Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Curtis , Michigan
remote location waste disposal

I've had my 1970 31' A/S for a few years but it's only sat in the yard since purchase. We have recently bought some property on a lake with no sewer or well (yet) and no power. We are going to move the A/S up there but the question I have is this - until we get a generator and well and sewer how do I dispose of the waste? I have been doing some research and found a Thetford Smart Tote which sounds like I can pump the waste into the tank and take to a dump station for disposal. Is this the best way or does someone out there have any other ideas for me? I am new to the whole concept and need direction. Appreciate all responses. Also - there is an old aqua magic Model SH existing toilet in there I want to replace - any sugggestions?
nmloehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Anne-Marie and I spent 2½ weeks in April at a hospital RV parking site, that was equipped with water and power but no sewer hook-up. We had a local sanitation service drop by the RV lot and drain our tanks for us. Another option that you may have is to use the Smart Tote for the black water, and dig a temporary sump hole for the gray water.

Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Don't know where the lake property is or how large, or codes, etc. - but Wally would dig a "gopher hole" for the black water (holding the contents till nearly full and then dumping periodically) and water some trees and shrubs with the gray...

We occasionally dump our black water into a "gopher hole" we dug and covered with a piece of plywood with a hole cut into it. When the whole fam comes to visit, we give them the house, and we retreat to the Minuet for the evening. After they leave - we dump - no problems with odors - it's on the wooded part of our 3/4 acre residential lot.
The trees and english ivy seem to appreciate it...

George
Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Since it’s your property I don’t see any harm in using a "gopher hole" to contain the gray water on an occasional basis. An owner’s manual from the period has a drawing with the recommended dimensions.
The disposal of the black tank waste, being close to a lake, would be better off being dumped in a toter and emptied at the dump station.
Just make sure you don't get one too big to handle easily.

Tom.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan030, June 13, 2009.pdf (78.6 KB, 82 views)

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote