Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If the dump valve is closed there is no way for the black water to back up into the shower. The only way is for the dump valve to be open and a there is a blockage downstream of the dump valve and where the shower drain comes into the line.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
another symptom that might help you all help me. when i run water into the bath sink, you can see toilet paper push up into the shower.
huntxtrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
Also when i run water into the toilet. Which makes no sense to me. If the grey water drains below the vavle, then how is that possible if the vavle is stuck shut? Gott to be something stuck right at the outlet? My luck previals again, i fear?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Shower does not drain into black water tank.

Toilet paper coming into the shower is from a blockage downstream of both the dump valve and the grey water T.

What is happening is since the shower drain is lower than the level in the black water tank it flows out of the shower drain because there is a blockage past the point where the lines come together.

This is probably good news because a blockage usually can be cleared, but changing a dump valve is a lot of work.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntxtrm View Post
Also when i run water into the toilet. Which makes no sense to me. If the grey water drains below the vavle, then how is that possible if the vavle is stuck shut? Gott to be something stuck right at the outlet? My luck previals again, i fear?
The dump valve has nothing to do with the grey water discharge. Other than a cap you close the discharge outlet with for travel, grey water is directly discharged similar to rain gutters on a roof.

If the dump valve is stuck ****, oops I mean shut, no way for #2 to get in your shower. If it is stuck it is stuck open or partially blocked.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
septic pump out

I would suggest that you call a septic pump out company, like the ones that rent the blue rooms, to flush and pump out your tank. They will be able to empty your tank through your toilet inlet. Once you get your tank emptied a valve replace or rebuild would be possible.
altnbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
Im not understanding, i guess. I dont see another drain anywhere to cap. All there is, is one drain. And it comes straight down, directly out of the dump valve. T'd off to the left and right just below the dump valve are 2 1-1/2" lines. I dont understand where else the fluids could go. And if toilet paper is coming up in the shower, when i put water in the toilet? It seems to me, it should drain out of there. There is only about 2" of fluid in the tank under the toilet. This is the first time I have ever had this problem with an rv, and it just makes no sense how it is plumbed to me.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
I am going to Put a small wire through the hose up into the dump valve to see if it is opened. Maybe I wont get too much poo on me. Keep your fingers crossed! Ill wash mine well when im done. Ill let yall know the outcome.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Sounds like maybe at some point the black tank valve was left open while the unit was hooked up to the sewer and there is a build-up near the final exit where the slinky attaches.

Is there by any chance another valve near the final exit that someone may have installed for some reason?

The blockage has to be after the gray water "T", or near the final exit for the black water to back up into the shower.

This sounds like the same way our '65 Caravel is plumbed.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by altnbndr View Post
I would suggest that you call a septic pump out company, like the ones that rent the blue rooms, to flush and pump out your tank. They will be able to empty your tank through your toilet inlet. Once you get your tank emptied a valve replace or rebuild would be possible.
I would not recommend that.

The equipment they have is not designed for the job, may cause more damage and certainly cause more of a mess. Picture somone dragging 25 feet of sewer hose through your trailer and turning on a high volume suction.

Most likely there is nothing wrong with the valve at all, and if there is, the valve has just come unattached from the handle inside the belly pan. It will be easy to tell once the blockage has been cleared.

Any kids been in the trailer? It's amazing what they throw down the toilet.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntxtrm
That would be my luck! But, it looks like the valve is made like you said before. grey water enters downstream of the valve. Or does the shower itself drain into the waste tank like the toilet?
Think gravity. In your setup, the shower drain is below the BW tank. If they were plumbed together, the BW would be backing up in the shower all the time. The sinks and shower tie into the outlet pipe downstream from the dump valve. Your blockage has to be downstream from where the sinks/shower drains tie into the discharge pipe.

If you said you heard gurgling in the tank when you attempted to plunge the shower, that tells me the dump valve is at least partially open.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Is this the first time you have used this trailer?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
One of the previous owners of our Caravel made a hole in the floor to be able to run wires, cable, electrical etc., outside without leaving the access door to that compartment open. The opening contains the same exact fitting used to connect the slinky to the dump on the trailer. It has the same type cap to close it off when not in use. At the International Rally in Salem OR a few years ago when they came around to dump us all, one guy tried was about to hook up their dump wagon to that fitting. I showed him the correct fitting and got dumped.

I know it's a long shot, but does you trailer have the same thing? Are you sure that you hooked the slinky to the dump valve on your trailer?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Im not understanding, i guess. I dont see another drain anywhere to cap. All there is, is one drain. And it comes straight down, directly out of the dump valve. T'd off to the left and right just below the dump valve are 2 1-1/2" lines. I dont understand where else the fluids could go. And if toilet paper is coming up in the shower, when i put water in the toilet? It seems to me, it should drain out of there. There is only about 2" of fluid in the tank under the toilet. This is the first time I have ever had this problem with an rv, and it just makes no sense how it is plumbed to me.
If there are no modifications there is only one discharge. You seem to be on the right track.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
Took a stiff piece of wire, inserted it into the slinky hose straight up through the vavle into the tank. still not draining. Valve has to be open, or the wire would not go up into the tank, i would think. Going to go buy a snake and a gallon of gas. I'll try the snake first! LOL
Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
How do you know the wire went into the tank? Could you see it down through the head when you open the toilet flapper?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Took a stiff piece of wire, inserted it into the slinky hose straight up through the vavle into the tank. still not draining. Valve has to be open, or the wire would not go up into the tank, i would think. Going to go buy a snake and a gallon of gas. I'll try the snake first! LOL
Why though the slinky? Did you try directly through the valve with the slinky disconnected? Do you encounter resistance pushing the wire through the valve into the tank, like pushing through softening ca ca. If you have no resistance and can freely wiggle the wire there is no reason the tank would not drain.

If you feel resistance is it downstream of the valve slider gate? That would explain the poo ending up in the shower.

There is a gizmo that works pretty good from RV stores. It is a wand you attach a garden hose to that sprays out water in several direction to rinse out the tank.

I suspect previous users have done their business in a dry tank which dried into the "Black Hills" referred to earlier. When you use the tank it should be with the valve closed until it is fuil enough to dump. Don't leave the dump valve open until you are ready to dump the tank.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Cleburne , Texas
Ok, I got it fixed! Went and got some rubber gloves, and did the nasty! It was blocked right at the danged fitting! Just like someone said. I tell you one thing, those tanks hold a quit a bit of pooo. When i pulled that sucker loose, the valve was open! I know i was told! I forgot! I paid! Had to flood all around my trailer with fresh water.. Going to get some bleach now, to douse the ground with, to kill the smell. There was a gob of paper and nuggets hung up right at the connection. How do i avoid that in the future? Do I need to keep the waste gate closed, until the tank is full, then dump it once in a while? I think someone mentioned that? Yes this is the first time I have had this rv out. No, I have never had one set up in a park. They are always at the deer lease, with an out house in operation. Please give me all the info you can, so i can avoid this terrible, terrible situation again. Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Ooooh, that's really grossss! Yes, you should leave your gate closed until your tank is pretty fully. Then the swooooch will take everything out instead of little bits at a time. It also helps you avoid "Black Hills", which is pretty descriptive in & of itself! You should always put a couple gallons of water in the tank to start with. If I were you, I'd take a bunch of ice & dump it in the black tank & take her for a ride. It'll clean the tank up & make things have a fresh start. I'm a believer in using the campground facilities for the "pooo" as you call it! I am too grossed out by it! I can sympathize though. I lost a toothbrush in my trailer the first day or two that I had it! I did a lot of digging in that black tank! Glad you got your turds out! Ha! Ha! (oh, and welcome to the forums!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntxtrm
... How do i avoid that in the future? Do I need to keep the waste gate closed, until the tank is full, then dump it once in a while? I think someone mentioned that? ...
Exactly! After dumping, put several gallons of water into the tank. The more liquid, the more completely and freely it will dump. Keep the dump valve closed until you're ready to dump. A tank 3/4 full where everything is floating is the key. You may still have a lot of solids in there after today's experience. I might start with 10 gal of water and a cup of laundry detergent. Then use as normal. The added water and detergent will help loosen things up in the week or so before you need to dump again.