Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
The black water tank on my '73 was on top of the floor under the bed but I moved it under the floor and added a grey water tank next to it. If my grey water was backed up into the shower I would put the cap that doesn't have the garden hose connection onto the drain pipe sealing the drain system. Then I would open the grey dump valve, then open the black dump valve and wait 30 seconds or maybe as long as 1 minute for the grey water to run into the black tank. Then close the black valve, then the grey valve and both tanks would have the same amount of water in them. Have a bucket ready to catch the 2 quarts of grey water trapped in the outlet when you remove the cap! This only works if both tanks are at the same mounting height. Where is your black water tank mounted? Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
2023 25' International
Houston , Texas
Buy one of these, Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve, Twist-on Valve - Valterra T58 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World . Install it on your sewer dump fitting and close it. When the grey tanks fills, go outside and first open the gray dump valve, then open the black dump valve. The grey will flow into the black tank and I doubt the grey tank becomes very contaminated. After the transfer be sure to close both the grey and black valves. When I do this the water level is then equal in both tanks. The second time you transfer grey to black the efficiency is not as good as the first. After 3 times you better go to the dump.
veratipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cloud View Post
My gray water backed-up into the shower stall almost over flowing it. Had to run outside and open up the gray water valve which emptied the shower stall and the gray water tank. Has anyone experienced this before on a 2013 '25FC FB?

That is what happens if your gray tank is full and you continue to run water with the gray tank dump valve closed. There is nowhere for the water to go. The water will begin to exit the system at the lowest open point which will be the shower or tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Orland Park , Illinois
draining gray tank into black tank

I have not tried this yet but I just bought the parts at home depot. My idea is to take the drain hose 1" pipe thread and adapt to a short garden hose and pump into the black tank flushing port. This would be using the macerator pump to do the transfer. It sounds pretty simple if it works. I will find out next month when I'm down in Texas.
richguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richguy View Post
I have not tried this yet but I just bought the parts at home depot. My idea is to take the drain hose 1" pipe thread and adapt to a short garden hose and pump into the black tank flushing port. This would be using the macerator pump to do the transfer. It sounds pretty simple if it works. I will find out next month when I'm down in Texas.
That sounds like a bad idea, at least after reading about several people complaining about the black tank flusher getting plugged up.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote