Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 04:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for all of the ideas.

We are heading out in a couple of weeks and will be utilizing the tote we bought (12 gallon) for the first time in the field.

When we "tested" at home during our de-winterization, we found that using the adapter for the 4 inch opening -to-garden hose on the trailer waste hookup allowed the simplest draining of the gray tank. In that you could easily scoot the waste tank away from the trailer by the length of the garden hose, and get enough slope to overcome the difference in height from the top of the portable tank and the trailer to get the water flowing.

We too only use black for liquids, and will be using the gray for showering. We will be staying at a national park with no water or sewer or showers and anticipate dumping gray every day so we can shower.

Has anyone added any kind of strap/handle onto their "smaller" 12 gallon tank to make it easier for 2 people to lift into the truck? I am pondering this one. Thinking maybe some type of harness tied around made from rope or straps to give a grab point on the opposite side of the handle.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
We use the Barker 16 gal four-wheeled tote. It fits upright against the back wall of the pick-up bed under the SnugTop. It seemed to be the best compromise between size and capacity. It is invaluable when needed and well made. Purchased through Amazon. Larger sizes come with pneumatic tires.

We only use it for grey water since we hardly ever use the toilet. Only used for the occasional middle of the night pee. No "solids" have ever been introduced to the black water tank. In my view, why bother when there are facilities nearby?
Some of us use the on board toilet because we choose not to use a public one. Don't know who used the cg facilities before you. I once had a job cleaning toilets and decided then that I would only use a public one if absolutely necessary. People are nasty!! It's nice to know who slept in the bed the night before and who showered and pooped in the bathroom yesterday. I've had to mop the walls to get the poop off, use a shovel to pick up adult diapers tossed against the wall and piled in the corner, scraped poop off door handles and sinks and hose down the floor because someone decided not to use the toilet but the floor. That's why I use the toilet in my Avion. Sorry for the rant!! Just because it looks doesn't mean it was disinfected.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My last post was a hijack, I got carried away, sorry.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:23 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Guskmg, another reason for not letting your tanks, especially the black, get totally full is you're screwed if there is a problem with a handle coming off or something coming lose that you can't easily get to.

Also, we don't use public facilities unless absolutely necessary. We have spent a lot of money, and time, with RVs over the years in order to sleep in our own bed, use our own shower and toilet. It is our home away from home.

Pam
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:47 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Has anyone added any kind of strap/handle onto their "smaller" 12 gallon tank to make it easier for 2 people to lift into the truck? I am pondering this one. Thinking maybe some type of harness tied around made from rope or straps to give a grab point on the opposite side of the handle.
Best handled by means of a simple sling— a strap that wraps around the tote and provides a handhold.

Double-wrap the strap, so you have two loops. As you grab one loop, the other loop pulls tight around the tote to keep the sling from shifting.

The sling may be in the form of a belt, with a buckle to make it easier to adjust the length and to wrap it around even when the tote is already full. If so, use a side-squeeze buckle; they're more secure.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
. . .
We are heading out in a couple of weeks and will be utilizing the tote we bought (12 gallon) for the first time in the field.
. . .
Thanks again for the post on the 20-footer thread. Where are you going to store your tote when you are on the road? I think the 12-gallon size would just fit slipped on edge between our FC20 stainless rock guards and the cover for the propane tanks.

Maybe inside our van tow vehicle is the better place as the empty tote is fairly light and can be kept in a plastic bag? [grey water use only BTW]

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We will probably have it in the pickup truck bed.

I double-wrapped a tiedown strap (since I had one anyway) onto the tote and think that will work fine as a grab point to lift the full tote into the truck.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Frisco , Texas
tote is higher than dump valve

I used a tote for the time last month. I bought the largest Barker Tote.
The problem is the tote is higher than the AS dump value, how do you get the watewr to flow up to the tote?
Arnoldter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldter View Post

The problem is the tote is higher than the AS dump value, how do you get the watewr to flow up to the tote?

If you have the version I do, the hose is on a fitting that kind of "snaps" forward so it's my sitting at the top of the tote but closer to the ground. First time I used it, I missed that convenient feature!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #30
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldter View Post
We have a dedicated black garden hose 25' that is used for that reason. Usually within 25' you can find a place for the blueboy that is low enough
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I would think the garden hose would only work with a macerater.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #32
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I would think the garden hose would only work with a macerater.
We only use the blueboy for gray water
AIR #30685
Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Why?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #34
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
To much of a mess trying to use it for black tank. You do not have the capacity in the blueboy for rinsing out anything, so when you go to unhook, YUK! Plus our stays at campsites is 14 days max and we are able to make due usually with the black tank not getting full in that time
AIR #30685
Old 01-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
To much of a mess trying to use it for black tank. You do not have the capacity in the blueboy for rinsing out anything, so when you go to unhook, YUK! Plus our stays at campsites is 14 days max and we are able to make due usually with the black tank not getting full in that time
Tote is only for grey water tank IMHO. I personally wouldn't use it for the black tank.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Why?
Tote should only be used for gray water IMHO. Too much chance of spillage and contamination of camp site with black tank. I have the Sewer Solution hose fitting that I can get the tote below the AS discharge at some point around the camp site then empty it at one of the nearby dishwater dumps by standing it on end then when water level down to the height of the dishwater dump, I pull it on top to finish draining.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:02 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
To each his own I guess. I use mine for either, whichever needs dumped. No spillage, but I never fill the tank completely, too heavy. Rinsing? Put the cap on and go.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
We only use the tote for grey water (we have a composting toilet). In order to save my back, we place the 18 gallon tote in the back of the TV and fill it using a 12V pump. We went with a more expensive pump (Gulper Toilet Pump) to get better reliability and higher flow rate. Fills it in about 4 minutes. Then at the dump site we can let gravity empty it.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Sandusky , Ohio
New to Airstream & tank emptying

We have a 1985 Excella 34' We have it towed to waterfront site on a river in the Spring and back to an indoor storage for winter. Our grey water dumps directly into an in ground tank at each site. Black tanks are emptied every two weeks by a honey bucket service. Last summer was our first in our AS and we encountered sewer odor in AS when flushing upon return after 3 days away from site. Would it be best to leave bathroom fan running? Fantastic fan (w/rain sensor) running when we are away? We used Unique Digest It in toilet each time it was emptied but still have hot weather odor issue. Is this typical?? Should be empty black tank into a
pauliesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Universal City , Arkansas
We are newbies and found this feed very helpful! Thanks!
Barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote