Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Back to the original question…
I think there is a pretty big difference between the Rhinoflex and the Rhinoflex Extreme. We're fulltiming and bought a RhinoFlex Extreme a few weeks ago, after both the plastic clamp snapped and the hose completely cracked open on our Blueline in weather just below freezing. The extreme is supposed to live up to sub-zero temps, and the material the hose is made out of feels much different — stronger and more flexible —*than the others.

Our is a 2008 International:

1) It does NOT fit in our tube, with our without the fittings. It's too long. It's also kind of a pain to take the fittings on and off, so even if it fit without, we'd probably have kept it somewhere else. So the bumper is our new hose storage. It fits both the 15' base and the 5' extension plus all of the fittings no problem.

2) It attaches perfectly, no extra parts needed
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
On the other hand, the Japanese, I am told, are grossed out by the use of toilet paper and just wiping it around and that's why they have such fancy toilets than spray and dry you. Gene
Gene, Ever read "Shogun"? A good bit of history mixed into the fiction. I'd always heard that the Japanese invented toilet paper, and were horrified at how 17th century Europeans never bathed OR cleaned themselves after using the head.

Far worse? The expression "Getting the S***ty end of the stick" is one that came from the Roman army. Every group of ten soldiers would share a single stick with a vinegar soaked sponge on it for personal cleaning. Two out of the ten were slaves who took care of the mule, the cooking and the maintenance of the sponge... I wonder if they drew straws for "stick duty?"

NOW go sanitize your eyeballs.

Paula
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
I too, use the sewer solution, and it has worked flawlessly so far. Last trip I didn't bother with gloves, either. I use a y-valve with 2 black flush hoses. One goes to the ss and the other goes to the airstream tank flush fitting on the side. Cleaning with the ss valve sprayed back into the tank definitely helps, but even after the water flows completely clear I can flush through the airstream fitting and more waste comes out. I go back and forth until nothing but clear water flows out. I also added a Valtrec clear connector so I get a good view of the flow coming out of the dump valve. I then lift the ss hose allowing the clear water to drain out before curling it up in it's own bin and inside a trash bag. The 2 black flush hoses go in their own bin, drained , curled and self connected. The bins go in one side of my rear storage. The Sport has no bumper. I always do the thorough cleaning when I am about to leave for home. My midweek cleaning I usually just flush at the valve, since I will be using the tank a few more days.

This chore was one of my big dreads when I bought the AS. But with the sewer solution, it has turned out not so bad. I don't understand how anyone could feel comfortable using the slinky with all those crevices to hold waste. I can see how clean I'm getting the ss.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
We bought one a couple of weeks ago (before I read this). It doesn't fit in the Airstream tube. Too long. Tabs on the fitting need to be trimmed. I'm trying to decide whether or not to replace the tube with longer one or find a different hose.

BC
The ends to come off of the Rhino-flex. Look at the cap where it meets the hose and it says in small letters, lock with and arrow, and unlock with an opposing arrow. I thought the same thing that I'd throw it in the back, but now I store the hose under the trailer and the fittings I stow in back.
Cheers,
F.
AirSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks Paula, the next thing I am doing is making an omelette and I'll try to forget this thread. I should not have read this thread before breakfast.

So far as things sticky into the crevice of the Rhinoflex, repeated backwashing when dumping the black tank cleans them out too. Then flushing the grey tank further cleans the hose.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
large tube

Angled to be longer.
Wide enough to store all plumbing supplies.
Use the awning hook to get at supplies.
End by step has a cap.
I like the Rhinoflex with swivel ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing holding hose 007.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	157972  
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Coastal, that's clever. Is that ABS or some other black tubing? What diameter?

Gene
Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've moved from a Casita 17' where I stored my Rhinoflex in the 4" square bumper. Now I have a 2008 Classic 25 and was disappointed in finding the Rhinoflex wouldn't fit in the sewer storage tube. I'll try trimming the fittings as suggesed. Right now its in my rear bumper storage tray. I've had the Rhinoflex for several years now and haven't had any issues with it.

I'm going to check out the Sewer Solution.
With the AS valves on my Classic pointing straight out and do not extend beyond the body can you attach the SS so the discharge is at the bottom and the hose input is on side or parallel to the coach body?

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Blueline

Check this out

Blueline RV Sanitation ? RV Sewer Hoses, RV Sewer Fittings, Supports and Hose Connections

The Blueline sewer hose and push on connections are good quality and store in the tubes attached under the RV. A lot of optional connections and accessories available.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've moved from a Casita 17' where I stored my Rhinoflex in the 4" square bumper. Now I have a 2008 Classic 25 and was disappointed in finding the Rhinoflex wouldn't fit in the sewer storage tube. I'll try trimming the fittings as suggesed. Right now its in my rear bumper storage tray. I've had the Rhinoflex for several years now and haven't had any issues with it.
I have to put mine in the rear bumper tray, which works out OK because I keep all the other sewer supplies in there as noted upthread.

With all the hoses and adapters I use up the whole drawer, and it works out pretty well because the bumper drawer doesn't lock and, also, is prone to gathering road dust, so it isn't good for much else.

The only problem is that there are some sites where it isn't possible to open the bumper drawer while parked because of sloping ground.

Quote:
I have had one for several years and only use it for dumping tanks at home, where I have city water and sewer but need to run the dump hose slightly uphill to reach a sewer connection. They're a hassle for routine use.

Quote:
With the AS valves on my Classic pointing straight out and do not extend beyond the body can you attach the SS so the discharge is at the bottom and the hose input is on side or parallel to the coach body?
No. I use a straight extension connector, which works. A 45 degree extension connector would also work, perhaps better.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
What you need for sewer varies, but we have 3 pieces of hose of differing lengths, adapters for the campground drain, gloves, hose for backflushing and Flush King. We store all of this in a big plastic container and don't use the PVC storage under the trailer—the cap is hard to get on and off at times and the hose doesn't fit anyway. It is easier to have it all in one place. Another container carries the fresh water hoses, filter, pressure reducing fitting and attachment for filling fresh water tank.

These plastic containers take a lot of abuse and have to be replaced after several years. A 3rd one—formerly bought with cat food in it—holds the device that holds the hose off the ground. Never can think of the name of that device, but it fits perfectly in the cat food container. That lasts a year or two. It is also good for sitting on while doing sewer hookups and hitching and unhitching. I've never seen these cat food containers anywhere but Sam's Club—they're about 15" high and are good for many things a medium small bucket can do, but also have a cover. It is not cost effective to get a cat and join Sam's Club (we use someone else to get in) just to get these containers.

All these start cracking after a while. Duct tape will extend their life for months.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I believe that you can. Here is a photo of Lucy's SS set-up. I use a 6" straight clear sewer connection to make it more reachable. It also gives me an area to see what's going on during dumping. We have found that the Sewer Solution works much better that a "slinky".

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3670.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	184116  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
The Sewer Solution may be our answer to dumping at home. We are looking into expanding our driveway so we can move out of the storage yard. We have a sewer clean out fitting in the back yard ~30-45 yards away from the driveway and very slightly up hill. Is there a maximum distance from the dump valve to the clean out fitting in the yard where the SS will no longer work that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your comments,
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm not sure of the maximum run that the Sewer Solution is capable of, but I can tell you what works for us. At SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville we use the Sewer Solution with a combination of 40' of Sewer Solution hose and 40' of PVC. We are making an 80' run to the city sewer clean-out. There is about a 2' upgrade on the drain route. We have been using this set-up for over five years and it works great. As we use this dump often, we leave the PVC and one section of the SS hose (it makes a 90 degree turn) in place all the time. We have a similar set-up at home, but it is only a 50' run.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Sounds like it should work for us. Thanks for the feedback.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Thanks

Kelvin
I use a 90° clear adapter between the outlet fitting and the SS head. I think that accomplishes what you are asking about.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
I use a 90° clear adapter between the outlet fitting and the SS head. I think that accomplishes what you are asking about.
We, too, use the 90 degree clear adapter. Perfect solution-"Sewer Solution". Would never go any other way for this task. An extra hose has surely come in handy as well.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I'm not sure of the maximum run that the Sewer Solution is capable of, but I can tell you what works for us. At SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville we use the Sewer Solution with a combination of 40' of Sewer Solution hose and 40' of PVC. We are making an 80' run to the city sewer clean-out. There is about a 2' upgrade on the drain route. We have been using this set-up for over five years and it works great. As we use this dump often, we leave the PVC and one section of the SS hose (it makes a 90 degree turn) in place all the time. We have a similar set-up at home, but it is only a 50' run.

Brian
Neil (FreshAir) uses his SS at home, says he pumps 40' up hill when needed. I have not dumped at home ye, would probably end up with 40' if needed.

Some folks thought the SS a hassle to use, but when I had to flush a corrugated hose before storage and it still was not clean, and compared it to the SS, I end up much cleaner, don't have to "save up" grey water to flush, and it is all pretty easy. I had to add a short clear extension to my attach point so I could access the hose fitting, and it turns out the clear portion helps me make sure my tank is clean. I use the tank flush fitting and the SS backflow until its looks clean enough, then add a couple gallons & tank stuff for the drive home.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
OK, I know some people are going to gross out, but why is it so important to get the sewer hose so clean? The tank can build up dried solids and block the outlet and drain seal, so it should be flushed pretty well, but the hose?

It is corrugated and never will get completely clean, but since it bends, stuff will break off and flush out the next time it is used. The SS hose will never be antiseptic either unless you chlorinate it.

I think it is safe to say no one uses sewer hoses for anything else, and hopefully uses gloves when handling this stuff, so why worry about it?

If you really want to worry, wear a moon suit too. It is inevitable that some stuff will get on your clothes as you handle these items—your gloved hand brushes against your pants, the hose hits your shoe or pants, you scratch your nose with your gloved hand without thinking—all sorts of opportunities. Not to mention all the spills around the dump drains that leave strangers' bacteria to be picked up by your shoes and items you put on the ground (then return to truck, later you move those containers, and sit on the tailgate or put your bare hand on it).

It sure is hard to live the antiseptic life. But you can do things reasonably (which, I admit is different for everyone) without worrying about every possible contamination. I think you have more to worry about from water borne diseases brought to your city water inlet at some campgrounds than you have from the sewer system.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I was 10 years old when we moved into the first house with indoor plumbing. The out house was a long way from the home for obvious reasons. There was no wash basin at the out house.
So dealing with the sewer hose is not that big of a deal to me.
At least we don't have to dig a new pit and move the out house when the old pit got full.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote