Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Sumiton , Alabama
Replacement black tank and new gray tank

I've in the phase of construction on my 1973 land yacht project. I have a 1973 mid bath land yacht. Yesterday i remove the broken black tank and discover i have no gray tank. My plans are to put both and new black tank and a new gray tank under the flooring to give room inside the airstream. I have a couple of question.
1: Dump value; do they make a dump value that works on gray and the black or will i need separate values.
2: Best place to purchase new tanks with a reduce cost?
3. Can the toilet be located away from the black tank and router just like a house septic system?
mingle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I guess you meant valves not values

I am only aware of RVs having two separate valves, one for grey, one for black. It's a good system as you can use the grey to flush the residual black.

Maybe there are one valve systems that I don't know about. But in my opinion, it would be not as good.

About having the toilet away from the black tank. Same answer. It would take a very good plumber to pull it off, as far as pitch, and pipe routing. But then, the black tank would be next to impossible to clean, monitor, and you could not get a sprayer in to flush off build up. If something you don't want got in there or if there was a problem….you would have major problems addressing the issue.

This might come under the category of reinventing the wheel. There are reasons why a wheel is round. Round wheels are good ha ha

Sorry, don't know where to get a tank. They can be found though, because the restoration shop that I went to, got one for me. Sadly for me, not them,they retired
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

About finding a tank

Try Vintage Trailer Supply 800 644 4620 ( they sell tanks, just not sure that they will have exactly what you want or need)

Or Inland RV
391 Elizabeth Ln, Corona, CA 92880
(951) 734-8130
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My answers below in Blue:

1: Dump value; do they make a dump value that works on gray and the black or will i need separate values.

A "combination" dump valve is pretty much the standard. It will have two gate-valves so that you can dump the black water first, and follow up with the grey water to help rinse the system.

2: Best place to purchase new tanks with a reduce cost?

For the black tank, it all depends on whether you are going with a "new" configuration, or whether you want it to fit exaclty in the place where the old one sat. If the latter, then the tank was probably made by INCA Plastics, which is still in business, and still has the molds for many of those vintage tanks. Their prices may not be the "best," but they will the be best for what you are looking for. For the grey water tanks, it depends on your design. Vintage Trailer Supply sells some tanks that are designed to fit inside the frame rails so that you don't see anything hanging down below the bellypan. For their volume, they are relatively expensive, compared to "off the shelf" tanks that will definitely hang below your frame. Do a google search from outside the forums for terms like "airforums grey tank" and you should get a bunch of threads talking about layout of grey tanks and suppliers.

3. Can the toilet be located away from the black tank and router just like a house septic system?

The "standard" setup is to have the toilet located immediately above the tank, and the dump valve directly off of that tank. There is just too much opportunity have clogs if you are trying to move black water around in low angle pipes. If you are dead set on flowing black water around, you might look into a marine style macerating toilet. Again, a google search from outside the forums should get you some threads: "airforums macerating toilet".

One other recommendation I would have is if you are relatively computer savvy, and have the patience to learn, download a free copy of SketchUp 3D modeling software. Using this, you can lay out your entire plumbing system in 3D. I have been using it to design my cabinetry, and have found it quite useful in revealing what goes where and what will clash with what. Plus, if you end up ordering tanks with custom spun on fittings (ie., from Vintage TRailer Supply), you will need to know exactly where those fittings need to be (ie., where are the inputs, the outlets, and the vents located).

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote