Old 01-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Portable waste tanks

Anyone use a portable waste tank?
While camping at Casini Ranch here in California last season I saw people pulling waste tanks to the dump station.
Some of the more desirable campsites (with views of the Russian River) do not have full hookups...just water and electricity.
For a weeks stay rather than pulling the trailer to the dump station I was thinking about getting a PWT.

Any thoughts?
They come in 12, 18, 27, and 35 gallon tanks.
Are they too messy to deal with?
Too big to deal with? (35 gal)
How do you use them? From the pic in the CW catalog it looks like you "lift the front end" and poor into the dump station hole in the ground? (what's the hole called?)

Getting excited about spring camping.......

millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I use a generic 22 gal tank. It comes with a stainless handle you can hook to your hitch and tow the blue boy to the dump. 22 gal is big enough for me and my 3 grandkids for the weekend. I use it mainly for grey water as my 71 only has a black water tank. A full 22 gal tank is heavy enough (7#/gal x 22) I would not want to wrestle a bigger one.

Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
Question tote

Great question, I am also thinking of getting a portable tote as my AS only has a black tank and as I hope to attend more of my units rallies which do not offer waste hookups. I was also wondering if anyone can suggest a good place to buy one as they seem to be quite expensive for what the are, a big plastic tank.
higgy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I spotted on of them fellers last year a hitched up to his blue boy. I supposin it was bout 30 gallons or so. I was on my mornin walk when I heard him a comin, wheels was a squeakin, cryin for lubrication. He done got past me, there was one wheel a wobblin somethin horrible.Then it happened-- Wheel went astray!! Clunk - tank just a draggin on the asphalt!! woulda been sparkin if twerent plastic. Well didn't take but 2 shakes and the bottom plumb wore off that blue tank bein as it was bein towed behind a vehicle that was a pumpin out some kinda dixie tunes. The sewage was a spillin all over the road and the feller pullin it just went down yonder a whilistin away. So they had ta call the haz-mat authorities and created some ruckus as the only road into the place was - well - it was sorta messy. yup them new folks need some learnin. I'm rememberin the early campin in the tent in the 50's when we had one them thar thunder jugs that the ole man mt ever mornin in the outhouse.

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
We use an 18 gal. blue boy (it's gray) it is a newer model, vary ez to use never had a prob. If we conserve at campsites with showers etc. my wife and i can get 3 nights, that is 4 days of camping. We only use it for gray water not black. Boondocking would require different methods for water use and disposal. I like the blue boy!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
We have a 32 Gal. 4 wheel Barker tank. It comes it handy as we dry camp a lot. It works great and I am very satisfied with it. You will find that a lot of folks modify the rear wheels on this model, switching from the standard solid wheels, to pneumatic wheels that you can purchase cheaply at Harbor Freight. It's quieter and rides better on these wheels and it is a quick and easy mod. Most folks leave the front steering wheels as is.

With low height drain pipes and camping on a flat surface, it can be a bit of a problem getting the trailer tanks to drain into the portable tank. When I am in this situation, I find that I can usually lift and finagle the hose to start a siphon action that works well.

I find the tank easy to pull by hand when full (this is subjective of course). I pull it in in the woods on leaves and such, or on the sand, depending on where I am camping and where I have to place the tank when draining the trailer tanks.

If you shop around on the net you can purchase these tanks at a pretty good savings.
1999 28' Safari
2012 F150 Platinum Max Tow 7650 GVWR 3.73 Elec. Locking Diff.(Prev 2003 Dmax).
Honda EU2000i, Equalizer Hitch
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
One of the events at the RMVAC Rodeo last year was Blueboy lassoing (sp?)
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I purchased the largest tank Barker makes 42 gallon,thinking bigger is better. We used it several times last yr and were pleased with it. Its a little tough on soft ground,but the wife and I had no problem. It tends to be just a shade high, In fact almost level with the outlet of the trailer. I have created a short dump hose to eliminate the kinks and having to finagel(as someone said) the hose around to get it to flow. The short hose(3ft) is good at the dump station cause the tank is very close to the dump opening . Makes it alot easier that horsein around a 20 footer. The little short hose cleans easy and is easy stored in a large zipper bag. In transit the tank lays on its side in the truck an only takes up 12 in x 4ft across the floor,I hold it in place with a pickup loadlock. I bought direct from Baker eliminating the dealer profit. They do have a website. I did how ever order by phone.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We have a 25 gallon tank and I wish Camping World had had a larger one when I bought mine. Our gray tank is 39 gallons and with two adults and one adolescent we can fill the gray tank every day. That means filling the blue tank twice a day sometimes. This can be a pain in a sandy site as the wheels will bog down in the sand. My tank has four wheels so I pull it behind my truck to the dump station. I only use it for the gray tank. Our black tank will last for about 5 days and we have never stayed more than three days without a sewer hook-up.

Get the largest one you feel you can handle. You will be glad you did.
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
My 22 gal fits in the back compartment of my 25' classic. I would however get the largest you feel confortable taking with you. If you empty even half of your black tank, you do not have much room in the tote to flush with some grey water. Another consideration is the height of the exit pipe and the tote tank. Gravity does not do the job of emptying. When I use the tote, I also use a macerator pump for this reason. Pain in the neck but better than pulling out trailer to dump station.
Ed Keyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Thanks for the info...

What sparked my interest was the add in Camping World's RV View. The Thetford Smartote PWT 209.99 for the 35 gallon tank.

If we decide to get one it will be to tow our gray water to the dump station....don't think I want to carry our poop around the campground waiting for an accident to happen (thanks doorgunner)

With two young boys and three dogs we easily fill our gray tank daily.

For now "full hookups" is probably the best for us.

millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Gray water - tow blue tank to dump station! Black water - tow trailer to dump station!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post
With two young boys and three dogs we easily fill our gray tank daily.
How often do the dogs shower?

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I am ordering the 32gal Tote-N-Stor for $119 this week.

HERE is some more info on this brand of "Blue-Boy."

Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote