Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
See-Level system installed

I finally decided to take a few pictures off my camera and remembered a few pictures of a project I did on the trailer this spring. I try to take pictures of any major work I do on the trailer for future reference.
Back in March I was able to fix two black tank problems. The initial problem that lead to the tank removal was a bad odor from the bathroom and a water leak when I would put water into the black tank via the flushing hose. While I had the tanks out I thought I might as well trouble shoot the non-working monitoring system. I ended up installing a See-Level monitoring system which seems to work well for the fresh, black and gray water tanks. The LP gas monitoring doesn't read very accurately. Numbers are all over the place. Overall the system is easy to install - all existing wiring is used.
I removed the tanks, cleaned them up, filled them with water and found no leaks. What I did find was a leaky threaded toilet flange. This seemed to cause the odor. There was no sealant on the threads and the liquids got into the sub-floor. I treated the wood with bleach, vinegar, a chemical to kill urine smell and then I painted the top and bottom of the subfloor with Kilz paint to seal in the smell. So far it is working killing the smell.
The second problem was fixed with a flexible fill hose for the black tank. The old one was split open.

Picture of the tanks just before re-installation.

Painted some rusty outriggers and replaced the insulation while I was there.

Picture showing the preparation of the gray tank sensor - clip the circuit board.

Fresh water tank sensor.

Black tank sensor installation.

Old tank monitor panel.

Cut out for the new tank monitor system

Picture of the new monitor installed. Battery voltage being displayed.

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Very Nice. Great Job.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
just curious...how are those tanks secured to the underside of the trailer in these more modern models? Surely, there must be more than that sheet-metal pan and a few screws around the outside.

All the pre-fab retrofit tanks available are wedge-shaped. wondering if anyone has every tried to buy tanks from a modern 'stream and retro-fit them to an older trailer.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Chuck,
It is just a heavy gauge sheet metal pan with self tapping bolts. There are a lot of bolts that must be removed and replaced. An impact wrench is helpful for this work.
WBCCI # 3072
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
interesting.
any idea of the dimensions of the tanks? Are they flat on the bottom?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have no idea on the dimensions.
The tanks and the sheet metal pans are both tapered so everything flows towards the drain side.
WBCCI # 3072
Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #7

1967 30' Sovereign
Auburn , Alabama
Hi there!

Where did you get your tanks?
TeamEstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Is it just me, or are others out there bothered by seeing those yellow twisty-tie connectors used on low voltage DC circuits?

Those twisty connectors were designed for high voltage AC circuits (for the most part) - why are they being used in low voltage DC circuits?

The current to/from the tank sensors are probably only a few mili-amps at best, and I don't think those yellow connectors are a good solution over the long haul - they can become loose, or lose contact, especially if moved around...

I'd like to see a good, tight, soldered & insulated connection - or - some kind of solid connecting gang-coupler designed for low voltage service if you want to be able to easily remove the panel from the harness, etc., - these connectors can be found at suppliers like Radio Shack, etc...

As an example, you will NEVER see those twisty type connectors in ANY automobile's low voltage systems, and Airstream should know better and NEVER use them in these applications as well!!!

I see there are low voltage 'twisty' connectors sold for automotive systems: http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...rage-Case.html But if look close at them, they are an entirely different type of connector, a two-step connection process that looks much more secure...
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I wondered the same thing about the yellow connectors but apparently Airstream uses these in most places to tie DC wires together. I also found them on the radio, furnace and refrigerator. Airstream did use a crimp style connector on the original tank sensors.

The tanks are factory - they were not replaced.
WBCCI # 3072
Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #10

1967 30' Sovereign
Auburn , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
I wondered the same thing about the yellow connectors but apparently Airstream uses these in most places to tie DC wires together. I also found them on the radio, furnace and refrigerator. Airstream did use a crimp style connector on the original tank sensors.

The tanks are factory - they were not replaced.
Thanks, Crispy. I'm in the planning stages for a full renovation of a '67 Land Yacht. No tanks, none.
TeamEstep is offline   Reply With Quote