Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
polyethylene holding tank fitting to ABS???

Hello,
We are the new owners of a 73 argosy20 all in pieces by now. I am doing a shell off restoration. The frame was fixed and painted with por-15, the new plywood is cut and the insolation is 98% done. Now, I found this polyethylene holding tank from pellandent.com (04-H247) that would fit perfectly under the floor in the first bay behind the wheel. They will install vent pipe and drain connection to my specifications. I believe they are 1/2''. I will need two. What fitting should I ask for? flush or not? How is The ABS connected to those fittings. I know the end drain is 1-1/2''.
What size pipe goes from the sink to the tank fitting.

Thank you ALL!!!
73ArgosyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
grey water 1 1/2" black holding tank 3" you want the slip-on fitting coming out of the tank so you can slip the 3" abs inside.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
I only have a gray water holding tank. No black holding tank. I will install a compost toilet. So you slip on a 1-1/2'' ABS pipe to the tank and connect to the waste valve to it? Do you use silicone to attach the ABS to the tank fitting?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
My understanding is that they spin weld fittings onto the poly tanks. Ask the company who is building the tank for you what might work best. I don't know if there is a "glue" that will weld poly to ABS. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong. "I got a PM, yet no glue, spin welding only."

On my poly fresh water tank they spun on female threaded fittings. I used Teflon tape on the threaded fittings. I would go that rout on a grey tank, with a 1.5 fitting.

And... Welcome to the AS forums!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothayer1 View Post
grey water 1 1/2" black holding tank 3" you want the slip-on fitting coming out of the tank so you can slip the 3" abs inside.
How does the slip on fitting work? Does It use a rubber coupler with large hose clamps? Or do they spin weld on a slip pipe that can be glued to ABS?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
My understanding is that they spin weld fittings onto the poly tanks. Ask the company who is building the tank for you what might work best. I don't know if there is a "glue" that will weld poly to ABS. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong. "I got a PM, yet no glue, spin welding only."

On my poly fresh water tank they spun on female threaded fittings. I used Teflon tape on the threaded fittings. I would go that rout on a grey tank, with a 1.5 fitting.

And... Welcome to the AS forums!
Thank you

You are right, they are spin welded to the tank. I will go with a 1.5" threaded fitting For the sink drain. The lady at pellandent told me the end drain will accommodate an 1-1/2" pipe, but couldn't tell me how they would be secured
together.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
There are only a few glues available that will bond polyethylene to other plastics permanently.
Tap Plastics makes one as well as this product from 3M. If you use one of these adhesives, it will be permanent.

Another way that works for me-
Insert a length of 1.5" ABS pipe into the outlet and seal it with adhesive sealant and a stainless steel hose clamp. Clean the tank outlet with a strong solvent such as MEK or acetone, then coat the part of the ABS pipe that will insert into the tank outlet with a high quality polyurethane ADHESIVE/sealant like 3M 560 or 3M 5200 fast cure. Secure with a hose clamp and allow the sealant to completely cure before leak testing.
Good luck on your project!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
Thanks for all the replies.

I will post pics of the restoration soon.