Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Lake Orion , Michigan
Replacing waste tank

I have a 65 Sovereign and had to do the back floor. The old tank was no good and I have to replace it. It had a large thick piece of Styrofoam under the tank, if I dont put that back can I get a deeper tank? Also this year does not have a grey tank, is it still ok to not put one in and just dump grey water into the black tank. I just dont even know whee to start, the toilet has to sit right on the tank correct?
Plumbing is not my thing so any help would be greatly appreciated and picture would be even better. Thanks
mmollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are places that make custom tanks. I assume your old one is polyethylene?. Tanks can be made to your specs. Some people have had metal tanks fabricated for replacement. Is your tank above or below the floor? If you don't have a grey tank I assume that it drains out of the same discharge that the black tank does, but not into the black tank, unless someone made some plumbing changes. My 71 does not have a grey tank and that is fine by me. In most areas I discreetly drain my grey water on the ground. I also have a portable "blue boy" for national parks and other areas where it is illegal and not PC to drain grey water on the ground. The blue boy also comes in handy for black water trip to the dump station when you don't want to hook up your trailer.

As we speak I am replacing my tank on my 71. I got mine through Vintage Trailer Supply, but Inland RV also has them.

I also replaced my 45 year old gate valve. VTS had a new Thetford, but a lot of people are switching over to Valtera. In my Thetford setup the top and bottom flange screws in to the tank. Valtera is a slide in (at least the bottom one). So you need to make a decision which type you will be using. The Thetford screw in is no longer available and Valtera is now more common for sewage applications.You can reuse your old fittings so hold on to them.
I am using the Thetford as my old one lasted for at least several decades.