Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Replacing the black tank

Hi everybody,

It's been almost a year since we last camped in our Argosy. That was the day when we noticed a drip-drip-drip from the black tank. Closer examination revealed that the tank had several cracks in it near the outlet. Attempting to remove the tank for a possible repair caused it to crumble into irreconcilable pieces!

I ordered a new tank from Inland RV. It took several months, but it finally came. However, the fittings were all wrong (except for one, depending on which way you turned it) and the length was too long to fit into the space under the shroud. Andy told me to send it back and I did. He sent it back to the manufactorer who cut it to fit the opening that I had. It now fit, but the fittings were still wrong. However, this was just plumbing and I could work around that. I had to cut a new toilet opening and do unusual routing for the vent pipe, but the black tank is now in place. I took this time to replace the valve (of course) and hooked everything together.

All was done, I thought. I also thought we had anticipated this well. We had reservations in about 10 days at Fort Wilderness at Walt Disney World.

I hooked up the water and instantly there was a leak. It was not really a leak, but the pressure valve was stuck open. Probably from last winter when I blew out the lines. It would not unstick. Time was ticking away, so I removed the assembly and replaced it with pvc until a proper repair could be done. I have a hose bib regulator and will rely on that, a deft hand and a prayer until I can attach a proper regulator.

After removing the regulator I noticed one more leak at the HW heater. I replaced the pex and fittings and all seems well so far.

Next weekend, Pig meets the Rat. Two falls, 3 minute time limit. Ha Ha. Remember the old wrestlin' shows where they used to say that. If anyone has any Ft. Wilderness or WDW tips, I'd love to hear them.

Here's a pic showing the new black tank. Had to rotate it 180 degrees to get the vent pipe on the right side and then had to cut a new toilet hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black_tank_2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	8966  
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote