Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Ingleside , Texas
Repurpose black tank to grey tank

Does it sound crazy to consider repurposing the existing black tank (we are replacing the existing toilet with a composting toilet) to use as a grey water holding tank when unable to discharge on site? Any thoughts or experience with this idea?
The Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I had a 64 Avion that the PO did that conversion. We used a portopotty. Worked okay but separate tanks would be better if you can install a gray tank.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If you are replacing the existing toilet with a composting one, it would seem to me to make perfect sense to connect your existing grey tank to your (cleaned) existing black tank and expand your grey tank capacity.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Ingleside , Texas
I should have mentioned our A/S is a 1964 Overlander and does not have an existing grey water tank. We thought about installing a new grey tank in the place of the black tank which we will not need, but then had an "aha" moment, "why not leave the black tank in place and use it for grey water?"
The Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
I have a 73 Overlander and am doing the same thing just rerouting the drains all to the "new Gray Tank", (old black tank). Don't see why what you are proposing wont work.

AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The question is, is your black tank above the floor, or underneath it? If your black tank is not lower than your shower drain, then the water from your shower will not drain to it, and your sinks will drain to your shower. If the black tank is under the floor, then there is no reason your plan of using it for a grey tank won't work. The only issue is that your black tank probably doesn't have a very large capacity, so you still won't have much grey tank capacity.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
Life long Airstreamer

1966 24' Tradewind
Lewiston , Idaho
I am doing something similar since my trailer didn't come with a grey water tank. I am in the process of replacing my black water tank which is cracked and using the new one for my grey tank which mounts under the floor. I also have a new black water tank that will mount above the floor and be fed by a macerating marine toilet. Because the toilet grinds and pumps the waste its output line is 1 1/2" and the drain from the tank is also 1 1/2". I haven't heard of anyone doing this before in an RV so I may be breaking new ground. If anyone has done this I would like to hear from you.

Also since I am replacing all of the P-traps and plumbing, are compression fittings OK to use or should all fittings be glued, and if so how can I make the grey tank removable if I would need to?
korgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
I Plan on using the existing plumbing on mine since I am using a composting toilet in my situation. as far as glueing or not, I cut the existing plumbing so that I could be put back like it was. except for the last connection to the old black tank.

AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote