Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Dunwoody , Georgia
I did the same as Dan:

I installed a Thetford Curve in ours and it works well for us.
We only pea in it. We can go 5 days normally. It is cheap, lightweight, easy and clean. Whats not to like?

I looked at (and could always still change) the natures head. But most of the places we camp at have facilities and the cost of the composter was 8 times more than the Curve.

I like the way it looks and works so far. Can always go back to a black tank system if I want, or composter. Everyone's needs are different so just go with works for you!

As previous post indicated, spend the extra ten bucks and get a hold down bracket. It doesn't come with the bracket, and you don't want it falling over in transit!

mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
Thanks all for your repkies! Here is what I will do: Fix and reainstall the Galvanized pan for the black tank. Install the plumbing, basically have it ready to go should I ever decide I need a black tank. I looked hard at composters and they are very nice but out of budget. The Thetford Curve on the other fits nicely into my budget and I can spend the money elsewhere. Thank you all!

Lucky Dave
I'm betting that after you've experienced the joy of dumping a porta potti in a public restroom a few times, you will install your black tank. I have done it and there are all kinds of things that can go badly and be very embarrassing. Also consider whether you will ever want to sell the trailer at a later date.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina

I own a boat with a porta potti now. It works fine. I get the dump detail. Its a matter of preparation. Frankly I don't like messing with black tank dumping , and who knows I may install the tank down the road. I would rather spend money in other ways this go around. Again preparation is key, plumbing installed. Galvanized pan prepared , etc. Then if the porta doesn't work out. I spend the extra$500.00 or so and install the black tank with toilet.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
We dump our Porto at the campsite where you would run your slinky. Our gray water goes there also. If there is no on site hole we dump the Porto into the portable gray water tank and haul it to the dump station.. Never had to dump into a regular toilet yet. Depends on wher you camp I guess. This is not a joke. Just sayin. Jim

avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote