Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Question Problems with black tank clogging above tank?

Sorry for the lousy description here, tried searching, but the terms are probably limiting my results.

So our tank is empty, and you know how there is the opening that is cone shaped under the toilet above the tank, it seems to be getting blocked easily and the waste is not falling down into the tank. We have to use a stick and keep pushing it thru and then everything falls down into the tank.

I've done yelled at the wife already about TP, and we use the stuff for RV's that is rated for black tanks, but still, when I flush I can see it all sitting there.

Anyone have any ideas, or solutions or toilet edict we should be following?

Even filling up the whole bowl isn't moving it.

Maybe our TP is the problem. Really don't want to keep jamming a stick in there, as that's gross, and requires me to bag and dispose of said stick.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
More fiber???
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Since the blockage is occurring between the toilet and the black tank entrance my guess is that too much TP is being used to take care of business. We keep the TP usage to the minimum and keep the solids to liquid ratio at 2:1, or better yet 3:1.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Whatever you do DO NOT POST ANY PICTURES!!

Seriously, I would first try to fill the bowl with more water before you use the toilet for any solid waste discharge (at least halfway if not 3/4.) And if necessary, plan a "two flush" approach, the first one for human waste and the second for the TP.

Best of luck!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Since the blockage is occurring between the toilet and the black tank entrance my guess is that too much TP is being used to take care of business. We keep the TP usage to the minimum and keep the solids to liquid ratio at 2:1, or better yet 3:1.
I am virtually 100% certain that Kevin has misspoken here and that his recommended ratios for water to solids are reversed. More water is definitely better!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I second the more fiber and don't post any pictures.

If when the toilet is clear and you open the valve, and it opens all the way, and can not see an obstruction under the toilet you are dealing with a medical issue.

I can see this one taking off.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's different in Florida. Could be a gator or cottonmouth in there.

from the AIRphone
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Well I was going to instagram a picture for you all, but now...

I filled up the bowel, flushed it, water all went down, I think it's the TP. As it seems like it's just sticking to the sides, despite being soaked. I also, opened the valve and emptied the tank again, although we have only been here 1 day.

I mean, I know I had a big steak dinner and some chili and all

Guess I'll just keep some paint sticks handy. Sigh.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You could have a garden hose with a high pressure nozzle attached ready on the floor when you need it..then you would not need a stick...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I am virtually 100% certain that Kevin has misspoken here and that his recommended ratios for water to solids are reversed. More water is definitely better!

Yep. The ratio should be reversed. Next libation of choice is on me Bob.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Well... a suggestion... fill the bowl 1/2 - 2/3 full of water before 'the go'.. keep as much water as possible before you take your seat.

After most of your deposit is complete, lightly clean then FLUSH! If you do not get a 'swoosh', I wonder if your vent line is restricted? Must HAVE vent air for the 'flush' to work properly.

Then, fill bowl again.. and finish cleanup... fill then flush again.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Problems with black tank clogging above tank?

Look up the GEO method. That'll keep you reading awhile on WOODALLS. And use a strong amount of CALGON water softener. You can also get wands that affix to the water hose. Snake hose through window. Easiest to remove toilet the first bad time. Back in the good old sexist days this was one of my jobs as a teen in my parents Silver Streak. Reminded of it, my sisters clammed up when complaining I didn't do the dishes any of three times daily. The clogs were sometimes of female utensils, shall we say. Five people using a trailer for weeks can create a build up. And nothing like a 100F Texas summer day to fix it.

from the AIRphone
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I pushed it down in there with a stick. Keeping an eye on it the rest of the week to see if we can avoid this particular problem again. Passing along fill it up with water to the wifey and self.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
One thing not mentioned but must be remembered-- DO NOT flush Kleenex as it doesn't disintegrate like TP does and will cause a nasty build-up or blockage. Only use RV approved TP, white, not colored or a pattern as the inks can keep the paper from dissolving properly. My toilet wasn't working properly so I removed it, and took it apart. My neighbors said that when I clean a toilet, I really clean the toilet. ( I replaced the gaskets while it was apart)
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
Is it possible that you are connected to a dump pipe in a campground? If so the liquid waste will go down the drain and leave the solids in the tank and they will pile up right under the toilet.If you are hooked to the drain its possible that your dump valve is letting the liquid leak thru and leaving the solids just sitting where they dropped. Try putting filling the tank with water (if you are where you can dump it) and stir the mess around with your stick and then dump it.After its empty close your dump valve then disconnect you dump hose and pour water down the toilet to see if the valve is leaking.I usually dump a bucket of water in the toilet after dumping so the solid waste has something to float on and not stick to the bottom of the tank as it seems yours is doing
Old 12-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiesel View Post
Is it possible that you are connected to a dump pipe in a campground? If so the liquid waste will go down the drain and leave the solids in the tank and they will pile up right under the toilet.If you are hooked to the drain its possible that your dump valve is letting the liquid leak thru and leaving the solids just sitting where they dropped. Try putting filling the tank with water (if you are where you can dump it) and stir the mess around with your stick and then dump it.After its empty close your dump valve then disconnect you dump hose and pour water down the toilet to see if the valve is leaking.I usually dump a bucket of water in the toilet after dumping so the solid waste has something to float on and not stick to the bottom of the tank as it seems yours is doing
Beat me to it. I'd guess that they actually have the black tank valve OPEN instead of closed. You can leave the gray tank open while camping, but the black tank should be allowed to fill up at least 1/3 of the way before you open the black gate valve. When you get "the black hills" in the black tank, it is because the water is going down the slinky.

STUFF (sh##) FLOATS... and after it floats for a while it dissolves into a slurry... and so to a lesser degree does toilet paper. Close the drain gate and put 5 to 8 gallons of water down the toilet. Add Rid-x or any other "digester" chemical. Let it stand for a day or so, then pull the release valve and look for raw sienna colored liquid. Nuf said?

OK - on edit - I just took another look at your Avatar... I see a munchkin who might have flushed Barbie, or G.I. Joe, or a fork down there just to see what would happen. You're not missing any baby bottles are you? You can get a toilet wand that attaches to a garden hose and blast through from the bowl to clear or at least clearly show you what's obstructing the works. A pressure washing rig could work too, but don't get too aggressive with the pressure - no ricochets wanted! Whatever you do, DO check to make sure that your black valve is closed - and not leaking too.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I know better enough than to leave the black tank valve open. I also pre-fill about 10 gallons in the black tank when we show up to camp.

The area I was describing is shaped like a funnel, directly under the gate inside the toilet. The hole in the center of the funnel I believe was getting clogged with TP. All the water we flushed would go down thru, but the wet TP just building up in the hole directly over the black tank. That's why with a tap of a stick, it all fell directly into the black tank, as it should.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Have you considered "Geo Cashing"? I hear that is popular.

What is it with women and toilet "tissue". I do not care if the tissue can be digested by microbes or not.

We are on Septic and a well. We are too far from a City, Town and just far enough from neighbors. The wife keeps a trash "receptacle" for sorting what goes down the drain and what is best for the trash haulers on Thursdays.

You can tell how many females live in one house on Septic by the amount of toilet paper... I know, my neighbor wanted me to help him check his Septic to see if he needed to have it pumped. It could have been a new Hawaiian Island in progress from my opinion.

I know it might seem barbaric but by being selective what goes down the hatch will prevent your having to fish around to find what is clogging up the works. It could be a lost monkey that escaped from the Zoo... or just too much waste paper being tossed that could be delivered to a trash bin at your next gasoline stop. It is sterile and no threat to the environment.

Good luck. You could win this argument... but most likely the wife's expression will be all the answer you are going to require. You know... "are you nuts?"
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I know better enough than to leave the black tank valve open. I also pre-fill about 10 gallons in the black tank when we show up to camp.

The area I was describing is shaped like a funnel, directly under the gate inside the toilet. The hole in the center of the funnel I believe was getting clogged with TP. All the water we flushed would go down thru, but the wet TP just building up in the hole directly over the black tank. That's why with a tap of a stick, it all fell directly into the black tank, as it should.
I believe that I understand where you say the "hang up" is occurring and I know I said NO PICTURES but this "funnel" you describe right below the flush valve sounds all wrong to me. Our toilet has a fairly straight drop through to the black tank. Looking at it I would never think of it as a funnel. Please clarify that your opening is indeed a funnel shaped or it is pretty much a tube with a similar opening at both ends. If it really does look like a funnel (i.e., larger at the top and significantly smaller at the bottom) please post some pictures of this thing (all cleaned up of course) so we can look at this and see what you've got going on. If the drop is straight through, then I would increase the amount of water you use when depositing solids in the toilet. I fill the bowl to between 1/2 and 3/4 at these times and have never had any problem whatsoever.

Also, what kind of TP are you using? I mean specific brand if not "RV specific" or is it single ply such as Scotts?
Old 12-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
Questions about black tank sprayer

I've made more than one attempt to run water from either a garden hose attached to a well or even my exterior faucet on my AS to help breakdown the cone of crap. I do not know if I'm accomplishing any success. I'm not able to see down into my tank like others have mentioned. I have also dumped as many as 6 tubs of hot hot water down into toilet, still looks the same from what I can see. I've thrown in Ice cubes, filled it up with water and drove 250 miles to next camp. I'm not completely sure I have a problem or not. We use only RV paper, never anything else down there. So my question is how good a job does the sprayer do. And how do you know? Ron
panora2 is offline   Reply With Quote