of that and down the side of the trailer—it was clean by them fortunately and I know the toilet seal is in really good shape.

Gene
Been there, done that, and bought the T-shirt . But it was with a friend’s mobile home at a dump station at our local Cabela's. We usually rinse once or twice at the campground, fill the tanks half way up and let it slosh around on the way home and do final dump and rinse at the Cabela's dump station. Well we got to talking and did not realize the pressure / volume of water that was coming out of the hydrant. Well all of a sudden we were taking a "shower" as the tank had filled up and was exiting the vent pipe. luckily it was the final rinse and the water was clean.

Another tale of stupidity on my part..On one of our first trips in the '06 I was using the flush king to fill / flush the gray water tank. Well I had the gray water tank gate AND the Flush King gate closed. Well we were at one of those high water pressure campsites. I turned on the water and in a matter of seconds I heard a LOUD pop and water started running out of the pan that covers the tanks. Again, luckily it was the final rinse of the gray water tank so there was no "sludge".

Well I get the trailer home and use my floor jack to support the pan that covers the tanks and proceed to unbolt it. I lower the pan and find that the loud pop was when the Fernco Coupler gave way due to the water pressure buildup. I was able to get the Fernco Couple on and the hose clamps tight (really tight) and the pan back up and bolted fast without too much personal injury or accompanying expletives.

So the moral of the story is if you use the Flush King, ALWAY...ALWAYS make sure that either the tank gate or the Flush King gate is open before you turn on the water or you will be forced to learn how to drop the belly pan.

For those of you not versed in plumbing fixtures and jargon a Fernco Coupler is basically a rubber hose with two hose clamps used to join two lengths of PVC pipe...

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Well I had the gray water tank gate AND the Flush King gate closed. Well we were at one of those high water pressure campsites.

ALWAYS make sure that either the tank gate or the Flush King gate is open before you turn on the water or you will be forced to learn how to drop the belly pan.
Been close to there. I had black and grey water and Flush King gates all closed and water started coming out of the seals at the Flush King gate, soaking a shoe, sock and part of my jeans. Now I know what would have happened had I been at a higher water pressure campground.

I haven't done these things a 2nd time, but a new camping season always provides new opportunities.

One of the good things about the Forum is we find out we are not the only idiots on the planet but just one of a big, happy group of idiots.

Gene
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
One of the good things about the Forum is we find out we are not the only idiots on the planet but just one of a big, happy group of idiots.

Gene
Gene,
I'll drink to that.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Gene,

I guess I wasn't too clear in what I meant about the Flush King...I'm not knocking it, I use a similar gadget, the Sewer Solution SewerSolution that also allows 'backflushing' from the sewer hose coupling on the trailer.

I was referring to the process that the FK (and mine) just fill the flushing water back into the tanks through the dump pipes, and doesn't really 'scour' the insides of the tanks like those jets/fittings that are mounted through the side of the tank and 'blast' the flush water directly onto the inside walls of the tanks...

Kinda 'clunky' description above, but I hope that it is somewhat clearer of my thoughts about my original Flush King comments...on this rather 'organic' subject...
Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Gene,

I guess I wasn't too clear in what I meant about the Flush King...I'm not knocking it, I use a similar gadget, the Sewer Solution SewerSolution that also allows 'backflushing' from the sewer hose coupling on the trailer.

I was referring to the process that the FK (and mine) just fill the flushing water back into the tanks through the dump pipes, and doesn't really 'scour' the insides of the tanks like those jets/fittings that are mounted through the side of the tank and 'blast' the flush water directly onto the inside walls of the tanks...

Kinda 'clunky' description above, but I hope that it is somewhat clearer of my thoughts about my original Flush King comments...on this rather 'organic' subject...
I too have the SewerSolution - and a newer A/S with the built in tank flushers. The built in thingy doesn't do a real impressive job of scrubbing, and the Backflow part of the SewerSolution is only slightly better. I fulltime and regularly use one followed by the other. As the old saying goes "It Happens", so trying to really scrub the tanks is something that will last only a few hours.

The most effective thing I've done is to empty the tank and flush it, then refill about 1/3 to 1/2 the way with warm water, add a small amount of laundry detergent and tow my unit. My goal is to park and immediately drain the tanks or use a dump station as I pull into a campsight. No matter how much water I've used (wasted) trying to get the tanks supremely clean, what comes out clearly (or cloudily) shows that there's always more stuff where that came from. BTW, this is a good treatment for the gray tank too!

Paula
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
My built in flushing system died after three months.
I bought a flush king. works much faster and you can see when the tank is clean.
The down the toilet flusher can damage the toilet seal if you close the valve while it is down the toilet. It can nick the edge of the "puck" and cut the seal. You toilet will not hold water from then on.
Oh yeah if you want to scrub the tank after flushing. Put a couple of gallons of water in the Black tank and dump a bag of ice down the toilet before driving.
Does a good job of getting the left overs.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Until we mount a couple of TV cameras and lights inside the black tank, I won't know what's left, but after what seems like 100 flushes with the Flush King—more like 5 or 6, it comes out clear. That could mean there's still stuff sticking to the walls, of course, but I have to accept what I see. I'm less likely to flush 6 times during a trip—maybe 3 or 4—than at the end of the trip. I haven't put water in the tank to slosh around and then dumped after a day's travel, but maybe will try that. We do put a gallon or two in with deodorizer after flushing. As for ice, besides the fact I'm too cheap to buy some, wouldn't it float and only scour at the level of the top of the water only?

Gene
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Our "RV" moment came at a rally a little over a year ago. My wife had never set up the trailer, but, while I was talking to one of our fellow forum members she starts hooking up the water. She connected the hose and turned the water on full blast. After a few minutes she told me to go check to make sure she did it right. Well. She connected the fresh water hose to the built-in flush connector and the black tank was full. Stupid me went into the trailer and stepped on the toilet flush petal. Can you say, "there she blows!". Fortunately, I released the petal before the toilet overflowed. This campground didn't have sewer connections so I had to use the blue tank to drain the black tank. That's the only time I have ever used the blue tank for black water.

My wife now knows the difference between the hose connectors on the side of the Airstream.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote