Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My owner's manual says to empty the black tank when it's full, then do a partial fill and dump as a rinse. If the gray valve is stuck closed, the black water wouldn't be able to find a way to the shower. If the gray valve is stuck open, the black water would be able to back flow into the gray tank with the cap on the drain, and the black valve open, but to what level?

If both valves are open, the cap's off, the hose is on, and there's water in the shower pan, something's broke or clogged . . .

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Tennille , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Open the gray water dump and turn on some faucets. Does water come out the dump port?
Negative. There is water leaking out all over the underside, but nothing from the dump pipe. I am about ready to just punch a hole through the bottom of the pipes.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Been any non-marine toilet users who might have flushed a cloth diaper or anything like that visiting lately?

Any wild eyed dope fiends dash in, lock themselves in the head, flush a few times and then run out looking thinner?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Tennille , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Been any non-marine toilet users who might have flushed a cloth diaper or anything like that visiting lately?

Any wild eyed dope fiends dash in, lock themselves in the head, flush a few times and then run out looking thinner?
Nope and nope.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quirk View Post
Negative. There is water leaking out all over the underside, but nothing from the dump pipe. I am about ready to just punch a hole through the bottom of the pipes.
Oooooh....that's bad.....that's very, very baddddd...... You're gonna have to rip into things to find out what's going on. Maybe a junction came loose or something.....stinks to be you (sorry, couldn't help myself)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Tennille , Georgia
If'n I have to "rip into things", I'll end up having to gut the whole thing. I'm not ready to do that yet.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Nah. Still plenty to be done with a little snake with a curly tip on the end.

any chance the shaft between the valve handle and the valve plate itself got unscrewed? Can you feel the valve moving?

I had to take the valve off my old Fleetwood Jamboree Class C years ago. At the end of a three day weekend trip with wife and two kids. It was not a pretty thing. The experience scarred me. I still have a very difficult time accepting more than a little sh*t from anyone....
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you have water leaking all over from the underside you will HAVE TO drop the belly pan to fix it! Everyone on this forum can debate what's wrong till we are all blue in the face, but you will have to get at the pipes to see what is leaking and what is plugged to fix it. And that means the belly pan has to come off. It's not that hard to do, just do a search here as there are many posts on it. Once you find out what's leaking we can help.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Tennille , Georgia
Quote:
Nah. Still plenty to be done with a little snake with a curly tip on the end.

any chance the shaft between the valve handle and the valve plate itself got unscrewed? Can you feel the valve moving?

I had to take the valve off my old Fleetwood Jamboree Class C years ago. At the end of a three day weekend trip with wife and two kids. It was not a pretty thing. The experience scarred me. I still have a very difficult time accepting more than a little sh*t from anyone....
The valve handle is still firmly screwed on, but I don't feel any "action". Whatever is going on, everything drains into the shower, and doesn't want to leave there. What is directly under the shower drain? I'm thinking a long rod and a hammer will "fix" this...
Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I don't know...it's draining into the gray water tank and then backing up into the shower. doesn't mean the obstruction is directly below the shower drain. I am tending to suspect something stopped up the valve somehow. Or it's not opening. The problem isn't where it's backing up....it's at the other end.

I wouldn't be too quick to drop any major pans, either. For example, if the shower stall is full of water, isn't there a chance the leaks you are seeing underneath originated with an unsealed floor drain in the shower? Wouldn't ordinarily be a problem and is easy to fix with some plumbing goop or silicone.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Tennille , Georgia
And just so that you don't get the wrong idea, I wouldn't normally "fix" a problem like this, by poking a hole through. This is a 30+ year old trailer, that has been patched and rigged when I got it. Anything I attempt to repair, is going to cascade. I don't have the time or money to repair everything properly right now, and it is our shelter till the house gets done... another year maybe? Water is draining on the ground already, so why not?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Tennille , Georgia
Quote:
I don't know...it's draining into the gray water tank and then backing up into the shower. doesn't mean the obstruction is directly below the shower drain. I am tending to suspect something stopped up the valve somehow. Or it's not opening. The problem isn't where it's backing up....it's at the other end.

I wouldn't be too quick to drop any major pans, either. For example, if the shower stall is full of water, isn't there a chance the leaks you are seeing underneath originated with an unsealed floor drain in the shower? Wouldn't ordinarily be a problem and is easy to fix with some plumbing goop or silicone.
I haven't got a clue. Trailers aren't my thing. I can almost deal with normal plumbing problems, but I am way out of my league here. I can't even seem to figure out how to pop the drain out of the shower pan, let alone willing to climb underneath to try and find a valve. Almost no clearance, and then there is all sorts of stuff under there I don't want to wallow in.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quirk View Post
And just so that you don't get the wrong idea, I wouldn't normally "fix" a problem like this, by poking a hole through. This is a 30+ year old trailer, that has been patched and rigged when I got it. Anything I attempt to repair, is going to cascade. I don't have the time or money to repair everything properly right now, and it is our shelter till the house gets done... another year maybe? Water is draining on the ground already, so why not?
It's important to figure out how/why you're getting blackwater in the shower pan. The only place these 2 should be connected is between the "Y" in the sewer pipe and the fitting for the dump hose. Blackwater is a health hazard.

The only way I can imagine this happening (beyond some sort of hare-brained drain system reconfiguration by the PO) is if the gray and black valves are both open, and something is obstructing the sewer drain at or downstream of the Y. Of course, you describe the trailer as having "rigged" systems, so maybe the PO did something really dumb.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Tennille , Georgia
I know the PO, and he's done some stuff, but I doubt he did something stupid like that... in fact, I can pretty well guarantee he didn't. All I know for sure, is the shower is filling up, and the water is dark, and smells like... not gray water. It just happened over night. I'm not one to leave both valves open, except when I take the sewage hose off, I like to run a little gray through it to clean out the pipe before removing it.