Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

2007 28' Safari SE
LAs Vegas , Nevada
plumbing damage due to tire blowout

I was happy to discover this website today while looking for on-line information about fixing my 2007 Safari. (It's the most helpful info I found!) Here's my situation. The rear leftside tire recently blew, damaging the aluminum skin behind the wheel and shearing off the plumbing from the black and grey water tanks. This will me my frst Airstream repair and I'd appreciate some insight from someone who's been down this road before. Where can I get parts for the repair? There isn't an Airstream dealer for over 200 miles from where I live and I need the left side aluminum skin that runs from under the trim panel to the underside of the trailer for about a foot and the plumbing hook-ups for the black and grey water. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
TJ Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Rice View Post
I was happy to discover this website today while looking for on-line information about fixing my 2007 Safari. (It's the most helpful info I found!) Here's my situation. The rear leftside tire recently blew, damaging the aluminum skin behind the wheel and shearing off the plumbing from the black and grey water tanks. This will me my frst Airstream repair and I'd appreciate some insight from someone who's been down this road before. Where can I get parts for the repair? There isn't an Airstream dealer for over 200 miles from where I live and I need the left side aluminum skin that runs from under the trim panel to the underside of the trailer for about a foot and the plumbing hook-ups for the black and grey water. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Photo's would be very helpful.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We had a blow out on our 34' several years ago, right rear tire. Although there wasn't any damage to the skin, the wheel housing was toast. Fortunately, no plumbing was damaged, although the furnace duct to the bedroom was wrapped around the tire tread. The repairs, completed by an Airstream dealer, came to $2000; our comprehensive insurance covered all but our $100 deductible.

So, before you do any work yourself, perhaps check with your insurance company & have an adjuster or local RV repair shop take a look at it.

At the time, our tires were only 3 years old & were Marathons. We replaced all 6 tires after the blowout.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Ditch the GYM's before they do it to you again.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Pics would be good. A google search showed no Airstream dealer or service outlet in your area, as you mentioned. The closest AS outlet would be over the hill in Los Banos, CA. Toscano would be my choice, we've heard good things about them and every time we pass by, there's a lot of coaches having service work done.

RV Dealer in California: New & Used Airstream RVs, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers & Motorhome Sales, Service & Parts in Los Banos, CA.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Sorry for your damage.

Post photos. Filling an Insurance claim is good advise.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #7

2007 28' Safari SE
LAs Vegas , Nevada
Thanks - photos coming soon

Thank you for the responses. That's good news about your successful insurance claims but my $1,000 deductible encourages me to explore all options. My wife is working on getting you pictures. Once you have them, you'll see why I think I could make the repairs if I could get the parts. It's just the darker colored "skirting" aluminum in the rear quarter panel that needs replacing. It looks like it could be a pre-formed part and even if it isn't, most of it is underneath the trailer. You'll also see that I need the aluminum "moulding" that finishes the top of the wheel well and I know I could replace that part. Then you'll see how the plumbing was sheared off and that too is probably a matter of replacing parts. I'm a retired mechanic so I'm used to thinking that I can fix anything if I can get the parts. Are Airstreams that much different to work on?

My wife says that the pictures will be up "soon".

Thanks again.
TJ
TJ Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Saw this movie...

TJ,
AS's are fairly easy to repain, some special tools may be needed if you need to shave rivets. We too had a blowout this year that tore up some of the "darker" colored aluminum called bannana wrap just aft of our axle and forward or the step. Simple rivets, some larger head rivets and some TLC put the wrap back in PDC condition so I re-used that. I may someday replace that with a new piece. We too are no-where near an AS dealer. AS will only ship to you direct if you go through a dealer though.
Our curbside rear tire (GYM) is what came apart.
Plumbing, ABS is fairly easy...
ID your parts, order 'em and get to them, OR there are some great AS folks near enough for a weekend visit.
Good luck!
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing