Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Pumping out the tanks

When I went to flush the black and grey tanks today at the pump out station I noticed that the ends of the hose was cut. It did not have the male ending. I was unable to get the hose to fit into waste water flush fitting and as a result I could not flush out the tanks without getting completely soaked.
I have not come across this before so I was wondering what the fix would be.

Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Not an uncommon situation. I carry my your own "flush out" hose (green) and I keep it the storge bay with the extra sections of slinky hose.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Not uncommon at all. Here in AZ many of the state parks' dump stations do what they can to discourage using their water to flush your holding tank. Some hoses have been cut so there's no way to thread it to hte flush system. Others have bent the male fitting so it won't screw into the fitting... Sometimes you can remove their hose and attach and use your own grey hose, like Keith mentions above, but one in particular I know of has gone so far as to attach a nozzle (without a thread) to the hose that is then counter-sealed so you can't take the nozzle off and attach their hose the to your rinse system...nor can you remove their hose from the source to use your own hose.

I suspect that they are doing two things: (1) trying to conserve their own water usage, and (2) trying to reduce the number of nozzles and/or hoses that walk away. Living in the desert where water is more precious makes it a little more understandable, but sometimes I feel like it's just mean. We can dump and rinse at home if we have to...but it's a hassle ... If we are just moving to another campground I usually don't bother with a "full rinse," but try to do it when we leave the last campground of a trip.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
One of these with a hose clamp in case you need it might help.

Stanley/oliver Products - Water Thief - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
One of these with a hose clamp in case you need it might help.

Stanley/oliver Products - Water Thief - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

Ken
I carry one of those water thief guys, but I've never used it... Maybe I would if I were somewhere where I desperately needed to fill up our fresh water tank and the spigot wasn't threaded for a hose. But I've notices that most of the places where there is no thread on the fresh-water spigot, there's also a little sign that says "Water for carrying to your campsite only ... please do not fill fresh water tanks" ...or something to that effect. It would be my luck the minute I got the thief all attached and set to go, a ranger would come along and catch me. Oops.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
This might also work on your trailer.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...cht-83111.html

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
When I went to flush the black and grey tanks today at the pump out station I noticed that the ends of the hose was cut. It did not have the male ending. I was unable to get the hose to fit into waste water flush fitting and as a result I could not flush out the tanks without getting completely soaked.
I have not come across this before so I was wondering what the fix would be.

Thanks
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I carry one of those water thief guys, but I've never used it... Maybe I would if I were somewhere where I desperately needed to fill up our fresh water tank and the spigot wasn't threaded for a hose. But I've notices that most of the places where there is no thread on the fresh-water spigot, there's also a little sign that says "Water for carrying to your campsite only ... please do not fill fresh water tanks" ...or something to that effect. It would be my luck the minute I got the thief all attached and set to go, a ranger would come along and catch me. Oops.
Learn how to say "I don't read or speak English" in German or Russian.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
[QUOTE="TBRich
I suspect that they are doing two things: (1) trying to conserve their own water usage, and (2) trying to reduce the number of nozzles and/or hoses that walk away. Living in the desert where water is more precious makes it a little more understandable, but sometimes I feel like it's just mean. We can dump and rinse at home if we have to...but it's a hassle ... If we are just moving to another campground I usually don't bother with a "full rinse," but try to do it when we leave the last campground of a trip.[/QUOTE]

Hey, it's their water, their faucet, their facility, so they make the rules. Breaking the rules just encourages them to shut everything down, which makes it hard on all of us who are looking for a place to dump. I carry a piece of hardware that clamps on a cut hose, and has a threaded end that screws into the female input to the fresh water tank, and the BW flusher. If I have to hide its use, I won't use it, but that has never happened. If they don't want you to use their water to flush or fill your tanks, go somewhere else. How would you feel if someone disrespected your rules at your house?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Flash ... I basically agree ... and as I said, I have never used the water thief... I do respect the rules. Filling a tank with fresh water is one thing ... I've never done so when it's obvious they don't want me to. However, fittings being rigged at a dump station as to not allow one to flush a tank when needed is a different matter, IMHO.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think the reason they leave the fitting off the hose is so that no one accidentally fills the fresh water tank with a potentially contaminated hose.

Actually I saw some people doing just that when the hose had a fitting. They were renting a motorhome and from another country and didn't speak English well, so they may not have understood if it had been explained to them. I tried to stop them and they just told me it was OK, they "had two tanks".
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Why not just dump your tanks put the cap back on and leave. Why all the fuss? The less stuff I touch at a dump station and the less time I spend there getting contaminated the better.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I just made up a short hose that I leave attached to the flush fitting. If no ones waiting, just attach to the FW outlet and use the pump. Not as efficient, but works 'til we get home.
Granted having a "dumper" at home helps.

Bob
Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
When there no hose I use a bucket to pour water through the toilet into the tank to flush the remaining crap out.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote