Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Portable Macerator Pump

I looking at purchasing a portable macerator system and welcome any and all recommendations. I don't want a system that would need a water supply to run. In March I went to purchase a new stinky slinky and the end would not fit on the trailers sewer connection. I have a 1990 Excella and was wondering if there are systems out there that would connect directly without any pipe modifications? Is there a name for the twist fitting on the Excella so I can spec out the correct connection?

Thanks

Bill

Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I have no experience with portable macerators, but if your Excella is "stock", then you likely have the Thetford sewer fittings rather than today's much more common Valterra sewer fittings. You can still buy the Thetford fittings. They're not as common in retail stores, though they're widely available online. I've noticed that Camping World does not routinely stock them. There are times when you may find it beneficial to use the Thetford to Valterra adapter, such as when you're using a hydro flush or similar contraption, or as in your case when you're trying to connect your new hose to the Thetford fitting on your Airstream. Unless you want to make the complete conversion, you can use the adapter when you use the hydro flush, and buy the Thetford hose end fittings to replace the Valterra fitting that's on your new hose.

Amazon.com: Valterra T05-2285VP Thetford to Valterra Universal Adapter: Automotive

Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Thank you, I know Thetford makes a portable system so I'll bet they would have the correct hose coupler. I returned the set up I purchased in March the day I picked it up as we were camping in Myrtle Beach, S.C. when I sprung the leak. Now that I know what my end is called I can get the new hose as a backup.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
I have no experience with portable macerators, but if your Excella is "stock", then you likely have the Thetford sewer fittings rather than today's much more common Valterra sewer fittings. You can still buy the Thetford fittings. They're not as common in retail stores, though they're widely available online. I've noticed that Camping World does not routinely stock them. There are times when you may find it beneficial to use the Thetford to Valterra adapter, such as when you're using a hydro flush or similar contraption, or as in your case when you're trying to connect your new hose to the Thetford fitting on your Airstream. Unless you want to make the complete conversion, you can use the adapter when you use the hydro flush, and buy the Thetford hose end fittings to replace the Valterra fitting that's on your new hose.

Amazon.com: Valterra T05-2285VP Thetford to Valterra Universal Adapter: Automotive
X2. I use one and carry a spare for when the "wings" break off.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote