Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 24
Panama City Beach , Florida
Redoing all tanks on Argosy

Hey!
My sister and I are renovating our first Airstream, an Argosy '76 24 rear door. We've finished the process of stripping the horrible paint job the PO did, and it's getting a fresh coat of paint this week. So now I'm focusing on the inside.

The first task is to rework the plumbing, so that we can then repair the subfloor. I decided that while I'm already doing so much, I might as well rearrange tanks to make it work best for us. I have an above average understanding of plumbing, but feel free to explain it in the most basic way possible. I know some things can be different in Airstreams.

I haven't removed the bathroom yet, but I can see the basic set up, I hope. We have an above-floor black tank under a platform toilet/sink combo. Then I think there is a small grey tank to the right that is under the floor. The capacity isn't what we'd like for the grey, so I've ordered an additional 22gal tank to install near the axle.

A few questions:
1. Can I use PVC for drain lines, or is ABS the only way to go? If so, can you point me to the basics of ABS? I've never used that before.

2. The plan is to remove the old toilet and sink (both rusted beyond repair), pull out the small grey tank, and drop the black tank in it's place. I'll reinforce the subfloor under the toilet if needed, and install the toilet directly over the black tank. The small grey tank will be located under/next to the kitchen sink, and we won't put a bathroom sink back in (rear bath directly adjacent to kitchen. Seems like overkill and extra maintenance). The new larger grey tank will be installed near the axle, with shower and/or sink running to it (haven't gotten that fully figured out). My plan was to run at least one of the grey tanks to the black as a way of fully flushing it.

Anybody done anything similar? Or am I missing something painfully obvious that would make my life way easier?

Thanks!
kwinton80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That trailer uses an Airstream frame, with a foot cut off the rear. See if you can find a fresh water tank for a Tradewind of similar vintage, and install it in the location the fresh tank would go in a Tradewind. Then, route the drain from the kitchen sink to it. Drill a 1 1/2" hole in the rearward edge of the tank, and spin-weld a 1 1/2" PT female fitting to it, and connect PVC pipe from it to the leading edge of the existing grey tank, where you would drill and spin-weld another 1 1/2" PT female fitting, and connect the two. If I remember my tank sizes, that will give you roughly 50 gallons of grey capacity.
Your Argosy has its fresh tank located above the floor, in the front of the trailer, if you haven't found it yet.