Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Rebuild or replace old Thetford dump valve?

Sooner or later I am going to have to deal with the original dump valve on my '63 Trotter. I have read every post I can find on the subject and have not come upon a photo of one showing the actual valve disassembled.
I am trying to formulate a plan of attack for when I need to do this and a picture or two would be a great help. According to Andy from Inland all you can do is remove the tank cut out the valve, glass in an adaptor and plumb from there. However, It appears to me that other people have been able to just remove the valve and rebuild it. There is usually more than one way to do something and I just want hear about the options.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is a third way

The valve is rebuildable, but finding the correct adapter for the slinky is a problem, as it is NLA.
What I did, was remove the valve from ours with it still in the trailer, and installed a Valterra 2" slide valve in its place, using stainless steel machine screws, and flat washers over rubber washers to seal the bolt holes in the bottom of the tank. A few trips to Ace Hardware for an assortment of PVC fittings, and I now have a modern, functioning slide valve, for about $20 in parts.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
??? The hose adapters are readily available and are still made by Thetford. Go to Dyersonline.com and do a search on thetford and you'll find all of the hose adapters you need. Even Camping World sells them. Believe me, they are still available.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
I just finished fixing the dump line on my 86 GT.The attachment from the black tank was not available anywhere. so a redesign was necessary. After trying Tethford and Valtera fittings I found that a Valtera hose fitting just fit the inside of the old valve. Using a Valtera elbow and several adapters to get to a 3" codex drain pipe I ran to the left rear corner where I installed a new valve. Using the plastic pipe cement I shoved the elbow up into the old valve housing and secured it with strapping. This in effect add a 3" by 5' pipe to the black water tank. The old valve still works so I left it in the line so I just have to open 2 valves to dump. I cut and sealed off the gray water lines to the original valve. Using 1 2/4' pvc, connected the two gray water lines to a seperate 3" codex drain pipe which I ran parallel to the black water pipe, gave it its own gate valve so I have two gate valves at the left rear corner one for black and one for gray. In effect I now have a gray water tank that is 3" diameter and 5' long, it won't hold a lot of water but it is better than no gray water storage. If it works out well I may a a tee and a second length of pipe to increase its holding capacity. If you have questions email me at www.stagecoach15@msn.com
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
??? The hose adapters are readily available and are still made by Thetford. Go to Dyersonline.com and do a search on thetford and you'll find all of the hose adapters you need. Even Camping World sells them. Believe me, they are still available.
The Thetford valve on the early 1960's Airstreams are large, gawky brass valves that don't have any adapters available for them. If you do have the hose adapter, and termination cap, the valves are rebuildable. My 63 had one of those, and another forum member had a similar problem (stefroberts, maybe?).
Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Ah, lot's of changes in three year, eh? I think I saw that weird connector several days on another thread. I should just stick to the the 66's!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
More questions?

I am fortunate to have two adaptors.To attach the slinky I just coupled a modern adaptor to the original with a Fernco rubber plumbing connection from Home Depot , that has worked well.
Overlander 63 , when you used the Valterra did it line up with the old bolt holes and how did you deal with the grey water that comes in below the valve?
I understand this valve comes apart in two halves, To reaseal it do you make a new gasket out of gasket material or can something like RTV sealer be used?
Seems like a rebuild might be the way to go for me.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:47 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Taking this one step further, My '83 310 MH needs new seals on the dump valves and there is reference to 2H & 3H Models at
http://www.bellrpg.net/soderbloom/RV...RI=134&SEC=296
.. but at Dyers, they just refer to seals for the dump valve. Can anyone enlighten me on what type of Thetford products were used on 1982/3 build Airstream MH's. The Toilet is the Galaxy, that much I am sure...... but with a dripping Black tank valve (Ugh!....) I need to do something fast!

Many thanks in advance
Chuck Berry
Dorset UK
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote