Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Montezuma , Iowa
Pain in the a## drip

I have a 74 31' AS. There are two white hoses way in the back that come out the bottom. One of them drips constantly when hooked up to city water. I have tried to trace them, but it appears it would require really tearing into things. where do these come from?
toverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi toverman. Welcome to Air Forums where a lot of advice is offered and is absolutely free!

Airstream plumbing systems change through the years. Most of them have circuits in them to help drain the water system for winterizing. You didn't mention the size of the hoses that are leaking. I wonder if they aren't 1/2 diameter or so.

There may be a ball valve or maybe a gate valve that can be opened to help drain the system. Maybe such a valve is partially open or leaking internally. If it only happens while pressurized on city water, and not on 12v pump water, then look for a valve somewhere near that hose.

Part of the fun of these old Airstreams is figuring out how they were built and how they work. You may have to look in cabinets and closets to find this drain valve.

By the way, Airstream's idea of a valve and drain hose on the "lowest" part of the circuit is not a guarantee all the water is out of the trailer. There is nothing like compressed air blow and then filling the system with RV antifreeze for proper winterization.

Maybe some other Sovereign owner will further diagnose your "drippy hose" pain.

David

Some of us would just put a bucket under it and then empty the bucket on the rose bush now and then. Much easier than messing around with some valve.
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Toverman

They are the "low point" drains. In my '76 the valves are right inside the rear trunk door. I replaced all my plumbing with apex and in stalled new valves. This area is really easy to work on in my trailer.

Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks Dennis. One test I forgot to suggest to toverman was the taste test. Some Airstreamers are good at verifying the leak is not a black water system leak. Just capture a little of the leaking water and taste it. Even I can tell the difference between fresh water and black water. This test will narrow the possibilities of the problem.

More free advice!

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Ewwww!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by toverman View Post
I have a 74 31' AS. There are two white hoses way in the back that come out the bottom. One of them drips constantly when hooked up to city water. I have tried to trace them, but it appears it would require really tearing into things. where do these come from?
I've got a '77 31 ft Sovereign. Every inch of my fresh water plumbing is copper.

1) Do you suppose a previous owner replaced a section of copper plumbing with white hose??

2) Is the "dripping" you describe coming from the pressure relief valve?? I've got mine set at 45 psi.....and it's set to "drip" when city water pressure exceeds 45 psi. It's a safety feature.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
ewwww!
agreed!!!!'
Old 08-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
The white hoses are attached to,the 2 drain valves with red handles in the back hatch and pop through the belly pan.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Pain in the a## drip

In our 75 Overlander with rear trunk these red handled valves were (notice I wrote "were") globe valves. New washers and cleaning the seats will stop the drip. A PO likely replaced the hoses at some point - ours were brittle. The problem is working in such small space.
Our copper plumbing had so many patches in it that leaked, I removed all of the plumbing except the water heater and replaced it with PEX - new ball valves for the winterization drains, new pressure regulator, new faucets, etc.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote