Old 05-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
1971 18' Caravel
Camden , South Carolina
replacement black water tank

Hello out there, does anyone have the quick scoop on replacing the black water tank in a 71 Caravel Land Yacht...from the top or the bottom...I have not opened up or removed anything yet. It leaks somewhere as it drips from under the trailer without me opening the flush valve. It does not seem to be the valve area where you dump that it is leaking from?
Thanks for any assistance.

Landyachtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Jensen Beach , Florida
black tan replacement

Hey there
I have got a 1978 Airstream Argosy, 22 ft. Soon after buying, I noticed a slightly bad smell in the rear of the coach. At the RV dealer it was found to be a crack in the black water tank. It sounds as if u have the same problem. I found that I had three choices. 1) replace tank with a new one. Easier said then done. Could not find a new black water tank for a 1978 Argosy Airstream Minuet. 2) Fabricate a new one out of aluminum. Expensive. $3-500. dollars for the tank itself, not including labor. 3) Fiberglass the crack. This proved to be the answer. 4 years since, I am still with a functioning black water tank. When the repair was done, they recommended that I not travel with a partial or full black water tank. This I have done. Good luck with your problem!

pdurkin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
1971 18' Caravel
Camden , South Carolina
Thanks, I am sure I have some interesting times ahead of me!
Landyachtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
If you are looking for a replacement I am ordering mine from inland rv for my 1966 caravel a previous owner had repaired the toilet and for some reason took out the plywood support and that turned out to be a crushing blow to our black tank. Not hard to replace though just take your time and it will be good.
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote