Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Please Help Me Find The Right Tanks

We are at the next phase of our traveling dream project. The water and holding tanks.

We were able to find New Old Stock for the freshwater tank and thankfully even with shipping the tank was under $300.

After several attempts to use the correct word or word combinations in the forum search and reading several great threads, I still can not find a direct replacement for the Main and Auxiliary tanks for our center bath '79 31ft Sovereign. I have seen where some have done custom tanks but in order to keep on budget (okay to keep from going over budget by thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars since the budget was shot after the first project), I need to try and find tanks that are more common and hopefully carried by local venders.

I have sent off correspondences to places like Inca and InLand. But the tanks will run 350 or more plus shipping. I also asked Airstream directly if there are current replacement tanks or cross-referenced to other tanks. They told me to contact Inland, Vintage and Silver Trailer Supply. They do carry several different tanks but nothing with the same part number or are not close enough as replacements (as "off the shelf" replacements).

Google search and I can find several blogs and threads for rear bath sovereigns.

We are replacing most of the interior but would like to keep, at least close to, the same areas for the kitchen, bath and toilet.

Has anyone used "off the shelf" waste tank replacements for their center bath? What model number or numbers work the best?
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Starsteam! It sounds like you are sliding down that slippery slope with your 79 Sovereign that so many of us have succumbed.

The google search function on Air Forums works better than "key words" search. There may be others who have done what you want to do.

I purchased my tanks from Inca. They have a huge catalog and can likely replace the tanks in your trailer. The prices you mentioned don't surprise. A slippery slope indeed!

Polyethylene tanks last forever. One of the disadvantages of plastics. Polyethylene tanks are very repairable. If yours are leaking, or a connection broke off, or something like that, maybe you can remove the tank and have it repaired. Not with epoxies or adhesives, but with an experienced plastic tank repair person who will "weld" the repair. This may be a cheaper alternative for you.

As you know, it is a bear to remove these tanks! You might even have to take the axles down to get at them.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks See Level Senders.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	233346  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thanks David for the information. I have your threads on the tanks and install bookmarked for reference and was one of the first I found.

I was just hoping one of the RV parts stores here would have replacement tanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
A few years ago we were in your shoes. Chris got frustrated enough with the lack of tanks in configurations he wanted, that he taught himself how to make waste tanks. Much much cheaper than buying custom but stinky work. We bought a new fresh water tank from Inland RV as you can't really make those, unless you want to try stainless steel. Our tanks have stood the test for 4 years so far with no problems. If you're REALLY interested in taking it on, see our thread: Little Girl Refurb in the 1972 sovereign section.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Outstanding

Thank you Kay
Old 03-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Kay,

I just have to say WOW. I only got to page 38 this afternoon but will finish the whole thing. Thanks for adding in all the PDF's of your guys build! That is a huge help.

Again, thank you,
Old 03-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
That's Chris. He's a very detail oriented guy. I just added the occasional post. We still have one cabinet to build over the bed, and some smaller stuff to do on the inside. Haven't decided on polishing yet. ...
When we first started, we did (and still do) a lot of reading of other threads on the forums, and have gotten a lot of inspiration and help from the forums.
Good luck and keep posting!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote