Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Edmond , Oklahoma
Rhinoflex Sewer Hose

We are purchasing a heavier sewer hose and like the Rhinoflex brand.

The AS is in storage and we haven't purchased the hose yet.

I am wondering two things:

1) will the hose store in the pvc storage tube mounted under the AS with the end caps on?

2) will the hose actually attach to the the AS or will we need to purchase and adapter? If so, what adapter will be needed?

Thanks,

Fran

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I just purchased a Rhino Extreme. Yes it will connect to the Airstream sewer outlet, no it will not store in the carrier beneath the trailer. It does fit nicely in the bumper though...
Bruce

Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a Rhino hose and was able to make it fit in the pvc tube by trimming back the ears on the fitting with a dremel tool. Lengthwise it is a tight fit. The hose could be shortened an inch or two to remedy this issue.
You will need the Valtera to Thetford adapter.
The Rhino hoses are nice.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Rhinoflex fits on the newer Airstream drain fittings. You should have no problem with your 2012, Fran.

We store it in a big plastic box and put it in the bed of the pickup. We bought an extra extension on Amazon and the original 2 hoses and the extension fit in the box along with odds and ends for the sewer including a Flush King, latex gloves and a backwash hose. We got the box at the Container Store. The Flush King came from Amazon.

Originally we bought a cheap sewer hose and it still is in the PVC storage under the trailer just in case we need another extension though we haven't. The Rhinoflex hoses plus the extension are (I think) 35' and that should reach any sewer.

The ends on the Rhinoflex are firmly attached to the hose and there are caps for each hose so they don't leak into the box. That is good. How long the ends stay attached, we don't know, but it has lasted 3 years without a problem. We bought it at Walmart. Usually we avoid Walmart because they sell a lot of junk products, but this one has worked.

We use a separate box (also in the truck bed) for 2 water hoses and parts that go with them—exterior water filter, attachment to fill city water tank, etc. It is, obviously, best to keep these apart. A 3rd box contains a thing to support the hoses so they drain properly—there are a variety of them available. See: Amazon.com: RV sewer hose supports

Everything you buy for your new trailer seems to lead to another purchase, and another, and another.

Gene
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sewer Solution

Before you buy do a search under "Sewer Solution" - Mine lasted six years and could have gone longer, but I preferred to replace it rather than get a few parts that were showing age. I saved the hose, so I now have 30' of hose. NO LEAKS!

Gloves are optional with the SS. I DO believe in ordinary hand washing.

Paula
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie2 View Post
We are purchasing a heavier sewer hose and like the Rhinoflex brand.

The AS is in storage and we haven't purchased the hose yet.

I am wondering two things:

1) will the hose store in the pvc storage tube mounted under the AS with the end caps on?

2) will the hose actually attach to the the AS or will we need to purchase and adapter? If so, what adapter will be needed?
Fran,

I have a Rhinoflex hose and don't recommend it.

The hose itself is no more durable than any other heavy vinyl hose. Mine leaked after someone stepped on it the second or third day I used it. Replacement Rhinoflex hoses are not readily available and are expensive, almost as much as the whole kit with the fittings. I ended up cutting mine at the point where it leaked and now have a much shorter hose which I use as an extension. ::shrug:: I keep it in the rear bumper drawer where it fits OK.

Another problem with Rhinoflex is that the hose is something of a nuisance to collapse to storage length. It tends not to stay collapsed and requires more fiddling than a conventional hose.

The hose will attach directly to newer Airstreams without an adapter.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Edmond , Oklahoma
Thank you to all of you for your quick responses.

I have noticed with our previous RV's that our hoses lasted much better when we kept them off the ground and gravel. We do have one of those support systems which works pretty well, as long as you have the hose secured to the stand when you open the valve!

So, if you guys aren't putting the sewer hose in the pvc carrier, what do you use it for...other than the suggested extra hose?

With our previous AS we used the bin method for the water and sewer equipment. In the MH all of it just went back into the big divided bay.

Thanks again!

Fran
Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Fran, I never have trusted the cover on the sewer hose to stay on because the cover is not that secure. It has never fallen off, but it could. If I did, I could store walking sticks, rugs, paintings (out of frame), breaker bars and other such things.

Gene
Old 03-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie2 View Post
So, if you guys aren't putting the sewer hose in the pvc carrier, what do you use it for...other than the suggested extra hose?
I have two hoses in the PVC carrier. The front one is a 10' vinyl hose with only a trailer-end connector on it, which I ordinarily use at dump stations. The back one is a 20' vinyl hose with connectors on both ends which I typically use with full hookups.

In the rear bumper drawer I have two sewer elbows, the rhinoflex hose, a greywater hose adapter, and some extra clamps and fittings. In the front toolbox area below and just behind the propane tanks I have a red rubber garden hose that I use when I have full hookups and am dumping greywater only. Also use it in those boondocking situations where it is lawful and appropriate to dump greywater on the ground.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
We bought one a couple of weeks ago (before I read this). It doesn't fit in the Airstream tube. Too long. Tabs on the fitting need to be trimmed. I'm trying to decide whether or not to replace the tube with longer one or find a different hose.

BC
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Paula is spot on about Sewer Solution. We love ours and would not go back a stinky slinky of any type. We still carry the old one, but very, very seldom use it.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
Paula is spot on about Sewer Solution. We love ours and would not go back a stinky slinky of any type. We still carry the old one, but very, very seldom use it.
We typically camp where full service exists. Invariably the sewer hookup from the trailer to the discharge is NOT at a downward slope. More often than not, I wind up manually empty the stinky slinky.

My question. Does the Sewer Solution require gravity to work properly?

TIA

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker

TIA
I knew the AS rode lower than my previous TTs, but I didn't realize how much lower until we took our 1st real trip and discovered that some sewer inlets were uphill (some significantly) from the trailer's outlet. I bought a Sewer Solution and it solved that issue for me. I've found that with adequate fresh water pressure, it will empty the tanks with as much as an 18" lift and the fresh water jet does a good job of breaking down the solids and giving the whole hose a clean flush out. The downside to the SS is that it does require fresh water to operate and takes longer to empty the tanks. For that reason I use the slinky whenever there is adequate downhill slope, but having the SS available when needed is a real plus in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
gravity no

Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
We typically camp where full service exists. Invariably the sewer hookup from the trailer to the discharge is NOT at a downward slope. More often than not, I wind up manually empty the stinky slinky.

TIA
One of the very nice things about the sewer solution is that it does not require gravity . Water pressure will actually push it uphill a bit. Worth investigating, it is what we use. But I do think it is prudent to hang on to a stinky slinky for the dump stations. Sewer solution is a bit slower and you could create a backlog of folks waiting on you...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote