Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Plumbing vent ?

I have a leak coming down the vent pipe.

I took a look up top, I see a hose going thru the metal housing but I see a space.

Anyone tell me if I'm missing a piece?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
yes you are!

there are neoprene gaskets under the aluminum caps!

look here http://www.airforums.com/forum...nts-24437.html?

john
Old 09-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
yes you are!

there are neoprene gaskets under the aluminum caps!

look here http://www.airforums.com/forum...nts-24437.html?

john
Hey John,

I've been meaning to bring this up since the last time I looked at your great "vent refurbishing photos". I could be wrong, but I think those fiberglass mesh pieces are supposed to go over the top of the vent pipe, sealing the opening to the aluminum housing, to keep the bugs, trash, etc out of there and to keep those little drain holes in bottom of the housing open. Yes?

That's the way they were when I re-did my vents. I couldnt get the fiberglass stuff, so I used aluminum screen, formed it so it fit up in the top of the aluminum covers and "Vulkemed" it in place from the inside, flush with the top of the vent cover. Bug and trash sealed, but open. Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
bill

i have seen them both ways.

the general idea is vulkem/screen/gasket/cap with vulkem around the edge.

as long as the gasket gets replaced! that is the important part, either way it gets done with gasket or screen first can't matter that much in the long run.

john
Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Exclamation That should make a big diifference

Wow I don't have a screen because last week I found an old bee nest out of it and snaked it out from the top.

Should I get the factory gaskets or just get something from NAPA and make my own?

One last point doesn't the cap need a weep hole for the water that gets in the cap?

If you saw the damage this did to the floor........I cut a 30x48 hole near the bath just off center to fix the wood rot.

Then I saw the real mess glubbed up pink wet like a sponge insulation, as I said in some of my other posts this insulation is the achiles heel of the AS.

I took it all out of the front and rear belly pans including the bannana skins.
It was all useless and heavy.

After I clean all the steel up and POR it it will get closed up with NO insulation.

I'm fiberglassing the floor inside, then putting on a layer of R-14 bubble, then pergo.

Now there was a silver lining in all this.

one of the waste gates was dripping, now I can fix them from above thru the open floor.

Are rebuild kits avail for the Thetford 1447 valves?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Should I get the factory gaskets or just get something from NAPA and make my own?

One last point doesn't the cap need a weep hole for the water that gets in the cap?
i got my gaskets and screens from inland rv. they were an exact fit and reasonably priced.

yes the weep holes seem like a good idea, especially here in the north if water was trapped in the aluminum cap then froze i would not be suprized if the ice could damage it or pop it completely off the roof!

john
Old 09-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #7
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Drain holes

My 76 sovereign has two drain holes in the low side of all the aluminum caps. If you look at the photo of Andy's (Inland RV) replacement cap on his website, then you can see the drain holes. If your's don't have the holes, then you could drill them, pretty simple.

I got my rubber gasget material at LOWES, in the plumbing dept, for about $1.50 each. Comes in 6"X6" squares, red rubber. Then cut them to size. Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote