Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Malibu , California
Septic Smell be gone

Hello all- I'm pretty new here and wondering if anyone has an ideas on how to reduce or even get rid of the nasty smell that is coming from the small roof vent on the back of my 72 Safari.

I don't want to put any chemicals in my tanks because I dump them in a septic system on my land and I'm thinking I should try a charcoal filter like you would use on a bathroom septic vent (cost $50 or so)... but doesn't seem like that's the norm for airsteam trailers and I don't really see much for discussios on this.

Anyone found any solutions that work good?
jbsamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Empty your septic tank daily. Clean it after you dump the tank....clean it well. Extent the vent pipe up several feet to carry the odors away from the trailer. Your talking about a toilet vent which is doing what it is supposed to do. It is what it is.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Use ridex for rvs (liquid) safe and healthy for your septic. There are other enzyme rv products as well, but I trust ridex brand as I used the home septic version for years and never had to have a pump out, let alone a problem.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Malibu , California
Thanks for the feedback - I also saw something about the Camco cyclone vents might try one of those and the Rid X RV product
jbsamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I've been using the Pure Power stuff for years and it works great. Enzyme-based like Rid-X so septic safe and instantly makes your holding tanks smell Hawaii fresh. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-16-oz-/69997
Old 12-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Ozark , Missouri
Check the drain valves to the sewer

My vents don't smell as long as the valves from the black and grey water tanks are closed. If they're open they're venting the septic or sewer system and it can get bad!. Double check the valves and only open them to drain the tanks
emalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by emalt View Post
My vents don't smell as long as the valves from the black and grey water tanks are closed. If they're open they're venting the septic or sewer system and it can get bad!. Double check the valves and only open them to drain the tanks
Very good advice. I don't connect the dump hose to the sewer port unless actually draining the tank(s).

Using Dometic biotic tank treat & yields good odor control.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Exactly what emalt said x2.
You do not want to leave the dump valve open. That will create a problem with solid waist removal. It is not like the toilet in your house.
If the dump valve is open, the septic system will vent through the black tank and vent pipe on top of the trailer. Not good.
Dump the black tank when it gets 3/4 full, close the valve.
Follow with the gray water to flush the hose. Then close the gray water valve.
With the valves closed you should not get any odor from your septic tank or much from the black tank.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote