Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Question Removing Black Water Tank in 1971 Globetrotter

I recently purchased a 1971 Globetrotter and have found that the previous owner did not properly winterize the pipes. I have repaired one leak, but I have another that I need some help with...

When I turn on the water pump, there is a strong leak that is coming from under the black water tank. I have disassembled the bathroom to the point where I should be able to lift the black water tank out, but something is holding it down. Can anyone please fill me in on what this could be, and let me know what steps normally have to be taken to remove the black water tank? Will I have to completely disassemble the bathroom? Thanks in advance!

Adam Custis
ACUS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Adam,

The black tank on our 71 Sovereign had to be dropped from the bottom, but then again, it is a Sovereign, not a Globetrotter, so your setup might be different. I do know that, once the belly pan on ours was dropped, there was a galvanized pan (or what was left of it) with insulation holding the black tank in place. That galvanized pan was held in place by two L-shaped brackets, which ran perpendicular to the frame. What had happened with ours was that water had gotten down into that galvanized pan, which eventually rusted out, leaving the black tank unsupported. The black tank then cracked in two spots. Hope that helps.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Thanks...

Frederic,

Thanks for the information. I will check this out tonight...

Adam
Old 06-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
dump valve?

hi- I'm assuming you have disconnected the big pipe exiting the black tank? that would certainly hold it in there if you hadn't. Otherwise, they pretty much just sit there, on some foam, in the galv. pan, on the l-brackets as described. There are also some sensor wires which you unplug, at least on mine there were. BUT- a leak coming from turning on the water pump should have nothing to do with the black tank, as they are 2 different systems. More likely a burst supply line, or even just a drain valve left open- if you're lucky. Good luck- tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Black pipe

Tim, Thanks for the info. I did disconnect the black pipe and the sensors. The L brackets must be the key to getting the tank out. When I tracked down the leak, I squeezed mystelf in to the closet with the water tank and had my wife turn on the pump. The water was definitely coming from under the tank. I find this odd, but the only way I can figure it out is to remove the tank - at least I hope so...