Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Republic , Missouri
Putting in the tanks

I have a 76 Argosy 26 footer. I am renovating and it came to me with no plumbing or tanks. I have found and purchased a tub and two tanks but little idea how they whould go in and sequence through to drain. Anybody got some plans? I know the gray used to drain through the black but wanting to keep all options open. I plan to travel with the trailer and want as many amenities as I can, thanks.
fixer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer76 View Post
I have a 76 Argosy 26 footer. I am renovating and it came to me with no plumbing or tanks. I have found and purchased a tub and two tanks but little idea how they whould go in and sequence through to drain. Anybody got some plans? I know the gray used to drain through the black but wanting to keep all options open. I plan to travel with the trailer and want as many amenities as I can, thanks.
In my '75 Argosy, the black tank mounts above the floor, in a box directly below the toilet. The gray tank is below the floor (and TINY, the original is 12 gallons!) It's not that the gray drains into the black tank, it's that they both drain through a "Y" to the same sewer connector. I think you may be confused by the fact that people often talk about a particular sequence for draining our tanks.

Black first, THEN gray allows the gray water to help clean out your sewer hose and the drain pipe. Some people take the extra step of lifting the sewer hose to "catch" the gray water, then closing the gray dump valve and lifting the hose even higher while opening the black to backflush the black tank itself. Thus far I haven't resorted to this, I just make sure to add water to the black tank just before dumping for a little better clean-out, but we haven't stayed more than 3 nights at a stretch just yet.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I have a 76 26 Argy as well. Just as stated before separate gray and black. The tub drain runs in black pipe parralel to the tank where it enters into a 3" opening along with the branch lines to the sinks (kitchen & bath). Near the spot where the drain lines enter the tank is another 3" opening for the vent pipe (its opening is situated on top of the gray tank). The black tank is in the trailer and is covered by a piece of plywood that is attached to the rear wall via an aluminum channel and sits on a vertical 8" high piece along the front forming a box that the flange passes thru (threaded into the black tank) the plywood and the outer ring screws to the plywood. The toilet base mounts with two screws to this outer ring. I built a sturdy enclosure to cover mine instead of having everything sitting on top of the black tank. I did that so I could go with a china toilet and for ease of access, should a problem arise at a later date. A picture of it is in my 76 Argosy reno thread. Hope this helps.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Republic , Missouri
OK, thanks for the info. I think I read in my manual (surprising I even have one) that the gray empties through the black. I will have to double check. My main problem now is making the slightly too large tub and tank fit above the floor inside. I may opt for putting both tanks under floor. Wonder if that would cause me any trouble with draining.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Republic , Missouri
Phrunes, where can I find that thread?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer76
Phrunes, where can I find that thread?
Sorry, I can't figure out how to post a link on the mobile app. Just click my profile in this response and look for all threads started by this user. It is called 1976 Argosy 26' - Restoration. It is about 5 down.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

1979 31' Sovereign
CARRIZOZO , New Mexico
Cool

I have a non airstream model travel trailer with no wast tanks a 1980s 5th wheel NewMar,Kountry Aire 38 footer.Can the Form allso give addvice to my porblime or derict me to a Form that model travel trailer.
rollinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Our '74 Argosy 26' has two tanks. The black tank sets above the floor. I removed the flimsy box that AS built and fabricated a box from 3/4" treated plywood. Followed by new flooring, cabinetry and toilet. The valve for draining the black water is in the rear compartment about in the center of the trailer from left to right.
The gray water tank is below the floor. The tub, galley and bath sinks drain into this tank. There is a heat duct hose that runs from the end of the furnace duct that enters the compartment containing the gray water tank. The valve for the gray water tank is located on the street side just forward of the rear bumper. The gray water does not pass thru the black water tank. They both use a common pipe for draining and are connected with a "Y" in the rear compartment of the trailer.
It's snowing here today. If you would like photos send me a PM and I'll get a few shots the first chance I get.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
most airstreams have both tanks below the floor. The outlet is so low that you have to be careful about dump sites and sewer connections. But when you get a dump station or sewer connection that is actually flush with the ground and/or not on the uphill side it works perfectly.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote