Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Grass Valley , California
Probes for thick-walled holding tanks?

I'm looking for probes that will work on a couple holding tanks that have 3/8" thick walls..

A friend of mine had ProTanks whip up some custom holding tanks for his 73 Tradewind, and the walls of the tanks are too thick to use the Horst probes he ordered..

I tested the Horst probes on a 1/2" thick piece of plastic to see if they would hold, but as I started tightening up the nuts, the probe started backing itself out of the hole, which is what I assumed would happen since the rubber washer on the probe couldn't flare out on the inside of the tank.

Soooo, does anyone have any recommendations for another brand/style of probe I should look into? Possibly some that can be screwed directly into the side of the tank?

Any input would be super helpful. Thanks so much!
mtnroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I don't know haw far you are into your install Horst probe install so this may be a moot point, but have you looked at the Seelevel system.
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...onitor-system/

Welcome to the forum
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnroots View Post
I'm looking for probes that will work on a couple holding tanks that have 3/8" thick walls..

I tested the Horst probes on a 1/2" thick piece of plastic to see if they would hold, but as I started tightening up the nuts, the probe started backing itself out of the hole, which is what I assumed would happen since the rubber washer on the probe couldn't flare out on the inside of the tank.

Soooo, does anyone have any recommendations for another brand/style of probe I should look into? Possibly some that can be screwed directly into the side of the tank?

Any input would be super helpful. Thanks so much!
No need for new probes. 3/8" walls are thicker than they need to be, so it should be possible to countersink the holes for the probes (drill partway through at a larger diameter) to thin out the walls to a thickness that the probes can handle.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Use s drill press and a forstner bit to get a flat countersink area and depth control...or risk ruining tank!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote