Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Outside Sewage Smell

We had our 1984 25' Sovereign out for the first time this weekend and everything went fairly well except for 1 problem. On our 3rd day we noticed a urine smell coming from the trailer. This only occurs outside, the inside is fine. The toilet was only used during the night if someone needed it. We are a family of 4 and the toilet at most got used 4 times a night to pee in only. We added chemical and extra water to try and dilute the smell but it seemed strange that we would encounter the smell only on the outside. There were no visible puddles anywhere and the bottom of the trailer seems reasonable solid. Any help or comments is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Sorry I don't have any ideas for you. Let's hope it was the neighbors trailer you got a whiff of.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hmm... Maybe you have a crack in a pipe or holding tank and have a slow leak into the belly pan? The insulation could be absorbing the liquid. If you continue to have this experience - you may have to drop the belly pan to Id and repair the issue.

Or as suggested earlier - maybe it came from somewhere else?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
It is possible there is no leak at all. A) The smell might be coming from the vent pipe b) You did not have chemical in the black tank to start

Try dumping and refilling with a few gallons of clean water and chemical. Is there now no smell? You might not have any leak at all. Mine smells horrible when I dump, but only outside, and it goes away once I refill 1/4 water and chems (No Smell is what I use). Good luck! Tim
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
They don't call the hoses "stinky slinky's" for nothing. If you use a slinky, replace it every 2-3 years --- or annually if it's a cheapy. They develop pinholes!

(I use a "Sewer Solution" The type of hose on that doesn't let any odors penetrate.)

Also, you didn't mention whether your children were boys. ... and then you must consider your neighbors too. Many men seem to regard the entire earth as their personal urinal. You might be having someone using a tree near your dump valve for that purpose.

Once you move if the problem disappears it was the neighbor. If your problem persists and a talk with your menfolk ascertains that they aren't going near the trailer, then drop the belly pan ASAP.

Paula
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
If the smell is only outside and you have no leaks (and no male visitors using a nearby tree), it is very likely that the odor is coming out the blackwater tank vent. We have the same in a very controlled environment (our driveway) when I backflush the blackwater tank. In that case, odor appears when water is forced from the outside into the tank causing the air in the tank to go out through the vent. In your case, it might be than the tank is cold at night, warms up during the day, and the warming, expanding air in it comes out of the vent.

Of course, leaks of some sort are the first thing to look for.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Look for a male cat.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Look for a male cat.
Yeah...we all know female cats don't pee!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Update

Good news. We just got back from a 3 day camping trip and the advise to partially fill the tank and add chemical did the trick. No smell whatsoever. Thanks to everyones advice and I know I will be asking more questions as time goes on. Have a great week.
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy67 View Post
Good news. We just got back from a 3 day camping trip and the advise to partially fill the tank and add chemical did the trick. No smell whatsoever. Thanks to everyones advice and I know I will be asking more questions as time goes on. Have a great week.
Yes you will be asking the same question again. Filling the tank and adding chemicals did nothing. In 40+ years I have never added a single chemical or water to any of my tanks. That is the number one myth of camping.

There were 2 good suggestions noted above, some animal that liked your site or a leak. With the small amount of usage you claim I hope it was an animal but I lean towards the leak.

As for the vent pipe short of climbing up on the roof and taking a close sniff I doubt you would ever smell odors from it at ground level. Most problems with vents are when they are installed close to a roof vent and odor is blown back down into the trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote