Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
We bought one a couple of weeks ago (before I read this). It doesn't fit in the Airstream tube. Too long. Tabs on the fitting need to be trimmed. I'm trying to decide whether or not to replace the tube with longer one or find a different hose.

BC
We keep all the sewer hoses (including the dedicated backflush garden hose) in a plastic box in the back of the pickup. Since there are times when the sewer is far away, extra hoses (25-30' worth) are useful. Having all these things (also rubber or latex gloves, Flush King, extra end pieces, etc.) in one place makes it easy to find them and easy to move them to the side of the trailer. Some older campgrounds have the sewer connection at the end of the padódecades ago Airstreams and other RV's often had their outlets at the rear of the trailer, so it made sense then, but not so much now. Our old sewer hose with detachable ends remains in the carrier under the trailer in case I ever need it.

A fair number of campgrounds have elevated sewer connections and they are a pain. There's one in Santa Fe we've never gone back to because of that and they've missed out on a lot of money because we travel to Santa Fe often. For motorhomes with high sewer outlets, it doesn't matter. I don't like having to ease the fluids along the hose when it is time to disconnect either.

Gene

Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I bought a Rhino hose and do not like it. After one short caravan I cleaned it up, put it back in the box and dumped it into the storage area along with the other useless stuff I have. I went back to a heavy duty conventional hose that fits in the storage tube under the trailer and a sewer fitting that does not swivel or come apart or leak. I had no faith that the head was not going to uncouple on the Rhino during mid dump.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Decades

Some older campgrounds have the sewer connection at the end of the padódecades ago Airstreams and other RV's often had their outlets at the rear of the trailer, so it made sense then, but not so much now.

Dang, I have one of those trailers from decades ago. So now I need extra hose just because all you new fangled trailers changed everything. :-)

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sewer Solution Update - TMI!

Some people will tell you that you have to use a LOT of water to make a SS work. It's rare that you need much at all.

I fulltime and empty my black tank once a week or 10 days in cool weather. Sniff test! IF you're using RV paper or paper that dissolves easily and you have enough fiber in your diet that #2 dissolves you can generally drain the black tank with little or no exterior water - even if the sewer is almost level with the black gate.

Gravity will "roller coaster" black water out of the tank. Let the hose lie on the ground and then go back up hill to the sewer, then open the gate. The force of the water in the tank will "roller coaster" down the big drop around the loop and back up hill. Only add water when there's not enough left in the tank to keep the flow going or if something jams the drain hose (you can SEE the obstruction where the SS meets the drain hose.) Flush water through the toilet or tank rinsers when the waste supply is low, use the mascerator for clogs. The mascerator can also be aimed backwards into the tank to very effectively stir up the contents on the bottom.

For major uphill/long haul dumping - hook the SS hose into 1 inch PVC PIPE and pump water into your black tank through the SS like mad!

POTABLE WATER & CLEANING YOUR TANK

There are some campgrounds that go all heebee jeebie about cleaning the black tank with potable water. EVEN when you use a separate hose with a backflow protector (In my case TWO backflow protectors - one at each end of the hose). I've been told (off) by supposed authorities that it is "illegal" to hook a waste cleanup hose to a potable water faucet. What I know about home plumbing codes says this could be true.

Your home toilet has potable water hooked to a TANK or in tankless models to a pressurized column of water. It has to drain into the bowl where gravity makes it impossible to have any reverse flow... Though if the toilet backs up and overflows? Could it contaminate the tank? Maybe. But could it contaminate the supply line? Not likely. Knowing where the water supply line goes inside the tank, it's extremely unlikely contamination could get there. It would take Hurricane Katrina & six feet of water in the bathroom for EVERYTHING to be cross-contaminated! But I digress.

I wouldn't have the heebie jeebies about using the WHITE hose on the tank flushers - the inlet is 2 feet above the black tank. But I do use a separate cleanup hose because I wouldn't be caught dead using the white one on the mascerator!

There are two ways of avoiding the cleaning hose hooked to the potable water police:
  1. pre-dawn tank cleaning - what they don't know...
  2. (if the possibility of cross contamination actually makes you queasy this is the way to go.) Get an orange "homer bucket", drywall bucket, or kitty litter bucket full of whatever water you want to use including their precious potable water, and a cheapo water pump. Drop the supply hose in the bucket, and hook the outflow to your cleanup hose, which connects to the mascerator or tank cleaners and proceed. 3-5 gallons of water in one bucketful will do a pretty decent job of getting all "obstructive" materials mascerated as well as encouraging some of the bottom layer to move on out.
FULL TIMING VS. SEASONAL - BEST PRACTICES

I fulltime, and I suppose I have an odd opinion or two about "sanitizing" the black tank.* It's going to get used again within hours so I simply don't see the logic of running gallons and gallons water through the tank until it flows out crystal clear. The biological reaction that breaks down solids relies on bacteria so what's wrong with a pint or two of "starter" left in the tank? I wouldn't consider using bleach, etc. in my black tank.

Those of you who put the RV away for weeks at a time, or for the winter - By ALL means hose and sanitize the hell out of it or pay the price when you open the door!

Happy Trails! Paula

* I get a "thin the herd" moment over some people's illogical ideas about sanitizing. They have battery pump soap bottles to move liquid SOAP from a bottle to their hands, so they don't transfer germs from the soap bottle onto their hands... WHICH THEY THEN WASH! They don't need to touch the bottle again do they?

* I also don't understand people who wipe their own behinds sans rubber gloves, and clean up green diapers also without gloves, but faint dead away if they see me bare handing a Sewer Solution. I presume we ALL wash our hands after those activities!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
* I also don't understand people who wipe their own behinds sans rubber gloves, and clean up green diapers also without gloves, but faint dead away if they see me bare handing a Sewer Solution. I presume we ALL wash our hands after those activities!
Paula, I have considered that too. The RV sewer thing is a lot grosser in total bacteria than the other examples, or, at least, that's what I tell myself. On the other hand, the Japanese, I am told, are grossed out by the use of toilet paper and just wiping it around and that's why they have such fancy toilets than spray and dry you. After writing this I have to go sanitize my laptop and my eyeballs.

Gene
Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
@Foiled Again: I did not want to quote your long comment above and re-use all those electrons--especially since I was not planning to wash my hands afterward.

However, I agree with your viewpoint. I still wear gloves because it makes me feel better about the handling, and then wash afterward. I use the SS because we are relative newbies and not very good, yet, at water conservation. So, with full hookups, I don't have to worry about grey tank fill-up, and have not had any pushback yet about hooking up to flush. I use a green hose, even with backflow preventers, to keep my attention focused properly. My moho has a hose bib next to the black tank flush so that little loop doesn't go to the campsite water (directly).

As for little uphills, I have not had a problem using the SS, and the smooth hose rinses nice and clean. I have pvc pipe and adapters so I can dump at home if needed (about 40 feet) but have not needed it yet.

Several trailers at our recent Casini rally use the SS and everyone that has tried it likes it. It may be an issue boondocking but I bet it would not use much more water than if you tried to rinse a slinky.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Back to the original question…
I think there is a pretty big difference between the Rhinoflex and the Rhinoflex Extreme. We're fulltiming and bought a RhinoFlex Extreme a few weeks ago, after both the plastic clamp snapped and the hose completely cracked open on our Blueline in weather just below freezing. The extreme is supposed to live up to sub-zero temps, and the material the hose is made out of feels much different — stronger and more flexible —*than the others.

Our is a 2008 International:

1) It does NOT fit in our tube, with our without the fittings. It's too long. It's also kind of a pain to take the fittings on and off, so even if it fit without, we'd probably have kept it somewhere else. So the bumper is our new hose storage. It fits both the 15' base and the 5' extension plus all of the fittings no problem.

2) It attaches perfectly, no extra parts needed
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
On the other hand, the Japanese, I am told, are grossed out by the use of toilet paper and just wiping it around and that's why they have such fancy toilets than spray and dry you. Gene
Gene, Ever read "Shogun"? A good bit of history mixed into the fiction. I'd always heard that the Japanese invented toilet paper, and were horrified at how 17th century Europeans never bathed OR cleaned themselves after using the head.

Far worse? The expression "Getting the S***ty end of the stick" is one that came from the Roman army. Every group of ten soldiers would share a single stick with a vinegar soaked sponge on it for personal cleaning. Two out of the ten were slaves who took care of the mule, the cooking and the maintenance of the sponge... I wonder if they drew straws for "stick duty?"

NOW go sanitize your eyeballs.

Paula
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
I too, use the sewer solution, and it has worked flawlessly so far. Last trip I didn't bother with gloves, either. I use a y-valve with 2 black flush hoses. One goes to the ss and the other goes to the airstream tank flush fitting on the side. Cleaning with the ss valve sprayed back into the tank definitely helps, but even after the water flows completely clear I can flush through the airstream fitting and more waste comes out. I go back and forth until nothing but clear water flows out. I also added a Valtrec clear connector so I get a good view of the flow coming out of the dump valve. I then lift the ss hose allowing the clear water to drain out before curling it up in it's own bin and inside a trash bag. The 2 black flush hoses go in their own bin, drained , curled and self connected. The bins go in one side of my rear storage. The Sport has no bumper. I always do the thorough cleaning when I am about to leave for home. My midweek cleaning I usually just flush at the valve, since I will be using the tank a few more days.

This chore was one of my big dreads when I bought the AS. But with the sewer solution, it has turned out not so bad. I don't understand how anyone could feel comfortable using the slinky with all those crevices to hold waste. I can see how clean I'm getting the ss.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
(West) Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
We bought one a couple of weeks ago (before I read this). It doesn't fit in the Airstream tube. Too long. Tabs on the fitting need to be trimmed. I'm trying to decide whether or not to replace the tube with longer one or find a different hose.

BC
The ends to come off of the Rhino-flex. Look at the cap where it meets the hose and it says in small letters, lock with and arrow, and unlock with an opposing arrow. I thought the same thing that I'd throw it in the back, but now I store the hose under the trailer and the fittings I stow in back.
Cheers,
F.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Paula, the next thing I am doing is making an omelette and I'll try to forget this thread. I should not have read this thread before breakfast.

So far as things sticky into the crevice of the Rhinoflex, repeated backwashing when dumping the black tank cleans them out too. Then flushing the grey tank further cleans the hose.

Gene
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Northern California , and Oregon
large tube

Angled to be longer.
Wide enough to store all plumbing supplies.
Use the awning hook to get at supplies.
End by step has a cap.
I like the Rhinoflex with swivel ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing holding hose 007.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	157972  
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Coastal, that's clever. Is that ABS or some other black tubing? What diameter?

Gene
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I've moved from a Casita 17' where I stored my Rhinoflex in the 4" square bumper. Now I have a 2008 Classic 25 and was disappointed in finding the Rhinoflex wouldn't fit in the sewer storage tube. I'll try trimming the fittings as suggesed. Right now its in my rear bumper storage tray. I've had the Rhinoflex for several years now and haven't had any issues with it.

I'm going to check out the Sewer Solution.
With the AS valves on my Classic pointing straight out and do not extend beyond the body can you attach the SS so the discharge is at the bottom and the hose input is on side or parallel to the coach body?

Thanks

Kelvin