Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2003, 02:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Safari 25' ss & CCD 25' - odor issues?

Ok, a rather indiscrete question...

The floorplans of the Safari 25 ss and the CCD 25 are almost identical. I'm wondering if the extemely close proximity of the toilet to the bed could create 'odor issues ' (nudge, nudge, do you know what I mean?).

I know the CCD 25 is brand new - but I'm wondering if any Safari 25 ss owners could speak to this concern.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Odor from bed/bath proximity

This is also the same rear floorplan as the 19' Bambi. In any RV, the proximity of everything is close, so if there is a specific "odor situation" in the bathroom there is a good probability that unless the bathroom vent is open and the fan running, the odor will migrate. We just make it a habit of running the fan when using the facilities and the potential odor situation has yet to occur. I will say that using the toilet with the bathroom door closed makes for some very cramped quarters. By loosing the toilet and rotating it slightly toward the shower, it is much better spacewise...why A/S does not do this is a puzzle. We have found that we tend to just pull the accordian door across the bed/bath area rather than trying to crowd behind the bathroom door.

The only downside to the bed/bath arrangement is that if the person on the outside wall side of the bed wants out, the other person has to at least slide their feet and legs over to the edge, but it does NOT require the person to actually climb over. We really like the lavatory being outside the actual bath area as one can be showering and the other using the lavatory without crowding each other. I am not surprised to see A/S using this layout as it really utilizes space very efficiently and was one of the selling points to us when we bought our Bambi.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ah David, you know you think that at times you're the only one that goes through the process until you read a post like that and know that others feel your pain.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: Safari 25' ss & CCD 25' - odor issues?

Quote:
Originally posted by darkStar
Ok, a rather indiscrete question...

The floorplans of the Safari 25 ss and the CCD 25 are almost identical. I'm wondering if the extemely close proximity of the toilet to the bed could create 'odor issues ' (nudge, nudge, do you know what I mean?).

I know the CCD 25 is brand new - but I'm wondering if any Safari 25 ss owners could speak to this concern.

Thanks!
Mine is not a CCD, but my bathroom door is right next to the galley sink. I have never had any detectable odor outside of the bathroom itself. I have only had an odor problem inside the bathroom once. On that occasion, the fan was running and TP had kept the flush valve from closing fully. Even then, no odor escaped the bathroom.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
David ---Have you already turned your toliet slightly towards the shower? I took a look at ours & it seemed that to do so, one has to remove it completely & reinstall the bolts.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:04 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One thing to be aware of, and I have to remind my wife of this, is that when you turn on the bathroom vent fan and the trailer is closed up (running A/C), flushing the toilet will cause the fan to suck the smells from the holding tank into the bathroom. Usually the odor is worse that what is in the bathroom at that point.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
We have the 25SS and only had an odor problem once... the kids told me that the bathroom stunk. We added chemical to the toilet and washed the whole bathroom/shower down with soapy water. The smell remained. It turned out to be musty damp towels!

I agree that the trailer is so small that if you have a smell problem you will have it everywhere. Don't worry about the proximity to the bed.

Also, the 25SS is GREAT for one or two people - bed, dinette and sofa all available with no setup/takedown effort. Just like home!

I also agree that the angled bathroom door makes for minimal knee room. I like the idea of turning the toilet a bit towards the shower. I also would like to replace the crappy Auqu-Magic toilet with a better one - but have not gotten around to that yet.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I was cruising along very happily until I got to the thread about the issue of using the bathroom when the trailer is in 'sealed AC mode'. Somehow I had imagined a fan in the tank's vent stack. Now I think I'm seeing that the fan just pushes air from the bathroom to the outside. Is that correct?

If so, it would seem that a fan in the tank's vent stack would be great from an odor perspective, but maybe there would be other issues. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Yes the fan that is in the crank open vent pulls air from the bathroom to the outside. Obviously on a closed trailer the easiest place to draw replacement air is the toilet once the inside valve is open, hence the nasty odors. If the tank vent had a fan, you would need to have another opening somewhere to allow the fan to draw replacement air from.

The other point would be if you had that source of replacement air, the air quality around your trailer would suffer, dependent upon wind and other conditions. I remember the other weekend I was filling the black water tank via the toilet in preparation for departure. With large quantities of water going into the toilet in a short frame of time, when I went outside to pull the valve, I could definately tell that the air in the tank was being rapidly expelled into the outdoor environment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-29-2003, 09:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

No-stinky testimonial

I use the blue liquid stuff regularly and have not encountered any odor from the toilet. We do reserve the on-board john for "numero uno" only and the campground facilities for the more odorous function . . . maybe that's a factor.

Interestingly, we had a rather sour gray water tank due to the inadvertant ingress of a raw egg (somebody dropped it in the sink). Didn't smell it in the trailer, but sure got a big whiff at the dump station. It lingered through 2 trips despite a very thorough flushing of the system. Fixed it by pouring just a little of the blue liquid stuff down the sink.

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:48 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Wink

I'm assuming the solution to the "fan / toilet flush /sealed AC mode" problem would be to turn the fan off while in flush mode, and back on after flushing. It is that simple, isn't it? Am I missing something?
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm wondering if the extemely close proximity of the toilet to the bed could create 'odor issues ' (nudge, nudge, do you know what I mean?).
On our second long weekend excursion with our brand new 25'CCD, we invited both our families to join us. The camping bths were disgusting so all 7 of us used the one in our AS.

We soon discovered that my 5 yr brother does not ...digest?...black beans too well!

Thanks to my mountain fresh "bth gell cone", the fan on and after we poured a few drops of "pink" (we use pink) liquid in the toilet, my little bros used the bth all day, many times! and you couldn't smell a thing!

We did tell him to flush often.

I guess a few precautions are in order - fan, bth odor absorbers, blk tank liquids etc. - but if you follow these simple steps you'll be just fine!

Black beans proof!
Old 09-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. All I use is the black tank treatment and there is NO foul smell at all. As has been said, the Bambi is very similar and we have now about 5-6 trips in it. No problems at all......

I am expecting the same or better from the new Safari "SS" I am signing off on as I type this! Hopefully, if all goes well, we will have a bit early Christmas present as that is what Airstream has told us might be the approx timeframe given the current worklogs.

Eric
Old 09-28-2003, 09:10 PM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by rfield54
I'm assuming the solution to the "fan / toilet flush /sealed AC mode" problem would be to turn the fan off while in flush mode, and back on after flushing. It is that simple, isn't it? Am I missing something?
Yep, that's what I do.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 09-29-2003, 07:08 AM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Slow down the fan

The fans in every unit I have owned or looked at run far too fast and make a horrible noise. Put a 10-ohm resistor in series and the fan will be much quieter but still move plenty of air to clear any "fog" in the bathroom. With the slower speed, I have no odor problem flushing briefly with the fan running.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:28 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John,

You crack me up man....always the inventor, always the beyond stock fearless captain of your coach.

I love that idea....I may try it.

I have to say John, never a dull moment with you. You know, you should work for Airstream, seriously.

Regards,

Eric