Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Interesting in this months WBCCI Airstream magazine the monthly letter from Airstream that said quality control was going to be something they were going to start focusing on heavily.

I'm thinking a picture of your problem and a strongly worded letter would get them to focus on one of their weak areas right away.

Hittenstiehl
Old 04-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #22
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Any chance it was removed, somewhere along the way? Any other repair work done in that area?
brick

No chance whatsoever.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Hello??!!
Airstream QC?
Are you monitoring Forums?
It could only get worse in a bigger plant if you don’t solve these issues now.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Talk about quality control, I once pulled the bed frame out of a 2002 CCD and found that every rivet hole from the top of the bed frame down was missing rivets. Out of sight out of mind.
1950 Spartan
Old 04-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The "campus" is expanding again, maybe that will give them enough room to learn something...😏
But I wouldn't count on it.🤬

Bob
🇱🇷

Back in 2003....same-o same-o.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_fb0.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	309407  
Old 04-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I've found Airstream is only a surface or "presentation" company. Flashy website, very good looking trailers on the surface. But underneath, where the quality really counts, Airstream does an amazingly poor job.

They have no quality control. Once Bobby Bilkins puts that trim piece on covering some missing component, or some component installed wrong, no one will ever see it again (until it fails or is stumbled upon). That neglect is never linked to the crappy worker since AS has no quality control.

If I were to ever buy another new AS, I would plan for it to be at the dealer (or factory service) for a MONTH to resolve all of the issues I would find.

AS is like the hot girl in high school you want to take to prom. Her beauty is only skin deep and is assuredly rotten on the inside.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Its constant stories like this that make me really think this will be my first and last AS. Glad I didn't buy new or I would be a thorn in Thor's side if I had similar problems.
Their labor probably thinks these things are funny... "let the rich people buying these things worry about it ". How else do you explain a missing (sewer) vent pipe that the fellow who installed the corner certainly saw missing. Probably had a good laugh about the future smells.

Really pathetic the complete lack of oversight to quality in todays world. The Thor COO must be sleeping, because something is really wrong if they are allowing a very valuable brand name to get trashed like this by AS management.

Really easy to get this right too.

If the owners who are experiencing issues are writing and calling AS in Jackson Center, youre missing the point.
These complaints need to go to Thor corporate CEO/President.
If the complaints go to Thor and it doesn't get fixed, you know what to expect in the future and its not good.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Not to derail, but have you all ever bought a brand new boat? Same deal, luxury item so buyer beware. If you don't want to play the game then hotels are your best friend. Now a luxury item airplane where the government gets involved and see what you pay....

It is unfortunately the situation. Be willing to play the game or go look elsewhere to spend your money.....if ranting here makes you feel better then so be it.

I had a SOB that was 8 years old and crumbling...yes it only cost 10 grand used. My 2007 cost more, but I can fix stuff and it is not crumbling. And am happily fixing things that should serve me until I can no longer safely tow (now that is another discussion as to when we should stop towing)

Just my thought on another rant on a luxury item that costs a ton of money with no real control except the market. So if you don't like what you get go and spend the money it takes to get what you want. Just ranting here gets irritating.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #29
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Not to derail, but have you all ever bought a brand new boat? Same deal, luxury item so buyer beware. If you don't want to play the game then hotels are your best friend. Now a luxury item airplane where the government gets involved and see what you pay....

It is unfortunately the situation. Be willing to play the game or go look elsewhere to spend your money.....if ranting here makes you feel better then so be it.

I had a SOB that was 8 years old and crumbling...yes it only cost 10 grand used. My 2007 cost more, but I can fix stuff and it is not crumbling. And am happily fixing things that should serve me until I can no longer safely tow (now that is another discussion as to when we should stop towing)

Just my thought on another rant on a luxury item that costs a ton of money with no real control except the market. So if you don't like what you get go and spend the money it takes to get what you want. Just ranting here gets irritating.

I don’t disagree with your general sentiment here... but this is pretty egregious don’t you think?

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
It is just amazing that Airstream has been in business how long and yet they still don’t have any real quality control systems in place. It is by luck of the draw as to what you will end up with when you take delivery of a new unit. It might be fine or could have loads of issues. Unreal that this problem of no vent line made it out the door.

I do not agree that the boat industry is in the same sorry shape as the RV world. We have owned a number of boats that have been great. There are premium manufactures that have well documented quality control systems in place and deliver on customer service.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Home airstream and I'm sorry you folks just don't get it, they're handmade by humans there's bound to be mistakes in full paws. I'm just glad we got such a conscientious community that will point all these faults old to boss Horse Brown. I'm just glad the problem still exists so I know that we're not not alone, having bought our trailer in 2003 it's comforting to know good things are still happening at the mother strip.

😂 40 thing is I just bought a new 🛥, it's also handmade by humans not one issue with quality control, I guess the workers in Tennessee have a better altitude.

Disclaimer, this post was typed buy the Def Google dictator.👍

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 04-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
No way you can compare crap quality control like at AS with the boating world. Marine equipment and quality control are far higher. Your life can depend on it.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #33
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
All,

I've received prompt and attentive responses from Jackson Center and they've satisfied my needs on this topic.

Owing to the fact that my post here is a bit alarmist in its format... and that it's starting to drift off topic anyway... I might remove this posting later today. It would be fair to suggest that I should have contacted Jackson Center before making such a public stink (pun intended!) on this topic...

I do plan to create a roundup of all the maintenance issues and modifications I've made to my trailer in the last year, and I'll be sure to include this oversight on that list...

Thanks for all the guidance and support on this one!

--Thiel
Old 04-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #34

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Thanks for the closure information. Always good to hear of a satisfactory conclusion.

The thread title has been adjusted and the thread closed.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread