Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Cool Septic Hose/How and why?

I used a dump station for the first time this morning. Since I mostly boondock, I see more of this in my future but I'm not a fan. From buying cheap plastic in a big cardboard box that I will have to do again and again when it breaks and goes into the landfill, to stowing this nasty "boa" in precious cargo space in a marginally hygienic manner, it seems like there should be a better way. Why don't the dump stations have a heavy duty, lasts forever hose attached to the hole? I would be willing to pay something per dump.

How do you all store your yucky "boas" or do you have septic dump work arounds that you're happy with?

Thanks, Kim

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I don't think that anybody gets fired up by the idea of playing with the sewer side of the RV. Negative reactions are not at all uncommon. In some ways that's good. It makes you a bit more careful of what you are doing.

A dump hose should last for quite a while. There's really not a lot to wear it out. I suppose you could run over it . Treated properly, it should last for many seasons of camping.

Some trailers have bumpers on them and a tube under the trailer. The hose can go either place. I happen to have a bumper and that's my preferred storage location. I store 20' of hose there and another 20' in the tube. Hopefully you rarely need 40' of hose ....

Dump stations (at least for us) are a relatively rare sort of thing. More often we are somewhere with full hookups at the site and do the weekly flush there. As we move around, making sure that we hit a site like that is part of the planning process. It makes flushing out the tanks and refilling fresh water a lot easier.

As far as a hose (or anything else) pre-hooked to a dump station ... yuck .... If it's my gear, I *know* how it's been washed down. *Anything* at a dump station is suspect as far as I'm concerned....The less of "their stuff" I need to deal with, the better.

Lots of variables

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
It doesn't have to be so yucky

For years, I make dumping the gray water the last thing I do.

After connecting, I dump the black tank first. Then...

I leave the black valve open, then open the gray. Before it begins to 'rush', I pick up the hose so that the gray water backs up into the black tank.

Then after it's run into the black tank for fifteen to twenty seconds, I close the gray valve and drop the hose. Now the gray water runs out of the black tank, rinsing it.

I do this a couple more times, finally closing the black valve, and then allowing the gray water to rinse the inside of the hose.

This rinses out all the nastiness from the hose. Then it's a lot more pleasant to store.

Hope that helps.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I use a SewerSolution system. No big stiff "stinky slinky", the SewerSolution consists of a clear plastic adapter that bayonets onto the dump fitting, and a adjustable water jet that can flush back toward your tanks, or can be used as a pump to 'move things along' when dumping.

It uses a small diameter hose and a water jet to pump and macerate as needed. It also cleans itself and gets stored in my bumper compartment. It is also capable of pumping uphill modest heights. On my rig, I had to add a short straight clear adapter to more easily hook up the SewerSolution system. My dump fitting is a bit far back to easily reach.

Typically I leave the gray tank dump open when I'm hooked up, Black valve securely shut. Saves trouble when DW takes her long, hot showers when hooked up in a campground. When I need to dump the balck tank, I sut off the gray dump valve, use the sewer solution pump with campground water pressure from another hose to pump out the 'stuff' in the black tank, then flush back up the line a couple times to clear it out thoroughly. When it's nice and clean, I shut off the black valve and re-open the gray if I'm staying there.

I do carry a totally unused, shiny new "stinky slinky" in the storage tube under my AS (at least I assume it's still in there) just in case I have a weird situation.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I thought about that solution, but doesn't it take quite a while to empty a 40 gallon black tank?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Not to be gross, but it isn't the gallons that are the problem--it's the 'big chunks'.

If the tank has lots of water in it and the stuff has has some time to turn into a slurry, so to speak, it goes quickly. It is important to use toilet paper that dissolves in a reasonable time. Charmin Ultra Soft seems to work well for us. Test by putting a couple fresh sheets into a quart jar 3/4 full of water. Put the lid on, and shake it thoroughly. If the paper falls apart, it's the right stuff...

I don't have that big a tank, only 21 gallons, but I can dump and thoroughly clean a 3/4 full black tank in 10 minutes or less, including setup time. The SewerSolution water jet is pretty efficient at pumping and macerating the contents of the tank I have.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The OP has a 16 Sport, only one combined black/grey tank.
It DOES have a tank flush system from the factory.
It also has a slinky holder under the trailer, so it doesn' need to get stowed with anything else.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
We are at Norwood ON Fairgrounds for WBCCI ON Rally. They have a dump station like the OP suggested with a supplied, permanently connected waste hose. In the boating community the pump out facility has the hose that everyone uses (although it uses suction to empty the black tank.)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would rather just handle my own hose than have to deal with a broken, dirty one each time. I use the tube under the trailer and some gloves. No problem. But it took a while to learn how and to adjust to it. I do not think the suggestion made by the OP is practical or likely to happen.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Stop at any Lowes or Home Depot, and pick up a box of disposable latex gloves. They come packaged in boxes of 100 so they will last you quite a while. It's still not a enjoyable chore, but the gloves help make it bearable. The hose resides in the black tube that I assume came with your trailer. You'll also need a dedicated black water hose to clean your slinky, and to use on your washout port. This should be stored in a plastic case separate from your fresh water stuff. I like those see through cases with the snap tops so you can see what is what.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I despise the process enough that I had to change it so there was no storing of any sewage related parts in the bumper. That bumper storage is too precious. If I had to keep the stinky slinky there, there's no way I'd also store and contaminate anything else there. Seems like most people do and that's absolutely gross to me.

I added another more functional tube storage underneath next to the stock too short one. Modified it such that the sewage elbow is stored there as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASslinkly1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	321219

More info here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ml#post2000532
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Dominator sewer hose

Hi, I use a Dominator sewer hose. Actually I have five of these hoses. I keep one in the storage tube and four of them in my bumper storage compartment. They are tough and collapse into three foot long sections. Extended they are ten feet long each. Much easier to use and store than any other previous hoses that I have owned.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
"We are at Norwood ON Fairgrounds for WBCCI ON Rally. They have a dump station like the OP suggested with a supplied, permanently connected waste hose. In the boating community the pump out facility has the hose that everyone uses (although it uses suction to empty the black tank.)"

That's what I was thinking of. Thanks.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Well, here is a little good news for you, the problem is a bacteria called - e'coli - but you are immune to your personal e'coli, gloves, rinse and wash up good after the task, you will be good to go.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
It is our goal to dump AFTER driving to a new campground. This allows for the “stuff” to turn to a slurry as a result of the vehicle’s bouncing.

We have never had a problem maintaining a “clean “ tank. Draining is problem free.
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Sportsman trunk

Picked up a sportsman storage bin from bass pro shops. I think they are made by Plano. They are about $8 on sale. Fits two 10’ hoses and all attachments and various ends. Easy to take out of back of the truck, drop on the ground and hook up at site or dump station. Keeps everything organized. Top locks on and makes everything easy. Easy to fill with soapy water once home to wash everything at once. Life is good.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwayne View Post
Picked up a sportsman storage bin from bass pro shops. I think they are made by Plano. They are about $8 on sale. Fits two 10’ hoses and all attachments and various ends. Easy to take out of back of the truck, drop on the ground and hook up at site or dump station. Keeps everything organized. Top locks on and makes everything easy. Easy to fill with soapy water once home to wash everything at once. Life is good.
I'd imagine (really don't want to) the smells upon opening that bin must be pleasant. With all the moisture, heat, and bacteria in there?

I'm a big proponent of it getting quickly aired out and dry. Would rather it not be festering in the bumper storage either.

Just my preference.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
No smell in the bin

We have the tank flush system in our AS and we clean out the hose during the dump procedure. Hose attachment to flush out the hose is easy and quick and you have a clean hose. Three months on the road we didn’t have any unpleasant odors in the bin. It’s hot enough outside just leave it open when you arrive at next campground and all is dry.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
ok. I'll be the first to say it. Have you thought about a composting toilet? No black tank at all. You might be surprised that a composting toilet smells *less* than a conventional toilet, and is easier to deal with. Plus, no wasting all that precious water on flushing. I'm sure there will be plenty of people to disagree, but it works for me and a LOT of other happy campers! ;-)
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Hoses

I wouldn’t use latex gloves as they are too weak. Get nitrile gloves. They r super strong. You can get them at Walmart or Harbor freight or many other places.
Cleaning the slinky hose is not a big deal. After the grey water flush just take your hose that isn’t used for your water supply and hose it out while it is still connected to the sewer.
The bumper storage is not water tight so the hose dries.
Never had an issue.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote