Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Potential 4 a Horrible Mess

When my FC23FB was brand spankin' new, I made a mistake. We went to a campground as part of the shake down cruise, and I hooked the potable water hose to the black water rinse system by mistake. The 2 inlets are cheek by jowl, so it was very easy to do. End result was an overflow of the black water tank into the bathroom. Thankfully, the black water tank was a virgin so it was only clear water, otherwise the "new coach smell" would have been eliminated rather quickly. A couple of times since then, I have found myself starting to make the same error, fortunately, I've caught it before I "messed up".

Now the big question. Has anyone else had this experience, and what can be done to positively prevent it from happening?

The best answer of course is PAY ATTENTION, but when your an old geezer that doesn't always work.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
If I'm remembering correctly on mine,black fitting = black tank. And yes, I've come close!

Not sure if you really would do this twice though. First off, I immediately heard the tank being flushed (i.e the sound of flowing water). Second, you wouldn't have water pressure if your pump is off.

If your still worried, throw a zip lock bag or a rubber glove over the black flush. Better yet, throw a trojan over it! You'll get a good laugh every time you open the compartment. Plus, you will be protected!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I have 3 possible solutions

#1 screw on a pressure regulator to the water inlet...you will be able to tell the difference and they are a good idea anyway

#2 colored tape- blue tape for fresh, black tape for pooh

#3 mark with a sharpee
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Wow. That's a killer. I would suggest spray painting the black water inlet with a neon colored spray paint. Just lightly. Cut a hole in cardboard so it just allows that hookup to poke through. A thin coat of spray paint shouldn't damage it or cause a problem with the threads. They sell marker paints in neon colors.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
There's a member on here - I think it's ROBERTSUNRUS - who has a nice little engraved plaque with "City Water" over his inlet. His Airstream is immaculate and his little signs only serve to enhance.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Label the hookups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
There's a member on here - I think it's ROBERTSUNRUS - who has a nice little engraved plaque with "City Water" over his inlet. His Airstream is immaculate and his little signs only serve to enhance.
I also did this. The PO had no manuals. As a complete newby at the time, I also barely averted disaster. Afterwards, I used a label maker to make labels for all of my connections and valves.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I leave a 12" section of black garden hose attached, easier to connect and harder to mistake black hose for good water. Capped open end.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
This is a slight hijack of the thread, but on my '14 FC 20 I find it interesting that the fresh water inlet, the black tank flush inlet, and the 30 amp 120 volt power cord inlet are all in a vertical line, with the power cord on the bottom. So, if you have any leaks in your water inlet connection, the drip flows right down over the power inlet and cord.

I know, so does rain, and water can run down the side of the trailer, but it would sure make better sense if the power inlet were not located in the worst possible spot, below the water inlets. That only increases the potential for a problem.

Heads up, Airstream designers. Actually use your product, look at how things work, fix dumb things like this.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I agree that the drive to lower costs sometimes appears to compromise other important factors.

A good design should never have the black and drinking water spigots located together because of the possible cross contamination.

IE: The CLIPPER had the fresh water in a bay separated by the drive axle from the sewer bay.

On later models the fresh and waste systems were all combined within a single bay.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1052748

I realize on a trailer you have few location choices, but I would think having the fresh water inlet behind a separate locked door might be of value.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
This is a slight hijack of the thread, but on my '14 FC 20 I find it interesting that the fresh water inlet, the black tank flush inlet, and the 30 amp 120 volt power cord inlet are all in a vertical line, with the power cord on the bottom. So, if you have any leaks in your water inlet connection, the drip flows right down over the power inlet and cord.

I know, so does rain, and water can run down the side of the trailer, but it would sure make better sense if the power inlet were not located in the worst possible spot, below the water inlets. That only increases the potential for a problem.

Heads up, Airstream designers. Actually use your product, look at how things work, fix dumb things like this.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I realize on a trailer you have few location choices, but I would think having the fresh water inlet behind a separate locked door might be of value.
On my Airstream Interstate, it's the other way around, with the black tank flush fitting behind a locked door— the same locked door that has the discharge hose for the macerator pump.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
How about putting a quick connect on one but not the other?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Tnx to everyone who replied for all the ideas,,, I went with the quick connect on the rinse connection. I put it on real tight, so it should not vibrate off, and put the other end on a green flushing hose, so the two can never be hooked up wrong. Well they could be but I'd really have to work on it to do so.