Old 12-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
Is it possible that you are connected to a dump pipe in a campground? If so the liquid waste will go down the drain and leave the solids in the tank and they will pile up right under the toilet.If you are hooked to the drain its possible that your dump valve is letting the liquid leak thru and leaving the solids just sitting where they dropped. Try putting filling the tank with water (if you are where you can dump it) and stir the mess around with your stick and then dump it.After its empty close your dump valve then disconnect you dump hose and pour water down the toilet to see if the valve is leaking.I usually dump a bucket of water in the toilet after dumping so the solid waste has something to float on and not stick to the bottom of the tank as it seems yours is doing

Old 12-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiesel View Post
Is it possible that you are connected to a dump pipe in a campground? If so the liquid waste will go down the drain and leave the solids in the tank and they will pile up right under the toilet.If you are hooked to the drain its possible that your dump valve is letting the liquid leak thru and leaving the solids just sitting where they dropped. Try putting filling the tank with water (if you are where you can dump it) and stir the mess around with your stick and then dump it.After its empty close your dump valve then disconnect you dump hose and pour water down the toilet to see if the valve is leaking.I usually dump a bucket of water in the toilet after dumping so the solid waste has something to float on and not stick to the bottom of the tank as it seems yours is doing
Beat me to it. I'd guess that they actually have the black tank valve OPEN instead of closed. You can leave the gray tank open while camping, but the black tank should be allowed to fill up at least 1/3 of the way before you open the black gate valve. When you get "the black hills" in the black tank, it is because the water is going down the slinky.

STUFF (sh##) FLOATS... and after it floats for a while it dissolves into a slurry... and so to a lesser degree does toilet paper. Close the drain gate and put 5 to 8 gallons of water down the toilet. Add Rid-x or any other "digester" chemical. Let it stand for a day or so, then pull the release valve and look for raw sienna colored liquid. Nuf said?

OK - on edit - I just took another look at your Avatar... I see a munchkin who might have flushed Barbie, or G.I. Joe, or a fork down there just to see what would happen. You're not missing any baby bottles are you? You can get a toilet wand that attaches to a garden hose and blast through from the bowl to clear or at least clearly show you what's obstructing the works. A pressure washing rig could work too, but don't get too aggressive with the pressure - no ricochets wanted! Whatever you do, DO check to make sure that your black valve is closed - and not leaking too.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I know better enough than to leave the black tank valve open. I also pre-fill about 10 gallons in the black tank when we show up to camp.

The area I was describing is shaped like a funnel, directly under the gate inside the toilet. The hole in the center of the funnel I believe was getting clogged with TP. All the water we flushed would go down thru, but the wet TP just building up in the hole directly over the black tank. That's why with a tap of a stick, it all fell directly into the black tank, as it should.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Have you considered "Geo Cashing"? I hear that is popular.

What is it with women and toilet "tissue". I do not care if the tissue can be digested by microbes or not.

We are on Septic and a well. We are too far from a City, Town and just far enough from neighbors. The wife keeps a trash "receptacle" for sorting what goes down the drain and what is best for the trash haulers on Thursdays.

You can tell how many females live in one house on Septic by the amount of toilet paper... I know, my neighbor wanted me to help him check his Septic to see if he needed to have it pumped. It could have been a new Hawaiian Island in progress from my opinion.

I know it might seem barbaric but by being selective what goes down the hatch will prevent your having to fish around to find what is clogging up the works. It could be a lost monkey that escaped from the Zoo... or just too much waste paper being tossed that could be delivered to a trash bin at your next gasoline stop. It is sterile and no threat to the environment.

Good luck. You could win this argument... but most likely the wife's expression will be all the answer you are going to require. You know... "are you nuts?"
Old 12-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I know better enough than to leave the black tank valve open. I also pre-fill about 10 gallons in the black tank when we show up to camp.

The area I was describing is shaped like a funnel, directly under the gate inside the toilet. The hole in the center of the funnel I believe was getting clogged with TP. All the water we flushed would go down thru, but the wet TP just building up in the hole directly over the black tank. That's why with a tap of a stick, it all fell directly into the black tank, as it should.
I believe that I understand where you say the "hang up" is occurring and I know I said NO PICTURES but this "funnel" you describe right below the flush valve sounds all wrong to me. Our toilet has a fairly straight drop through to the black tank. Looking at it I would never think of it as a funnel. Please clarify that your opening is indeed a funnel shaped or it is pretty much a tube with a similar opening at both ends. If it really does look like a funnel (i.e., larger at the top and significantly smaller at the bottom) please post some pictures of this thing (all cleaned up of course) so we can look at this and see what you've got going on. If the drop is straight through, then I would increase the amount of water you use when depositing solids in the toilet. I fill the bowl to between 1/2 and 3/4 at these times and have never had any problem whatsoever.

Also, what kind of TP are you using? I mean specific brand if not "RV specific" or is it single ply such as Scotts?
Old 12-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
Questions about black tank sprayer

I've made more than one attempt to run water from either a garden hose attached to a well or even my exterior faucet on my AS to help breakdown the cone of crap. I do not know if I'm accomplishing any success. I'm not able to see down into my tank like others have mentioned. I have also dumped as many as 6 tubs of hot hot water down into toilet, still looks the same from what I can see. I've thrown in Ice cubes, filled it up with water and drove 250 miles to next camp. I'm not completely sure I have a problem or not. We use only RV paper, never anything else down there. So my question is how good a job does the sprayer do. And how do you know? Ron
Old 12-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post
I've made more than one attempt to run water from either a garden hose attached to a well or even my exterior faucet on my AS to help breakdown the cone of crap. I do not know if I'm accomplishing any success. I'm not able to see down into my tank like others have mentioned. I have also dumped as many as 6 tubs of hot hot water down into toilet, still looks the same from what I can see. I've thrown in Ice cubes, filled it up with water and drove 250 miles to next camp. I'm not completely sure I have a problem or not. We use only RV paper, never anything else down there. So my question is how good a job does the sprayer do. And how do you know? Ron
I have no experience with the sprayer so I can't help you there. But if you suspect that you have a "cone of death" problem but can't see it due to some pipe configuration issues, I would think that the sprayer would also have trouble getting in position to do you any good. Instead, I suggest that you use septic tank enzymes (Rid-X All About Septic Systems, Maintenance and Septic Tank Problems | RID-X®) along with sufficient fresh water to nearly fill the black tank. Let the whole thing sit in your driveway for a couple of weeks or longer, then drive around town for 15 to 30 minutes making sure you go around a lot of corners, then dump the whole thing. If you have a black tank flush (I don't think the older AS' have this) use it. If you don't have a black tank flush, I would refill the black tank with fresh water and dump again a couple of times. If you attach a clear bayonet adapter between the dump valve and hose (Clearview 5" Sewer Adapter with Bayonet Lugs - Valterra T1021 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World) you will see how your efforts are paying off. Keep filling and dumping the black tank until you see reasonably clear liquid emerging from your black tank. That's about the best you are going to be able to do with an older trailer such as yours short of replacing the black tank.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:29 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post

Do you have a "house" type of toilet? one that has the trap? porcelain? Most RV units are straight thru, blade or ball valve on the bottom to keep the gasses from returning -- When this blade is slid back or the ball is rotated, there is a clean line of site into the black tank. It is usually a 4 " diameter hole for "stuff" to easily pass through.
we need "clean" pictures ♫ ♪ ☺
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thus problem is why some AS have a separate hose to rinse the tank after flushing. Can be installed as an accessory. Flush the toilet and then rinse with the hose. Th tp really isn't visible is it? Peace, Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There appears to be some possible misconceptions about the OPs issue. A well lit photo might help clear up this confusion. My toilet has no "funnel" as such. It is a straight large pipe from the toilet to the tank. I have found that depending on the amount of solids and paper in the toilet if enough water is not added to the bowl prior to use it might not all dump when the flush gate is opened and a larger amount of water has to be added. I keep a small bowl brush handy just in case to keep the bowl clean.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
There appears to be some possible misconceptions about the OPs issue. A well lit photo might help clear up this confusion. My toilet has no "funnel" as such. It is a straight large pipe from the toilet to the tank. I have found that depending on the amount of solids and paper in the toilet if enough water is not added to the bowl prior to use it might not all dump when the flush gate is opened and a larger amount of water has to be added. I keep a small bowl brush handy just in case to keep the bowl clean.
I agree about the photo Michael, I am puzzled about the OP's use of the word "funnel." I wonder if he really has some form of restriction in the tube to the black tank that is not standard (??) or if he is just using the term "funnel" loosely to describe the opening to the back tank. In any event, I would think that employing more water when the toilet is used for solids would solve the problem he is describing.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
While I have not yet used the new toilet I just installed I think I can see the issue. The new toilet has a bowl shape much like a domestic toilet. The problem I envision is the fact that the trailer toilet is not filled with water before usage and thus Dry Wall Sticking is going to be a problem. The older RV toilets did look more like a funnel and thus any small amount water applied before or during flushing served a useful purpose.

Several have mentioned or questioned the distance or piping between the toilet and the black tank. There is Nothing between them. The toilet is directly connected to the top of the black tank with only the toilet valve between before and after.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had the same thought about a "funnel" vs. a "cylinder" or tube. But I did notice that this is a 2007 so even if our fellow member is the second owner it's likely that his throne is original equipment.

Not to be too graphic, but I once loaned my trailer out while I was on vacation. The people I loaned it to left it in great condition, however, it took hours to clear "the captain's log" when I drained the black tank. I don't know how one produces poo with the consistency of terra cotta, but it happened. And since I use a Sewer Solution... a breakup of the solids that would normally have been almost instant using the mascerator simply didn't work very well. I must have run 50 gallons of quite warm water through the entire system - and I finally closed the gate, filled and dumped the gray tank to clear the end of the drain, then put a triple dose of Rid-X down the black tank and let it ferment for a week or so. After a week of "digestion" the tank emptied normally.

College sophomores are gross by nature - I remember a pre-med major who stated "food is just unprocessed sh**" and it is true that what you eat does affect what happens at the other end. Even the FDA strongly urges people to add more uncooked green and leafy veggies and fruit to their diets. I would however suggest that kale is wonderful, but sleep outside, and always FACE the campfire.... human methane is flammable and doesn't require an artificial odorant like natural gas.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
No 'funnel' on ours,(OEM). Just a sharply angled flat area about 6-8in below the valve.

At times some of the regular deposits have have decided to rest there but have been easily rinsed down with the attached sprayer.

Bob