Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
quickie flush & sewer solution

in my never ending quest to find and install a complete sewer flushing/cleaning setup, i've come up with the following.

i'm thinking of installing two quickie flushes; 1 for the black and 1 for the grey tank and also use the sewer solution.

Quickie Flush w/Access Kit - Camping World

Sewer Solution - 10' Extension Hose Kit - Camping World

both the quickie flush and sewer solution require a garden hose connection. my question is at dump stations is only one garden hose connection provided? i would need two garden hose connections to run the system. i think this could be an efficient & great cleaning/dumping system. any thoughs or ideas?

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
_

. , .
hi david

adding the quickie flush to the black tank is reasonable IF you are the type who abuses the black tank....

as in no 'primer' water inside b4 use, no enzymes, little liquid during use and so on...

btf systems may be most useful for trailers that don't move much....

i can't think of a good reason to have one on the gray tank side.

it's just one more thing to break/leak/seal and simple is good.

my unit has the btf and the flow is so poor it's basically useless.

so i haven't used it in a year.

flush king is king!

the sew' solution is a wonderful thing but requires a HUGE amount running/pressurized water to work.

it is useless boondocking or without full hookups and increases time at the dump station 3-5 fold.

so you would likely need to carry it AND a slinky on camping trips...

have u got that much storage space?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Camping World carries an item called the "water thief". It's a rubber sleeve with a male hose connection. I have found it very useful at public dump stations to do clean-up with my own hose.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have the sewer solution and will second 2air's assesment. I takes me about 20-30 minutes of pumping and back washing to get a 40+gallon (Not the Airstream BTW) black tank done. I mainly use it at home because of where the clean out is located. At the campgrounds I normally use a high quality sewer slinky, I also avoid using the black tank for solids as much as possible It helps cut down on the dump time and cleaning issues.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
DFK
2 Rivet Member

I have no opinion about the set up you are proposing. However to address the problem of one garden hose at the dump station you could purchase a garden hose "y" fitting found at any garden center. These usually have valves for each branch, add two short pieces of garden hose from each branch of the y, one to the sewer solution and one to the quickie flush. The valves on the y fitting would allow you to control the flow of water to either.
DFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
David, I've been using the Sewer Solution and find that it drains quickly and efficiently. It has a water jet nozzle that rotates. When pointed down into the drain line, it pumps/macerates. Rotated back into the tank outlet, it flushes the tank and cleans itself up. If you consider the time it takes to rinse/stow the slinky - it is just as fast and far less messy than just draining the black tank.

When the Sewer Solution jet is directed back into the tank, it shoots a pretty strong stream, so you may not need the Quickie-Flushers - especially if there is a fairly straight shot from the outlet, back into the tank. You might start with one Sewer Solution to see if it rinses to your liking. As the other posters said, you can easily use a garden hose Y or tee, or, solder up a few plumbing fittings if you decide to hook up more that one of these.

The Sewer Solution does not take up much more space to stow than a 10ft garden hose and nozzle.

.....Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward
David, I've been using the Sewer Solution and find that it drains quickly and efficiently. It has a water jet nozzle that rotates. When pointed down into the drain line, it pumps/macerates. Rotated back into the tank outlet, it flushes the tank and cleans itself up. If you consider the time it takes to rinse/stow the slinky - it is just as fast and far less messy than just draining the black tank.

When the Sewer Solution jet is directed back into the tank, it shoots a pretty strong stream, so you may not need the Quickie-Flushers - especially if there is a fairly straight shot from the outlet, back into the tank. You might start with one Sewer Solution to see if it rinses to your liking. As the other posters said, you can easily use a garden hose Y or tee, or, solder up a few plumbing fittings if you decide to hook up more that one of these.

The Sewer Solution does not take up much more space to stow than a 10ft garden hose and nozzle.

.....Scott
And let's not forget the smell of the slinky... IMHO, there isn't enough water to get that out. The Sewer Solution cleans up fast and stores compactly in a bag in the bumper area, including a 10ft extension. Yes it does take longer to drain than a slinky, but a lot less time to rinse out. 2Air is right that every tank will drain faster if the contents are well diluted and shaken or stirred before draining - but that's true with either type of hose. So... crank up the stabilizer jacks the night before you leave and DANCE!

Since I'm not a weekend camper I've never had to wait in line at the dump station, and hooking up the sewer solution is so simple that if I'm in a hurry I won't try to clean the tank to a parade rest, just drain it, put in a couple of gallons of water to scrub the tank and leave, then drain that at my destination. "Sanitizing" a black tank is great, IF you're storing the Airstream between trips, but if you live there full time... well frankly, how long will it stay pristine?

Paula
Old 09-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I know I've seen on this forum a suggestion of throwing a bag or two of ice cubes down the toilet from time to time and doing a bit of driving to get all the "fun" stuff out.

I have a friend who bought a trailer that had not seen a dump station last fall before it got put away for the winter and then sold to him and the local RV repair place suggested this to him, along with a good dollop of tank chem and he was amazed at how it got things cleaned up so quickly. He drove around for 1/2 hour taking every turn he could.

Barry
Old 09-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
glad to hear some positive feedback on the sewer solution. i'm leaning towards that route for sure.

barry, nice new avatar

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
I use the sewer solution and have for the last 2 seasons. It does take quite a bit longer to dump but not having to use the big tube is worth the wait.

I don't find that the backflush function works very well, at least on my trailer. I use a Y-adapter on the water faucet and run a second hose the the black tank washer nozzle and use them in conjunction. It cleans it up really nicely.

b.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote