Old 10-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
Pooo in my shower!

Yes, that's nasty! I have a 1973 airstream land yacht. Its about 24'. I have primarily used this airstream on the deerlease. Now i have taken on the road last minute. I am eventually going to restore it. But for now, i have to make due and live in it. I have my sewer line hooked up, and i guess i dont understand how it works. I have found and pulled 1 valve handle, that is in the back inclosed in the rear bumper. Pooo water came into my shower! What could be wrong? And how on earth do i fix it? I do not have a owners manual on this old boat, so what would be the general procedure for running the sewer sysem at a rv park with sewer and water hook ups? Any help getting this nasty stuff out of my trailer would be greatly apprciated, as i said i live here for the time being.

Thanks

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You have no grey tank and the shower and sinks are connected directly to the drain line with no valve. The black tank has the valve. When you opened the valve there must have been an obstruction in the hose or the system you were dumping into. This caused the black water to backup into the shower.

Clear the obstruction and hose out the shower. Clean the area thoroughly with a sanitizing agent.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
So the handle in the back. If its pulled out, is the valve closed? and pushed in, the valeve is open? the other way? I think the obstruction is in my trailer, as the hose is empty outside. Is there a clean way to clear that obstruction? I dont want to get sewer on the ground, probably frowned on by the park, as well as by the government.

I think the clog is internal to the trailer, as the hose is empty. Is there a way to clear that, without getting the stuff allover the ground? I dont think the park would like that? Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
When you pull the dump handle it opens the valve. Push to close. If this was a deer camp trailer, with infrequent use....you may have a case of the infamous "black mountain" built up in the tank and valve area. As you describe it....the outlet is blocked at or before the valve . Soak the tank with a solvent like soap....some dump in a pail of ice cubes and go for a rough ride to scour the tank.....this should clean up any problem. Then remember you do not have a grey tank. So....if you use the shower or sinks....have an out let open so it will not back up into the shower. A hose connect cap or a blue boy will solve that.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
You have been a great help! I will try that. But I fear if i unhook my sewer hose, the worst will happen. Is there a way to snake it?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
After you dump the honey tank take a flashlight and look down the toilet into the tank. You should be able to see the flat bottom of the tank, which is a good thing.

Next go outside, open the dump valve and crawl directly under it (unless you are chicken and use a mirror) and look up through the valve which should look relatively clean. Some configurations may not let you do this but you will probably be able to probe with your hand or some reasonable facimile. Just don't get your hand stuck and open dump valve before you crawl underneath it.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummm, don't forget to use a glove for this cleansing procedure.

What can't one learn how to do on these Forums.

Maggie
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
A blockage in the tank will cause problems, but not the problem you are experiencing. There is a short run from the valve to the outside connection. Any blockage to cause your situation would have to be between the exit connection and where the grey water "t's" into that line. On my trailer the pipes are located in the rear bumper and it is easy to see where the grey comes in.

Pulling the valve handle out opens the valve. Pushing it in closes it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
I tried plungering at the shower drain, I can hear it gurgeling in the tank. Sounds like anyway. Still full of @#&^! Wont go down. I cant find those lines you are talking about. M drain to sewer come out straight down about 1/3 the way under the trailer. I figured it came straight out of the tank. That's not the case?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntxtrm
You have been a great help! I will try that. But I fear if i unhook my sewer hose, the worst will happen. Is there a way to snake it?
Is water still standing in the shower? Hopefully it has drained down. Looking through the toilet flap valve, do you see liquid in the tank? Can you close the dump valve as things are now?

If I understand how your sewer is plumbed, the toilet sits atop the BW tank. The outlet has a single dump valve leading to the outlet pipe. The drain line from the sinks/shower enter the outlet pipe downstream from the dump valve. It really sounds like when you started to dump, a clog of material formed somewhere beyond the junction of the shower drain line forcing the liquid and smaller stuff to back up into the shower until it equalized with the level in the BW tank.

If you can close the dump valve you have a chance of minimizing the mess on the ground. Place a bucket under the outlet to catch whatever may come out and disconnect the slinky. Confirm that your slinky is clear of any obstructions, then see of you can clear the obstruction between the outlet and valve.

You might want to make a run over to Camping World on I-35 just south of Forth Worth, assuming you are in Cleburne. They carry these things:

You may need a Valterra/Thetford adapter if it doesn't fit on your outlet pipe. This gadget will allow you to blast water back up into the dump valve to flush the tank and the outlet. Just keep an eye on the shower to be sure you don't overflow it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3053404287.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	171541  
Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Are you getting any drainage out of the large outside discharge connection? If you can't see the valve itself through this opening the design must have a bend. Try flushing out from the outside discharge with a garden hose and see what happens.

When you say you hear gurgling when you use a plunger I am guessing the dump valve is open. Try closing it and use a plunger.

My guess is there is some dried out you know what causing the blockage. Keep soaking it. It will break free, but may take a while.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It sounds like your sewer drain hose is still connected? If it is full of discharge then the problem most likely is not with the valve at all. Close the valve and disconnect the sewer hose. It you keep the upstream end high you may avoid a gusher.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
If someone can tell the OP where the the toilet tank outlet is in relation to him standing in front of the throne. Why can't he then run a "Snake" down the line?

Attacking this from the valve end seems like it would end messily.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
Brown poo water in the shower, and brown poo water in the tank below the toilet seem to be about the same level. Pulling on the dump valve handle, or pushing it in, seems to do nothing. Could the valve by disconnected from the handle, somehow? Slinky hose is empty. Had some suff in it earlier, but you could pick it up and let gravity take it into the park sewer system.