Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #41
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
6 to 8 in. below the valve is the bottom of the tank. What side of the trailer is the toilet on, curb or street? If curb that is a common problem in all trailer made with the toilet on the curb side of the trailer. The water out runs the solids and leaves thing behind. No pun intended.
Mine curb side. I spent some time flushing out my tank this morning. Filling up, dumping, filling up, dumping.

I have a serious worry now after shinny my flash light in there.

Is it possible that there is a straight pipe inside the base of the toilet that connects to the black tank, and that this was 'left out' by who-ever reinstalled my toilet. Looking in there, I thought, what if this is actually the inside of the base of the toilet! Dear God, I hope not.

We're redoing the floors, so I'm going to pull up the toilet anyhow. Ewwww...

Old 01-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Is it possible that there is a straight pipe inside the base of the toilet that connects to the black tank, and that this was 'left out' by who-ever reinstalled my toilet. Looking in there, I thought, what if this is actually the inside of the base of the toilet! Dear God, I hope not.
I doubt that your toilet is not connected to your black tank. If that was the case then the toilet effluent would end up in your belly pan every time you flushed and you would have one helluva mess. More than likely you have a non-standard connection between the toilet and black tank and that is proving to be problematic.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
OK now we are getting somewhere.

There is no reason for a reducing coupler to be installed under the toilet. The toilet should sit on a foam ring that is between the toilet and the flange on the black tank. If someone put a reducing coupler in there get it out and install the toilet correctly.

Now you have another problem that is not easily fixed if you toilet is on the curb side. The black tank has a slopped bottom and when a toilet is on the curb side it will result in brown mounds building on the bottom of the black tank. This is a design error that results in the water outrunning the solids when you flush. No amount of spraying from the black tank water connection will have any effect on this.

I can only think of 2 solutions. Periodically pure a bucket of water down on the brown mound while the valve is open hoping that moves it or by a trailer with the toilet on the street side. The first limits the length you can camp without dumping because of the extra water used and the second could be a bit costly.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We had a boat with a very narrow pipe below the toilet bowl that had similar flushing problems. We found that making an "X" of toilet paper in the bottom of the bowl before use, enclosed the solid waste in a TP envelope as it dropped through, which greatly reduced "hang-ups" in the pipe.

Just a suggestion, but this might be a very simple workaround...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not to be redundant, but if you use a flush hose that us standard on some AS after each flush you will not have a problem. On our last AS we used it ti rinse the bowl from above. This also added some additional water to the black tank. Easy to install if you do not have one. Peace, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
perhaps some lubrication might help AND

Yes this is a real product!

https://www.youtube.com/user/poo?v=ZKLnhuzh9uY

or the original commercial:

Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
instead of using paint sticks, try using a broom handle push to it down ,then you could wash it between uses in the shower and it is reusable and you still have a broom!!!!
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Spray Pam to the inside of the bowl. We spray it on the toilet bowls of our aircraft to keep paper and waste from sticking to the toilet bowl.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #49
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Spray Pam to the inside of the bowl. We spray it on the toilet bowls of our aircraft to keep paper and waste from sticking to the toilet bowl.
Now that's an idea!!!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Last night I happened to think about this thread and took the time to look down the black hole of Calcutta in my own bathroom, and guess what, there's a reduction in the size of the pipe on mine, sort of near the far end. So I guess you've got original equipment in the bathroom.

(I never use cooking spray because one of the ingredients is actually aluminium but we have a can here at work so I'm taking it home and spraying the bowl and the pipe below it. ) I haven't had a problem with stuff hanging up in the pipe, but an ounce of prevention is a good thing.

Paula
Old 01-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #51
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wil try the "Pam" method. Also, we hav some mineral OIL that I put in a pump sprayer to try. Not having significant problem just heading it off.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #52
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
This problem kind of resolved itself. I think too much TP not enough water down the hole the first time was the problem. Since I mentioned it, hasn't happened since.

I gave the Black Tank a good flushing too, filling the thing all the way up a few times and dumping it.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Noticed you're from Clearwater;-)
Congrats!

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
maple grove , Minnesota
problem with black tank clogging above tank

Someone mentioned that only approved toilet paper should be used. Hmmmm I wonder who the approval agency is? Probably a federal agency
thebreezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #55
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreezeman View Post
Someone mentioned that only approved toilet paper should be used. Hmmmm I wonder who the approval agency is? Probably a federal agency
Probably, yet, the 'official' RV TP actually is really brittle.. comes apart with not much water.. so... you get less to 'stick' to inside the black tank. We use SINGLE ply SCOTT... no issues... and much cheeper.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Put a couple of sheets of clean toilet tissue in a glass of water and stir with a spoon. If sheets shred and break up easily, your tissue is OK. Nearly all toilet tissue will pass this test, and there is no need to pay extra for special RV tissue.

The key to avoiding black tank dumping problems is WATER. Do not dump a partially full black tank. If necessary, allow toilet to flush with fresh water until black tank is nearly full, before opening dump valve. This will insure a powerful flow that should drain all solids from tank.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote